Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Florida bans Truck Nutz (our lawmakers hard at work!!!)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-08, 05:53 PM
cpone
There can only be One

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WTF?
What a ridiculous measure to be proposing and even voted on.
She should have been laughed right out of the building.

Here Florida is experiencing severe budget cuts and they are toying with NUTZ!? What a damn waste of time.
Email will be sent.

BOTH ARE STUPID!
Weston Democrat Sen. Nan Rich, who has tried in vain for her bill allowing officers to stop motorists for seat-belt violations, criticized the amendment.

"I found it quite interesting when I looked at this bill and we see we want police now to stop people and use their valuable time stopping people for dangling replicas of male genitalia from their trucks," Rich said. "There is no (bill) that would allow police to stop people for not wearing their seat belts, which, I think you will agree, would save many lives - as a matter of fact, about 192 a year."
Old 04-23-08, 06:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by cpone
WTF?
What a ridiculous measure to be proposing and even voted on.
She should have been laughed right out of the building.
CK6Speed, in his post, give us the main reason why she wasn't laughed out of the building.

I can almost guarantee you that this issue came up because one or more of those in office got complaints from their constituents about this issue. My mom worked in the state legislature in various offices and also the city council for about the last 25-30 years. This is how it works. They get phone calls everyday about certain repeating complaints, and also hear it at the local district meetings. When a certain complaint becomes fairly repeating and widespread, the elected officials generally take notice and write a resolution to become a bill. Anyway, what I am saying is it is the lawmakers civic duty to serves the people in his district first IMHO. If my district lawmaker doesn't do and vote for what I want him to do and vote for, I wont vote for him the next time.
Old 04-23-08, 06:18 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Jewcano
I understand 100% what you are talking about. However I am also worried about the fact that people are relinquishing their personal responsibility in exchange for laws. What ever happened to just looking away? What ever happened to moving to another lane? Why just because some folks don't like it do the folks who have them need to pull them off? I personally think they are funny, but don't think that cause someone doesn't like them, they should be removed.

What if people started to complain about CL stickers on Lexus Cars. And eventually a bill were created to ban the stickers, or you would be fined. Do you think thats fair? Why can't people just learn to deal with things and grow up. Unless the object in question is threatening or hostile, I see no harm.
Its not threatening anyone and is not a safety concern.
What if there were a bill to not allow the Ichthys symbol ('Jesus Fish')
or even offending bumper stickers...... We should just be more tolerant.
Old 04-23-08, 06:36 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i can see this being one of those things that cops will use as an excuse to pull cars over

i cant stand how many people just look for a reason to be offended ... seriously, do people have nothing better to do than get all up in arms about the most meaningless things ... *sigh*
Old 04-23-08, 06:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

We also have to understand, all of us here in this thread, that, whether we agree with the ban or not (I'm actually somewhere in between myself), we're looking at it primarily from the point of view of the car enthusiasts that we are. Cars mean a lot to us.....we all discuss them every day, around the clock. That is not so, however, with the general public...especially in a state like FL, where much of the population is old, retired, or primarily occupied with other matters....car enthusiasts like us are pretty much a minority. And people in public office have to deal with, listen to, and serve all of their constitunts, not just those of us who want to go around driving pimped-out machines. I think CK6Speed did a good job pointing that out in his post above.
Old 04-24-08, 06:22 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

As a Floridian, I also agree this is a waste of time. They should spend more time on trying to work on the budget and taxation issues affecting the state, not to mention insurance problems. Already, I noticed a $150 USD increase on my auto insurance (I have a perfect record) due to some issue involving hurricanes.
Old 04-24-08, 06:47 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that's awesome. it's great knowing that things like this can come to pass because it just makes it easier in the future when certain groups want to take other freedoms from us.
would i hang those things from my jeep? hell no! do i think they're cool? hell no. but i sure as hell want to be able to have the freedom to do it if i were so inclined.

if all it takes is people complaining, that just shows that people have nothign better to complain about or they just don't care about things that actually matter. maybe i'll start calling my representative and complaining about all the people who repeatedly do stupid **** while driving that is dangerous to themselves and everyone else around them. i wonder what the response would be? I'm sure it wouldn't be anywhere near as strong as what they are doing with the truck nutz. weird.....

Last edited by 19psi; 04-24-08 at 07:47 AM.
Old 04-24-08, 08:51 AM
cpone
There can only be One

Originally Posted by mmarshall
CK6Speed, in his post, give us the main reason why she wasn't laughed out of the building.
Yes but we vote these people to have common sense and respect our laws and privacy. What I put on my own vehicle should be of no concern to the legislature unless it has the potential to cause an obstruction of operation of that vehicle which it does not.
Old 04-24-08, 02:35 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know you'll probably disagree with me on this one. SICK, but I have to go with the legislature on this one. Personally, I can think of lots more constructive ways to use a vehicle than to hang bull n**s or nude bodies on them.
Its called wasteful spending and more big government telling its "subjects" what they are allowed to do.

Who cares if people want to look tacky as hell by hanging bull nuts on their truck/car. Its their right to look tacky and my right to make fun of them. I think they look very stupid, but I dont think they should be disallowed because some uppity out-of-touch lawyer/politician thinks they are inappropriate. They forget who they represent and they forget who pays their salaries.
Old 04-24-08, 02:51 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

It's not a matter of what what we think, although we can, of course, express our opinions and desires on this forum. But, legally, driving is not considered a right, but a priviledge. That is not a debatable issue, but a fact.

The same thing that prevents someone from falsely shouting "Fire" in a crowded theater. The right of self-expression, especially in public, is not absolute......the First Amendment does not allow limitless speech and expression.

We may not, personally, always agree with what is regulated and what is not in the area of free speech and expression, but, ultimately, it is the job of courts and legislatures to determine that.

This law is not absolute, either. If one or more drivers decide to file suit, this No-Nutz law can be tested in court. The court may see it like you do.....an unnecessarily restrictive law......but I wouldn't bet on it.

Driving may be a priviledge but displays on cars are not, neither is color, shape, etc, etc. So long as it doesnt hurt anyone or pose a danger to others

Your fire example is a terrible one. Shouting fire in a Movie Theater imposes a huge danger on others due to panic and fear. It most likely gets the cops called and the Fire Department... both of which wastes a lot of money.

Hanging truck nuts wastes no ones money other than the purchaser. It does not interfere with anyone's driving any more than a windshield banner that says "Civic" or "Drive it like you stole it". In fact, the banners are worse because they block the drivers vision somewhat.

What is or isn't legally recognizable isn't in debate here... and I doubt most of us give a rat's *** about what some idiot judges think. The point is, its fascism. "That is not a debatable issue, but a fact." This country's Constitution was founded upon the idea of there being various freedoms that were previously denied in the class-based society.

Our country is run by typical idiot Lawyer-boys that coasted through an Ivy-League school that their parents got them into; they sit away from the world at their local country club and play golf all day. I don't want people like this telling me what is right or wrong or what I can or cannot do based upon some shoddy notion of "Values" that they hold in their head. The PROBLEM is, that its hard to get them voted out because the majority of the country doesn't pay attention or doesn't care.

Last edited by Bean; 04-24-08 at 03:05 PM.
Old 04-24-08, 02:57 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tuan92129
Its not threatening anyone and is not a safety concern.
What if there were a bill to not allow the Ichthys symbol ('Jesus Fish')
or even offending bumper stickers...... We should just be more tolerant.
Yes!!! I find the "Truth" fish devouring the "Darwin" fish-thing very offensive. It is folly for "Truth" to be "eating" Evolution, since Evolution in itself is a "truth".
That is not a debatable issue, but a fact.
In fact, I find that most Christians have very terrible family values so I no longer want anyone to be allowed to put any Church adverstisements on their vehicle IE: "The most powerful position is on your knees". So since Christianity can be linked with bad things, we have to save the children and not allow them to advertise. Oh and I don't think that people that don't agree with my way of thinking should have the right to express themselves.

Fesicious? VERY. The sad part, is there is a piece of truth to this. People who think they have the "Truth" believe people with different opinions are just misguided, ignorant, or stupid. The sad thing is, it goes both ways; you 've got hippie social-liberals and religio-fascists (both elected to office I might add) that see the world in this manner. The "Truth" doesn't have to be a religious artifact either; it stands for a lot of things.

Last edited by Bean; 04-24-08 at 03:04 PM.