Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus IS-F or BMW M3

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-08, 01:22 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a chance to drive the IS-F and it's a phenominal car!! I've never driven a M3, but from what I've read about it, it's a better handling car. I test drove a regular 3 series when I was shopping for cars and was pretty impressed with the feel of the car and I'm sure the M3 is way better.

Bottom line, Lexus did a great job considering the IS-F was their first try at building a car like this, but at the end of the day, I'd probably go with the M3.
Old 04-24-08, 01:45 PM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have driven both cars an honestly, they are both Great.

For me the M3 coupe and Sedan beat the IS for one simple reason...Manual Transmission! If that does not matter to you, then I still prefer the speed of the M3, but price is an issue.

Even with the price difference, if I am paying that for a car, I want the M3.
Old 04-24-08, 05:09 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

M3, without a doubt.
Old 04-24-08, 07:14 PM
LexFather

Both are great, IS-F for me.

Old 04-24-08, 08:38 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I hate BMW, and I have to say, M3. IS-F's redline is much too low, and the 8 speed transmission is just a wackjob that's gonna drive you nuts. But better yet, get the C63.
Old 04-24-08, 08:44 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I hate BMW, and I have to say, M3.

Whoa has hell frozen over?

I'd pick the M3 too. If I were to be shopping for a car in this car segment (perforrmance sedan/coupe), this would be it simply because that's what i'm looking for...a driver's car
Old 04-24-08, 09:15 PM
SI ONE
Driver School Candidate

Default BMW = Yuppy

I think the total car experience is much better when your car says lexus on the door sills. Customer Service is what completely impresses me. As for the car itself, its like arguing with someone who likes charmin or scotts. We have an obsession with our favorite brand of car, so severe that an acknowledgement of another brands positives would go without saying!

I am proud to say I like my lexus, lucky enough to own one, and as for arguing, i don't have the time!
Old 04-24-08, 10:00 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSteg
Whoa has hell frozen over?

I'd pick the M3 too. If I were to be shopping for a car in this car segment (perforrmance sedan/coupe), this would be it simply because that's what i'm looking for...a driver's car
No, I still wouldn't buy a BMW because I hate them basically for being German, but if I was forced to choose between these two, I'd get the M3. I've got to drive LS460 quite extensivery, and its 8 speed is just too much. I never drove the IS-F, but it must be much worse with the engine being more powerful and gaining the RPMs much faster, the first two gears are probably exteremely annoying.

Now, if IS-F came with AMG style 5 speed, I'd chose it over the M3 in a heartbeat. Its a much superior car in every otherway, its just plagued by the 8 speed tranny.
Old 04-24-08, 10:04 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Actually the first two years are reasonable. It's the 3rd-5th gear that's
Old 04-24-08, 10:10 PM
LexFather

While I agree 8 speeds is overkill, it is the 2nd fastest shifting auto in the world and every review drools over the tranny and how smooth/fast it shifts.

I remember the day we HAD to buy a M3 b/c Lexus had no competitor. Well we have one now

The new M3 looks just as odd as the IS-F IMO from some angles and just as good from some. The IS interior is far superior, IMO. It seems if you drive 10/10ths, the M3 edges out the IS-F.

To me that is not a substantial reason to purchase the M3, since I rarely would drive at that level.

Old 04-24-08, 10:13 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

definitely a drive both situation ... it seems like there are a lot of people who have driven one or the other and are weighing in based on that and some inductive argument derived from an incomplete set of data (as it were)

drive both (in theory in the same place under the same conditions with the same tests) and make your decision from there

and AFTER you've driven both and made your decision .. TELL US WHAT YOU CHOSE AND WHY
Old 04-24-08, 10:20 PM
SilverBull
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have driven both and there is no problem picking this one. M3 all the way on this one. Th price isn't that much different. It is more like 6 or 7k more actually. The coolness factor of a M3 is waaay better than that of a IS-F. Ask yourself how many people will even know the difference between the IS350 and IS-F who aren't experts in the car world. Then ask who will know what a M3 is. Basically, driving a M3 is far more fun than the IS-F. Sorry fellas but the M3 is just more of a sports car. Lexus will treat you better overall but BMW makes great cars.
Old 04-24-08, 10:23 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by SilverBull
I have driven both and there is problem picking this one. M3 all way on this one. Th price isn't that much different. It is more like 6 or 7k more actually. The coolness factor of a M3 is waaay better than that of a IS-F. Ask yourself how many people will even know the difference between the IS350 and IS-F who aren't experts in the car world. Then ask who will know what a M3 is. Basically, driving a M3 is far more fun than the IS-F. Sorry fellas but the M3 is just more of a sports car. Lexus will treat you better overall but BMW makes great cars.
This could be said in 1984. This is Lexus first effort. BMW has evolved the M3 for decades now, it has gone from an I-4 to a V-8 for example.

Of course no one will no what an IS-F is, the car is new, the entire "F" brand is new and marketing has been minimal. The M3 is legendary in comparison!

From a sales perspective though, the IS-F will be much rarer. BMW expects to sell 100,000 M3s in this generation! Lexus might sell 20,000.

Old 04-24-08, 10:37 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSteg
Actually the first two years are reasonable. It's the 3rd-5th gear that's
You dont find that it just through the first two too fast and then has a dip in the third? Like I said, I haven't driven the IS-F, but thats what I found in the LS.
Old 04-24-08, 11:49 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what a lucky sister!!
There's a black ISF for sale at Tom Wood .

Quick Reply: Lexus IS-F or BMW M3