Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Not Sure But I Think My Neighbor's Trying To Avoid Repo

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-08, 05:50 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Not Sure But I Think My Neighbor's Trying To Avoid Repo

He lives about 5 or 6 doors away and I don't know him at all but for the last 2 weeks he's been parking his '05 or '06 Lexus ES in front of mine and my sister in-law's house. Her son has a 97 ES and she has a LS. My nephew told me last week he saw a man with a clipboard of papers standing next to his car. The man was comparing his notes to the my nephew's car. So it looked like the man with the clipboard initially thought my nephews' car was the one on his list. We put two and two together and we think that the owner of the '06 ES is trying to avoid the repo man. When I came home from work on Friday, I saw him just getting out of his car and walking down the street to his home. Of course his driveway was empty. If what I think is true then it'll be messed up if his ride is taken from him. He keeps his car clean all the time and appears to be well maintained.
Old 04-20-08, 06:22 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't pay, then you should have your ride repo'ed.
Old 04-20-08, 08:51 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

It's a tough economy, don't bite off more than you can chew.
Old 04-20-08, 09:58 AM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

People come up on hard times. It's a fact of life, Don't judge unless you know their story.
Old 04-20-08, 12:37 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

well at least we know he likes his car. I feel sorry for the guy in a way, but in another, like another has said, don't bite of more than you can chew. I'll give him this though, he's pretty smart to be parking it where he's parking it. and if anything does go wrong, youll be able to take care of it considering your not the one doing anything wrong
Old 04-20-08, 12:47 PM
Kamikaze2b
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Driving around in a car that you don't own, and aren't paying for is theft. Times are tough for a lot of people right now, doesn't mean he gets special treatment.
Old 04-20-08, 02:38 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yes it sucks that his car may get repo'd but what would suck even more is to see one of your family's cars get towed away by accident.

maybe park across the street?

but then again - maybe he's just parking closer to your cars because he doesn't want to get his damaged by someone targeting him? i dunno - i try to think of multiple solutions for everything.
Old 04-20-08, 04:18 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by litesoarer
People come up on hard times. It's a fact of life, Don't judge unless you know their story.
What is there to know? I agree times are tuff and things don't always go as planned, but if you can't afford the car payments, then sell it and pay the maney back. Deliberately avoiding having the car repo'ed is like someone said earlier "theft". I hope everything works out for the guy involved, but he should do the right thing.
Old 04-20-08, 04:24 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I was unaware when ownership of a car not paid for became a right protected from judgment.
Old 04-20-08, 04:25 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

For example, they may have been able to afford the payments and then some just fine. But were laid off or something like that.

The neighbor may be trying to avoid repossession (which will really do a number on your credit) while they figure out a way to get the money to pay the payments, or search for a new job.

That's why i said, don't judge them unless you know the story.
Old 04-20-08, 05:28 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

For example, they may have been able to afford the payments and then some just fine. But were laid off or something like that.

The neighbor may be trying to avoid repossession (which will really do a number on your credit) while they figure out a way to get the money to pay the payments, or search for a new job.
So what. They can't pay for something they bought. They have to give it back if they can no longer afford it. Avoiding repossession is theft, you are taking something that you are no longer entitled to. I would suspect 99% of people avoiding the repo man have no ability, or intention, of making up the past payments. Taking a hit on your credit is something we are all responsible for when we make financial decisions. It does not excuse theft.
Old 04-20-08, 08:05 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That's why i said, don't judge them unless you know the story.
It is still the wrong thing to do. Not making payments for whatever the reason is, then trying to hide from it being repossessed wont help protect your credit anyway. When the repo man is called that means it already went to collections so your credit is shot already. The damage is done. Either way it is theft. We can judge him because when the rest of us fall, or fell on hard times and we couldn't afford something like a car, we sold it. I've had hard times in the past just like anyone else, but I never defaulted on any loan that I owned. When I ran into financial difficulty, I sold things I didn't need and even got rid of a few cars. That is what responsible people do. Not avoid fail to pay for many months then avoid the repo man. If, and this is a big if, the repo man is really after this guys car, that means he is many months behind. Not just 2-3 months, More like 6+ months. If he can't afford it, sell the car the pay off the loan.
Old 04-20-08, 08:56 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A close friend of mine had both their cars repossessed, never realized the way the bills piled up but the cars came in last when it came to what was most important, the way they did things was not the smartest, but in the end their Explorer was repoed, but since it was the cheaper of the 2 vehicles the repo guy brought it back cause they caught up on the payments and he took the Grand Cherokee V8 Limited, guy was nice and they did not avoid him, they actually knew he was coming and gave him the keys to the vehicles, reason why he brought the Explorer back for them.

Hiding your cars from the repo man is not smart, once the paper work goes through the bank wants them back, and good luck getting stopped and explaining your situation to the cop, pretty much what your doing is driving a stolen car
Old 04-20-08, 09:02 PM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

the economy has probably been in this slow state for at most 3 years. within that time, at the first sign of trouble, they should have slowed spending, and if problems did arise, they could probably mortgage their house.

seeing as how they could probably get a few hundred thousand out of their house, they could probably easily pay off the car payments if they kept their spending low.

just a thought.
Old 04-21-08, 04:04 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with you on that one. Obviously I don't know him or know of his status but hey he could've lost his job or something. But not keeping up with the payments and hiding the car from the repo man is still wrong. Although the car is registered with the guy's name, the "true" owner of the vehicle is the bank until that note is paid off.

Quick Reply: Not Sure But I Think My Neighbor's Trying To Avoid Repo