Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW 550 grows into 555I?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-08, 04:49 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

i agree with sens4miles and sick here. it is completely irresponsible as an automaker to keep increasing horspower. Lexus engines are at least relively fuel efficent and emission clean.

i think the 3.5 liter that lexus has currently is the best of the bunch. most notable on the ES, 270 horses with mid 20s is almost commendable.

by the time im 50, at least they will run out of numbers
Old 04-22-08, 06:19 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
As for what luxury should be? Well, I agree that a luxury brand should be about giving the customer options. That options could be anything from a 4 cylinder car to a V10 car and anything in between. That is what luxury is all about. Getting what you want regardless of cost. Nobody needs luxury. Luxury is simply that. It is an excess of what we want. If best fuel economy happens to come with the best power, great. If not no bid deal. It is luxury after all where we really don't need any of it. We just want it.
I'm joining this camp. Luxury is about excess, not need. If you wanted to buy something you need this would be Club Toyota not Club Lexus.
Old 04-22-08, 06:26 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Faymester
I'm joining this camp. Luxury is about excess, not need. If you wanted to buy something you need this would be Club Toyota not Club Lexus.
Good point and I see what Chris is saying..

HOWEVER,

Why can't luxury CHANGE? Why does it have to stay the same? Why does it have to continue to be about more and more HP.

In flagships or AMG/M etc cars, I understand.

Where is a 400hp 555 going that a 540 or a 545 or 550 can't go? I don't even think they put more power in b/c they want to, its because THEY HAVE TO as cars continue to get heavier and heavier with safety and electronics and luxury items.

I am not saying stop ALL the fun, HECK NO! What I am saying is MORE effort needs to be made in making things FUN/LUXURIOUS AND FUEL EFFICIENT.

ANY engineer can get more power out an engine. Thats not even a challenge.

Any engineer can add TURBOS to get more power out an engine. Thats not rocket-science.

Not EVERY engineer can get more power and make it more efficient. Those that do, probably get drowned out by marketing.

Luxury is about LEADING, so LEAD the way with power AND fuel economy.

Old 04-22-08, 07:47 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
and how fuel efficient is this 4.4 liter going to be?
It's 2008. We don't need to be driving around in 400hp vehicles that get crap gas mileage when the cost of fuel is $4/gallon. Luxury or not, whether you can afford the gas or not, it's unnecessary and environmentally irresponsible for these companies to continue to make bigger and more powerful gas guzzlers without trying to enhance fuel economy. Both BMW & Infiniti are the biggest offenders in the luxury segment, in my opinion.
The car companies respond to our desires (well they are supposed to). BMW owners (like myself) want more powerful cars and better gas mileage. The new 4.4L twin turbo engine gives you exactly that. Sound's like a win win to me.

Curious about your BMW comment with regards to it being the biggest offender in the luxury segment. Is that because of their M vehicles?
Old 04-22-08, 07:50 PM
RXSF

lol their numbers dont even make sense. 4.4 liter called the 550? misleading. even if you account for the turbo, it should be called the 455i
Old 04-22-08, 08:47 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RXSF
lol their numbers dont even make sense. 4.4 liter called the 550? misleading. even if you account for the turbo, it should be called the 455i
you mean the 545i?

it IS the FIVE series.
Old 04-22-08, 09:07 PM
RXSF

lol i think you just diagnosed me with dislexia and a case of fast typing. lol
Old 04-22-08, 09:19 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RXSF
lol i think you just diagnosed me with dislexia and a case of fast typing. lol
Its a marketing mess. While it happened in the past (normally a slight round up) I started noticing it back in 1998 with the 323. There was a 328 with a 2.8 L engine and then the 323 came out with a 2.5L engine. Couldn't call the thing a 325 cause that sounded too close to the 328 and people wouldn't spend the extra cash!

Since then there have been all sorts of fun things
540s with 4.4L engines (1997-2003)
545s with 4.4L engines 2004-2005
550s with 4.8L engines 2006-2008
525s with 3L engines 2006-2007

328 and 330s with 3L engines

The list goes on....

THANKFULLY the new X6 goes to a much simpler naming convention
Old 04-23-08, 12:36 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Guess BMW isn't worried about CAFE standards.

So whats the point of buying an M5 anymore?
MINI and the expected hybrids will probably take care of that.
Old 04-23-08, 03:15 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This new car will be more fuel efficient than the outgoing 550 believe it or not thanks to direct injection and the twin turbos. The turbos combined with direct injection works for the 335 which averages 20city/30hwy compared to the previous 330i which averaged 17/25.
Old 04-23-08, 05:55 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with sens4miles and 1sick. The HP wars were really awesome at first. It was quite cool to see higher and higher HP cars being produced but it's getting out of control. Like 1sick said, where will it stop? In 30 years are we going to see AWD Accords that weigh 5,500 lbs. with 600 HP that get 35 MPG? How about 40 years from now? Thanks to CAFE, this won't be happening and to be quite honest, I'm glad. At this point in time, CAFE may seem too strict but believe me, manufacturers will find a way to get 35 MPG out of a 400 HP car by 2020, and the HP wars will start all over again.
Old 04-23-08, 06:12 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You people complaining about fuel mileage seem to be forgetting that a proper turbo setup can dramatically increase power while not affecting fuel economy at ALL compared to if you used the same motor without a turbo setup.

Really though it sounds like sour grapes to me... you'd all be ecstatic if the GS was coming out with this much power behind it.
But it's not. So you resort to false assumptions about fuel economy and 'enough power is enough' mentality.

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Guess BMW isn't worried about CAFE standards.

So whats the point of buying an M5 anymore?
100 more horsepower, lighter weight, and significantly improved/revised suspension, brakes, steering, rear end, etc. The M5 is not just a 5-series with 500hp.
Old 04-23-08, 10:50 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Free choice and free markets. If it doesn't sell enough, it won't be around and car makers will go for more efficiency if they believe there is money to be made there.

The car/engines introduced in the next two or three years were in development long before oil/gas skyrocketed and the economy slowed so the makers will introduce them, the R&D has been done. Nobody will be forced to buy a 555 against their will and bimmer does a nice job of offering a nice spread of engines in their models. Of course if the salesman tells you the 555 gets 35mpg, you might be able to go to the gov for a bailout.
Old 04-23-08, 10:59 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Threxx
You people complaining about fuel mileage seem to be forgetting that a proper turbo setup can dramatically increase power while not affecting fuel economy at ALL compared to if you used the same motor without a turbo setup.

Really though it sounds like sour grapes to me... you'd all be ecstatic if the GS was coming out with this much power behind it.
But it's not. So you resort to false assumptions about fuel economy and 'enough power is enough' mentality.

100 more horsepower, lighter weight, and significantly improved/revised suspension, brakes, steering, rear end, etc. The M5 is not just a 5-series with 500hp.
You people? Wrong, we have stated MANY times before, when will the HP war end and where are the fuel economy improvements. CAr makers themselves stated they were stopping the HP war (I remember Audi in particular) and WHAM here is a 572 hp tt V-10 wagon .

BMW said "we are about purity, turbos are for Mercedes" and WHAM, here they come with turbos left and right.

We have also stated the hp gain/fuel economy gain on the GS was not as expected. Good, not great at all.

Old 04-23-08, 11:10 AM
lalexusgs
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by whlkev
i really don't like FI'ed BMW
That's 'cause you don't drive one

Quick Reply: BMW 550 grows into 555I?