Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus says hybrid technology "defines" the Lexus brand in Europe

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-08, 09:15 AM
LexFather

Post Lexus says hybrid technology "defines" the Lexus brand in Europe

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2008/03...and-in-europe/

When I (an American) think about the Lexus brand, the first thing that comes to mind is not its hybrid option. In Europe, it seems Lexus and hybrid are synonymous because a Lexus official told the BBC, "Hybrid is Lexus brand defining technology." We have written about the increasing Lexus hybrid sales in Europe over the years and even the shocker that hybrid Lexus vehicles were outselling the gas versions 4-to-1 in Europe. Sainsbury's chief executive, Justin King, gave up his Maserati Quattroporte for a hybrid Lexus. Overall, though, Europeans still love diesel and aren't big fans of hybrids. Also, and you might find this hard to believe (he wrote sarcastically) but Europe already has one (or two?) luxury car brands.

So, why is the Lexus hybrid doing well in Europe when hybrids and even Lexus is not doing well? Complete lack of competition! "Only Lexus has hybrid, and we have three while others have yet to launch one" the Lexus company official said. Lexus was the only hybrid we could recommend to Yoko Ono when she lamented the lack of a comfortable hybrid because, as the BBC notes, Audi, BMW and Mercedes don't currently sell a hybrid.

So, word to GM and Ford (two companies apprehensive about hybrids in Europe), here's how you get hybrids to work in Europe: make them high-end. Diesel is "a more honest technology" than the hybrid system, said BMW's outgoing sales and marketing director, Stefan Krause. Still, we'd rather see a hybrid BMW on the sales lot than more concepts.

Old 04-20-08, 09:40 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i think the fight between diesel and hybrid in europe is going to be a very interesting (and important) one
Old 04-20-08, 09:51 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Well, it definitely helps Lexus stand out.
Old 04-20-08, 10:18 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the S class hybrid will stir things up.
Old 04-20-08, 12:37 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well the RX is selling well cause it's the only SUV hybrid lol. (That and in the UK, it's exempt from Congestion Charges)
Old 04-20-08, 03:03 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

diesel will probably win at the end especially with bluetec appearing in Merc an VW models. sooner or later, audi and bmw will catch on.

lexus really has to start making cleaner diesels as well
Old 04-20-08, 03:25 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RXSF
diesel will probably win at the end especially with bluetec appearing in Merc an VW models. sooner or later, audi and bmw will catch on.

lexus really has to start making cleaner diesels as well
At almost $5.00/gallon, you really think diesel will win over hybrids?
I think anything diesel is a waste of time at this point. The fuel is way too expensive to offset any of the additional MPG gains. If the Germans (and Lexus for that matter) want to continue developing more diesels, they need to be in the form of diesel-hybrids. Otherwise, it does not make a bit of sense to use them over petrol when they are more polluting and do not provide savings at the pump.

Their main focus at this point should be on Plug-In hybrids. Diesel anything is old school technology and would be a waste of R&D money for them. The best option for fuel savings and lower emissions are Plug-Ins
Old 04-20-08, 03:38 PM
RXSF

old habbits are hard to change. Diesel is and has been popular in Europe for ages. Im pretty sure Diesel is still the winner in terms of gas mileage and cost of running a car.

in the eyes of europeans, their petrol is way more epensive, i think it comes close to $7 a gallon US, so i think diesel will win over there.

i agree that diesels and hybrids are not the long term solutions, but in order to reach a final solution, many steps have to be taken, and clean diesels is one of them
Old 04-21-08, 09:40 AM
@lpher
Lead Lap

In my part of europe...dieselprices are now about the same as for regular petrol...
Old 04-21-08, 09:53 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

hydrogen-plug in-hybrid would be interesting to see from Lexus muahaha.
Old 04-21-08, 09:57 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by @lpher
In my part of europe...dieselprices are now about the same as for regular petrol...
Here, diesel is about the price of midgrade.
Old 04-22-08, 06:12 AM
LexFather

I have a feeling the new hybrid only Lexus coming out next year is going to sell like hotcakes in Europe.

Old 04-22-08, 10:20 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I have a feeling the new hybrid only Lexus coming out next year is going to sell like hotcakes in Europe.
personally i think that's their main target. i think it'd going to be interesting to see how that car does here in the US
Old 04-22-08, 10:32 AM
RXSF

personally i think that's their main target. i think it'd going to be interesting to see how that car does here in the US
i woul think well. many middle to upper middle class families would love a high mileage oriented hybrid that had the lexus name plate. not everyone wants to drive a toyota prius, so a lexus prius should do quite nicely.
Old 04-22-08, 10:39 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nextourer
Well the RX is selling well cause it's the only SUV hybrid lol. (That and in the UK, it's exempt from Congestion Charges)

Even Top Gear has resorted to using the RX400h as their chase vehicle in the segments filmed in the City due to the Congestion Charge exemption.

Quick Reply: Lexus says hybrid technology "defines" the Lexus brand in Europe