Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Rode in a Hydrogen Fuel Cell vehicle today

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-08, 03:45 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Rode in a Hydrogen Fuel Cell vehicle today

Ive always been very interested in those alternative energy vehicles and today, i had a change to sit in one while it went on a small course.

it was an entire hydrogen event, and there were cars from ford (focus), toyota (highlander), Mercedes (looked like an A class), Chevy (equinox, if thats the SUV looking one). After signing a release form i went in the line and got to ride in the highlander...damn, the merc was right behind it. lol.

anyways, it was pretty funny because when the ford focus came around, the guy was like, who wants to ride in the ford...and it was total silence with everyone looking away. i knew the people in front of us (who kept passing on the cars) was waiting for the benz, so my friends and I just went for the highlander when they passed for it.

inside, it looked like a regular highlander hybrid (the old generation, not this 2008 one), and all that was different was the nav monitor had hydrogen diagrams instead. it was soooo coool! total props for the future. duh, its an electric car, so it was so silent without an engine. the drivers in the car were pretty enthusiastic with the gas pedal too, and those cars can really go, if you can imagine all the torque at 0.

all you hear is a whine, kinda like a monorail. the guy who drove the highlander told us it held about 4 kg of hydrogen gas and that the range was bout 210 miles.

not bad, i cant wait to actally own one
Old 04-19-08, 07:58 PM
LexFather

Thanks for sharing