Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Florida bans Truck Nutz (our lawmakers hard at work!!!)

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-08, 01:35 PM
stvn
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i saw those once and it was Fing hilarious!!
Old 04-22-08, 02:50 PM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
Those who hang ***** on their cars certainly lack taste but those who brought this amendment lack brain and common sense
WERD
Old 04-22-08, 03:02 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

And to think they called my RX in Mexico, El Toro Negro, The Black Bull, well welcome home to Florida.
Old 04-22-08, 03:21 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
And to think they called my RX in Mexico, El Toro Negro, The Black Bull, well welcome home to Florida.
Hey!

Out of Mexico for good?
Old 04-22-08, 03:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Jewcano

These ****** in power are slowly picking away at your rights.........
The issue is not p***ks, but what hangs below them.

And driving is not a right.....never has been. Legally, it is a priviledge.
Old 04-22-08, 03:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by J.P.
I can think of lots more constructive ways our government could spend their time and our money…………

Maybe they should make underwear for all animals so no one will see their “parts” as well?
You were saying?

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-22-08 at 03:49 PM.
Old 04-22-08, 03:53 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The issue is not p***ks, but what hangs below them.

And driving is not a right.....never has been. Legally, it is a priviledge.
Anything that I have to pay for I personally don't see it as a privilege. A privilege is something you earn. For example, you do a good job at work you can get a bonus. You aren't automatically entitled to it. A right is something you are born with or is given to you from the start. If they take that away then its not a right anymore is it?

I don't know where I went with my last paragraph, but all I can say alot of the things we consider privileges, which we pay for, imho, is not a privilege, just another service we purchase.

What happened to your "RIGHT" to express yourself? Why don't we force everyone to drive the same car, do the same job, and wear the same clothing? This is what this little bill is slowly doing; making everyone uniform.
Old 04-22-08, 05:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Anything that I have to pay for I personally don't see it as a privilege. A privilege is something you earn.
It's not a matter of what what we think, although we can, of course, express our opinions and desires on this forum. But, legally, driving is not considered a right, but a priviledge. That is not a debatable issue, but a fact.

What happened to your "RIGHT" to express yourself?
The same thing that prevents someone from falsely shouting "Fire" in a crowded theater. The right of self-expression, especially in public, is not absolute......the First Amendment does not allow limitless speech and expression.

We may not, personally, always agree with what is regulated and what is not in the area of free speech and expression, but, ultimately, it is the job of courts and legislatures to determine that.

This law is not absolute, either. If one or more drivers decide to file suit, this No-Nutz law can be tested in court. The court may see it like you do.....an unnecessarily restrictive law......but I wouldn't bet on it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-22-08 at 05:31 PM.
Old 04-22-08, 05:42 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The same thing that prevents someone from falsely shouting "Fire" in a crowded theater. The right of self-expression, especially in public, is not absolute......the First Amendment does not allow limitless speech and expression.

We may not, personally, always agree with what is regulated and what is not in the area of free speech and expression, but, ultimately, it is the job of courts and legislatures to determine that.....and, in this case, they HAVE.
Well who does it hurt? It hurts us. Why can't the people vote for or against it. Hell, why does an issue so FRIVILOUS as this even CROSS the minds of those in office. Why the hell is our money paying for them to waste their time and ours with retarded laws such as this. That is my main concern.

To add onto your last comment, it's not a threatening object or symbol of oppression is it? I mean I understand that the Confederate flag is more threatening to minorities than Truck Nuts. As long as no-one is showing ill will to anyone else, I don't feel it should be an issue.
Old 04-22-08, 06:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Well who does it hurt? It hurts us. Why can't the people vote for or against it. Hell, why does an issue so FRIVILOUS as this even CROSS the minds of those in office. Why the hell is our money paying for them to waste their time and ours with retarded laws such as this. That is my main concern.

To add onto your last comment, it's not a threatening object or symbol of oppression is it? I mean I understand that the Confederate flag is more threatening to minorities than Truck Nuts. As long as no-one is showing ill will to anyone else, I don't feel it should be an issue.
If you feel the law is unfounded (and you will probably not be alone), you, (and when I say "you", of course, I mean someone who lives in the state under its jurisdiction) can challenge it in court.

You ask why people can't vote for or against it? They can......under some circumstances. State residents can present the legislature with a petition to make it a statewide referendum, subject to popular vote.
Old 04-23-08, 06:59 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Hey!

Out of Mexico for good?
Yes. Since about a week and a half ago.
Old 04-23-08, 12:52 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I can almost guarantee you that this issue came up because one or more of those in office got complaints from their constituents about this issue. My mom worked in the state legislature in various offices and also the city council for about the last 25-30 years. This is how it works. They get phone calls everyday about certain repeating complaints, and also hear it at the local district meetings. When a certain complaint becomes fairly repeating and widespread, the elected officials generally take notice and write a resolution to become a bill. Anyway, what I am saying is it is the lawmakers civic duty to serves the people in his district first IMHO. If my district lawmaker doesn't do and vote for what I want him to do and vote for, I wont vote for him the next time.

That said, I really don't care if this issue became a law or not. Personally, if it did come up for a vote by the people, I would vote to ban it even though I believe you can do whatever you want to your own car. I'd vote to ban it simply because I think it is stupid and don't want to see it, and if you are going to give me a vote on it I'm going to vote for what I want.
Old 04-23-08, 02:17 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
In honor of this new law, I will put a car bra on my Camry with nipples on it...
Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Please post pictures
Here's an inspiration.
Old 04-23-08, 03:45 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Here's an inspiration.
Weaksauce. I should post a pic of a car with a Clearbra
Old 04-23-08, 05:33 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I can almost guarantee you that this issue came up because one or more of those in office got complaints from their constituents about this issue. My mom worked in the state legislature in various offices and also the city council for about the last 25-30 years. This is how it works. They get phone calls everyday about certain repeating complaints, and also hear it at the local district meetings. When a certain complaint becomes fairly repeating and widespread, the elected officials generally take notice and write a resolution to become a bill. Anyway, what I am saying is it is the lawmakers civic duty to serves the people in his district first IMHO. If my district lawmaker doesn't do and vote for what I want him to do and vote for, I wont vote for him the next time.

That said, I really don't care if this issue became a law or not. Personally, if it did come up for a vote by the people, I would vote to ban it even though I believe you can do whatever you want to your own car. I'd vote to ban it simply because I think it is stupid and don't want to see it, and if you are going to give me a vote on it I'm going to vote for what I want.
I understand 100% what you are talking about. However I am also worried about the fact that people are relinquishing their personal responsibility in exchange for laws. What ever happened to just looking away? What ever happened to moving to another lane? Why just because some folks don't like it do the folks who have them need to pull them off? I personally think they are funny, but don't think that cause someone doesn't like them, they should be removed.

What if people started to complain about CL stickers on Lexus Cars. And eventually a bill were created to ban the stickers, or you would be fined. Do you think thats fair? Why can't people just learn to deal with things and grow up. Unless the object in question is threatening or hostile, I see no harm.

Quick Reply: Florida bans Truck Nutz (our lawmakers hard at work!!!)