Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Taste of Lexus Presents the Lexus Performance Driving Academy

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-08, 04:50 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Hey Guys, just got back from the TOL Performance Driving Academy and it was great. We got there at 8AM, registered, ate some breakfast. After breakfast they took about 25 of us into the back where we sat down and an instructor went over the basics about race car driving and it was very informative and can be used in everyday normal driving. Then they took us out to the coned track where we drove the IS 350, GS 450h and the GS 460. We got to go two laps then take a break and do another round of two laps. I got to do three rounds of two laps. I test drove an IS 350 with F performance mods and that things fast. The final part of the event they took us to another part of the track where we got to test drive the IS F. Three IS F would follow the leader which was a professional driver and we got to do two laps. I do have to say this was a very well organized event and I had a blast. Here are some pictures of today's event. Enjoy...

Last edited by Trexus; 05-29-08 at 09:48 PM.
Old 05-29-08, 04:58 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great summary and pics, thanks Trexus! It's making me more interested in the event...glad you enjoyed it!
Old 05-29-08, 05:06 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

nice summary, seems like i am going to have fun on sat

if the free event is this good already, i can't imagine what i am going to enjoy tomorrow in the paid event
Old 05-29-08, 05:27 PM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Trexus,

Did you do the Friday session or the Sat/Sun session?
Old 05-29-08, 05:32 PM
Trexus

Originally Posted by mikes rx
Trexus,

Did you do the Friday session or the Sat/Sun session?
I did today's (Thursday, May 29th) session which was a free session. I believe the Friday and Saturday session is paid...
Old 05-29-08, 05:42 PM
LexFather

Thanks Trexus!!!

Old 05-29-08, 06:36 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Just to clarify to everyone, because the CA event was the first to fill up of the 4 events across the country, the event today (Thursday) was just added last week to accommodate those who can't make it in for Sat/Sun. Friday is the Ultimate event which is the half day event with 2 sessions. Both Sat/Sun and the Thursday event were 2 hr free sessions.
Old 05-29-08, 07:57 PM
Trexus

Originally Posted by rominl
nice summary, seems like i am going to have fun on sat

if the free event is this good already, i can't imagine what i am going to enjoy tomorrow in the paid event
I spoke with a lady who worked there and she stated that the people who paid will get to spend more time in the IS F and have more detailed training...sounds very fun...
Old 05-29-08, 08:23 PM
Trexus

I forgot to also mention after the event we got a goodie bag and a $750 gift certificate towards a purchase or lease of a new 2008/2009 Lexus. That's so awesome and it's good till 12/01/08. Looks like I'll be getting a new Lexus soon...
Old 05-29-08, 08:41 PM
Bulls23337
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow thanks for the review trexus!! i'm even more anxious and looking forward to the free event!

so everything is done in coned sections of the parking lot? nothing on the actual track? and you got 2 laps per car?
Old 05-29-08, 09:02 PM
Trexus

Originally Posted by Bulls23337
wow thanks for the review trexus!! i'm even more anxious and looking forward to the free event!

so everything is done in coned sections of the parking lot? nothing on the actual track? and you got 2 laps per car?
The first coned driving session was in a parking lot type area. We got to drive either the IS 350, GS 450h, GS 460 or an IS 350 with F performance mods. We had a thirty minute time limit and we get to go two laps then take a break, get in line again and do two more laps. Our group consisted of 12 or 13 people so it went really fast and it really gets you going and you're not waiting around to go and drive the cars again.

The second driving session which was only the IS F's we got to drive with helmets on part of the actual track for two laps.

Last edited by Trexus; 05-29-08 at 09:57 PM.
Old 05-29-08, 09:19 PM
bobbo1978
Rookie

My performance driving experience was ruined by weirdly dressed fobby woman. Sorry, I had to vent, after making an 150 mile round trip to drive the ISF, my experience was ruined by the wife of this man of Chinese descendent from mainland China. She was doing 40mph tops on straight and slowed down to 25-30mph to take the corner. In fact, she was going so slow that the instructor thought her car broke down and had to pull out after a lap. So I had one lap very slow ISF driving.

The ISF drive goes in group of 3s, following the leader. If you went with friends then stick with them, or drive with group of enthusiast. Do not go with people who are just there to see Lexus cars. I had a really bad feeling about it but I didn't know she was that bad.

Otherwise, I had a great time. If I had this opportunity, I might have bought an IS350 with F accessories instead of my 135i. However, I am happy with my car and really enjoyed the event as well.

Last edited by bobbo1978; 05-29-08 at 09:26 PM.
Old 05-29-08, 09:26 PM
Trexus

Originally Posted by bobbo1978
My performance driving experience was ruined by weirdly dressed fobby woman. Sorry, I had to vent, after making an 150 mile round trip to drive the ISF, my experience was ruined by the wife of this man of Chinese descendent from mainland China. She was doing 40mph tops on straight and slowed down to 25-30mph to take the corner. In fact, she was going so slow that the instructor thought her car broke down and had to pull out after a lap. So I had one lap very slow ISF driving.

The ISF drive goes in group of 3s, following the leader. If you went with friends then stick with them, or drive with group of enthusiast. Do not go with people who are just there to see Lexus cars.
So bobbo1978, I'm assuming you were there at the 8AM session because I remember that older Chinese lady (she didn't look so good after driving the IS F). You guys must have been the latter group that drove the IS F. I was there with my girlfriend and she had a blast...
Old 05-29-08, 09:29 PM
bobbo1978
Rookie

Originally Posted by Trexus
So bobbo1978, I'm assuming you were there at the 8AM session because I remember that older Chinese lady (she didn't look so good after driving the IS F). You guys must have been the latter group that drove the IS F. I was there with my girlfriend and she had a blast...
I was at the afternoon session from 2:45 to 5. Following asian woman driver is generally a bad idea. (I am Asian.)
Old 05-29-08, 09:31 PM
Trexus

Originally Posted by bobbo1978
I was at the afternoon session from 2:45 to 5. Following asian woman driver is generally a bad idea. (I am Asian.)
I feel your pain. My girlfriend drove in front of me and she was flying down the track (she's Asian as well as I am)...

Quick Reply: Taste of Lexus Presents the Lexus Performance Driving Academy