Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lawyer gives cop parking tickets

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-08, 12:04 PM
MrBruin09
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
What if he had to park his car two or three blocks away like everyone else, then gets a call while waiting for his food? Kind of a waste of time to have to run two to three blocks back to his car. What if that minute or two turns out to be costly to a victim?

Not saying it is right from them to break the law, but sometimes certain things are just not an issue. Time is of the essence for any emergency or law enforcement vehicle. Kind of reminds me of the stories of how people don't pull over for the Ambulance. One guy gave the Ambulance driver the finger as it passed, only to find out further up the road it was his own mother in a server accident. That is a true story from an EMS worker.
Well if the Cop is on Duty..then go to restaurant that has better parking period! Eat somewhere else if you have to park that far away. Cops aren't exempt for laws period!

If it such a big deal..than making parking spots for Patrol cars...solves the problem for everyone!
Old 04-22-08, 12:17 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VAL678
Why is the cop getting food while on duty in the first place!!!!

If he is off-duty then he should park his car and he would not be on call unless something huge happened, the officer was on duty and went to get food while on tax payers money, that is wrong.
Do they actually get a real lunch break? I know at my job we don't have a lunch break. We have to eat while working. We; however, only work 8 hours a day and not 9 like those that get a lunch break. I know the regular police shift in my city is also 8 hours so I don't think they get a lunch break.

PS. Let me clarify one thing. Since I always am talking about taking responsibility, I would agree that the cop deserved to get a ticket and should pay the fine. If you are caught, you are caught. My only real point is that this wouldn't have been an issue for me as I see everyone else parking illegally for the same reasons. If they get a way with it fine. If they get a ticket fine. Same for the cops. If they get a way with it, no problem. If they get caught and ticketed, they should face whatever consequence as well.

Last edited by CK6Speed; 04-22-08 at 12:48 PM.
Old 04-22-08, 01:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Come on....you're kidding me. What do you think keeps these places in buisness?

Old 04-22-08, 04:11 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty stupid IMHO.

They need to run back into the cruiser when somebody radio them for 911 call. Give them a break. Not all the cops are bad.
Old 04-22-08, 04:48 PM
stvn
Pole Position

lol punk *** cops. they think they can get away with everything (i've seen so many cops turn their siren on just to do some illegal maneuvers). good to see someone keeping them in check. although if it were an actual emergency i would not complain
Old 04-22-08, 05:20 PM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jewcano
^Again that is always a possibility. However, you are also neglecting to mention one more factor. Is there only one cop in that entire area? I highly doubt he was the only cop in that entire region, and the fact that there is a SLIGHT SLIGHT chance someone would happen in his area and he were the only cop there, then the notion of him parking in front of the restaurant in a no parking spot would be valid.

Think outside the box folks. This isn't the days of old where there was one sheriff in town. If most of ya'll go on a drive around town, you'll see plenty of cops everywhere. I see absolutely no merit for what he did, UNLESS he was the only cop in that entire district, all other cops were off duty, and there was an emergency that needed to be taken care of. If all three of those factors are satisfied, then and only then I agree with what he did, otherwise FINE his A$$.
There are typically a lot more than one of them in a city. When was the last time we hear them showing up in the middle of a crime. They usually show up on-scene AFTER the fact to write the report. Nor are they going to rush to a crime scene without backup. It's not like they are Fire or Paramedic where every second makes a difference.
Old 04-22-08, 05:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ntran18
When was the last time we hear them showing up in the middle of a crime. They usually show up on-scene AFTER the fact to write the report.
Yes, but making cops walk (or run) three or four blocks to get to their cruisers because they can't park in front of the store will only make those slow response times even worse.

That cop, like it or not, had a good point.
Old 04-22-08, 05:50 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The whole Idea here is that there WAS no emergency, NOR was there anytime during his visit. Had there been an emergency, then well, you can claim it a valid point. But at that particular time there wasn't. You should not be able to set rules, that you yourself can break.

He should have followed the rules and park out further. If he got a call on his little walkie talkie, he could have called another cruiser and perhaps that one may have gotten to the scene just as quick. But again, that is all speculation. Case and Point, Cop broke the law, Cop Deserves to pay for the ticket.

If I had a horrendous stomach ache and needed to get to the bathroom, and I had to speed to do it, I would be ticketed for it. I broke the law, but for an emergency. It isn't permitted for a civi, but its fine for a cop, especially when no emergency was present??
Old 04-22-08, 05:53 PM
okcfunky
Pole Position

The officer is in the right on this one. Further; misdemeanor charges are up to the officers discretion. Felonies they have to act on, the overwhelming majority of time at least.

And that lawyer just got himself a bulls-eye painted on his back; no more 2mph speeding; rolling stops; stop beyond the white line; under 100ft. turn signal before turning etc. etc.

Last edited by okcfunky; 04-22-08 at 05:57 PM.
Old 04-22-08, 06:08 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

If he is off-duty then he should park his car and he would not be on call unless something huge happened, the officer was on duty and went to get food while on tax payers money, that is wrong.
second that ... if you cant stand it and need a SNACK that's different ... and it doesn't require ordering and waiting for food
Old 04-22-08, 06:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by okcfunky
And that lawyer just got himself a bulls-eye painted on his back; no more 2mph speeding; rolling stops; stop beyond the white line; under 100ft. turn signal before turning etc. etc.
Absolutely......100%. I pointed that out in my first post in this thread. If he steps one foot out of the crosswalk, he'll be nabbed for jaywalking.
Old 04-23-08, 05:10 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by adam8065
Well if the Cop is on Duty..then go to restaurant that has better parking period! Eat somewhere else if you have to park that far away. Cops aren't exempt for laws period!
I think this explains it nicely. If the officer was on-duty, why would he choose to waste his time going to a restaurant with little parking? What kind of restaurant was this?
Old 04-23-08, 06:35 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

In california, they have the little "exempt" wording on the license plate of the police. Doesn't this exclude them from getting tickets?

I think the officer was in the right...he needs to be close to his vehicle. The lawyer is DOOMED...cops tend to back each other up and he'll be made an example of.
Old 04-23-08, 08:49 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

If anything this should serve as a reminder to those behind the badge that they are not immune or above the law that they hold others to so dearly-to a degree. How many times have we had a run in with that one arrogant cop for something very minor and yet we all know too well that they continually break the speed limit for no reason, cut people off, cause accidents, kill the innocent in high speed chases, improper parking, cutting in line at fast food places (yep, saw that too), etc...... Just like every profession there are the good and the bad. Most of the cops I know personally actually have a very high level of integrity but I would not expect them to park down the street as sometimes seconds can mean the difference between life and death for someone.

Case in point, recently a lady was on the phone with 911 here in So Cal (how she even got through to that outdated system is beyond me) while being chased by a robber in her own home. Had the police showed up just minutes earlier she would probably be alive. Instead she was shot and killed. No suspects.

They should be given a bit of latitude on some items though the law is not written in that fashion. The lawyer in this case is obviously more interested in his own agenda than serving the publics interest.

To add, cops are people too and enjoy nice food though seldom do they have that opportunity. For those that live in reality you know all too well how congested some restaurants can get at times. Are you saying that a cop cannot sit down and have a nice lunch with his wife or friend from time to time? They are allowed a lunch and have to eat the same as all of us.
Old 04-23-08, 08:53 AM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Not so much, school buses have those exempt plates too.

Quick Reply: Lawyer gives cop parking tickets