Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Which one?
Acura MDX
20.00%
Lexus LS 460
53.33%
Lexus RX 350/400h
10.00%
1SICKLEX in 2012!!!
16.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

People with all sedans

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-08, 11:22 AM
uplusd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default People with all sedans

Hi all,

So I have a question for people with all sedans in their house (or basically no utility vehicles). I want to replace my X5 and my plan was to either get a RX or MDX. However, the LS460 is starting to look really tempting. The other cars in the household are all sedans, so I'm wondering do you guys without a utility vehicle ever find yourself longing for something that can haul around a bit more than a sedan?

Input is appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 04-24-08, 11:30 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have room for another vehicle you could always buy something like a Chevy Silverado for 15 grand (yes the work package trucks can really be had for that little when on sale) and never worry about it... that'd give you the LS460 plus a whole lot more utility and practicality than any SUV would ever offer you.
Old 04-24-08, 11:43 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

we never had suv or minivan, there were only maybe 2-3 occasions where we needed it, mostly when we bought our house. so we borrowed our friend's car or just ask them to deliver to our home
Old 04-24-08, 12:06 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Most places will deliver anything today or you can rent a Pickup if you have to move stuff, comes out a lot cheaper and you don't have to freak out every time you go to Home Depot and put a slight scratch in your SUV
Old 04-24-08, 12:57 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

I've been driving a 2 seat coupe for a year and I have yet to need more space than that. Then again I don't have a family and I live in an apartment
Old 04-24-08, 01:06 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ask yourself how often do you really/need use the extra space?

I came from a Toyota Tacoma 4DR pickup and very rarely used the bed; I sold it and maybe once every 6 mos I'll try to borrow my brother in laws pickup on a saturday. I did it again last Saturday to pick up some flooring at home depot [which could have delivered it for $49 which is close to what I paid for gassing up his pickup truck anyway].

If you need a truck every weekend, get a beater pickup for $2000.
Old 04-24-08, 01:46 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

All sedans in my household, and with my parents.

If I need a utility vehicle, I call my brother (he has a Tahoe and an Explorer) or rent one.
Old 04-24-08, 02:22 PM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

I was like you once, as I went from an X5 to a GS 350 AWD. The key for me was the AWD, as I live in the North East and the snow can get pretty bad, but as far as room, never consider what I am missing.

I did haul stuff in my X5, but only about 3 times and once was when i moved from NY to DC. That was perfect as I packed everything in with the seats folded, but other than that, it was just a waste of gas.

I am a different case though as we still have my wife's 96 Jeep.
Old 04-24-08, 02:31 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

all sedans and coupes, I have 4runner and LX470 before, sold them since I don't feel like I need the extra space and they waste too much gas.
I can always borrow my friend's VAN or SUV or Truck if I ever need it.
Old 04-24-08, 05:05 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

I can't even imagine of ever needing to use a SUV for hauling stuff. The very occasional TV/appliances(etc.) purchases will never be enough to justify getting a SUV.
For large items like a big frige, even a big SUV is not enough anyway. I just pay for delivery or ask for help for smaller items, insignificant costs in the long run since these big items typically last very long & you only have to replace them very infrequently.
Old 04-24-08, 05:21 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I had to have my dad deliever my TV (30 inch Sony Wega CRT) cause there is no way it was fitting in my Legacy or my roomate's Legend.
Old 04-24-08, 05:36 PM
flipicanez
Lead Lap

I never felt the need or want to have an SUV. I have one child and plan on maybe a couple of more. Gas mileage, insurance rates, ease of driving, not wanting to look like a soccer mom, and just not feeling pressured to compensate for something like a weightlifter on steroids.

And I can just go over and pick up my pops Silverado (Extended bed, of course) and haul whatever I want if ever need be.
Old 04-24-08, 05:42 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I have had coupes and 4 doors and have been completely fine not having a SUV/pickup and I move around a bit and have to move alot of stuff from a storage facility to an apartment. When moving into my apartment for the larger stuff I used my friends old suburban the first time and then I just rented a van the next time for like 30 or 40 bucks which was easy. I could not imagine driving that van everyday. The smaller stuff I just loaded up in my cars and had no problems. The guy with the old surburban can't even drive anywhere aside a short distance to work because it is such a gas hog, costs him well over $100 a week to fill up and it barely lasts a week. I find little to no need in owning a gas guzzling SUV/pickup and there is no reason to own a vehicle like that if you just use it once or twice a year like to pick up/move an appliance or something large as most places deliver, you can burrow something, or rent a larger vehicle for not much money. Most people who have them do not need them and just like the image of SUVs and pickups. Most of my friends and people I know who have pickups and SUVs never haul anything and it is just them driving in the vehicle all the time doing normal errands that can be easily done in sedans/coupes. Most usaully complain about the gas mileage but will not consider a economical sedan as it does not fit the image they want in their vehicle.

If I had 3 or more kids and often traveled with them or drove on vacations then a SUV like an MDX that has more seating and room then a sedan would make sense and I could see getting one in that situation or if I was heavy into hunting/fishing/camping and often had to reach areas that were undriveable with sedans/coupes and needed a raised vehicle with 4wd then I would consider an SUV or if I had a boat and trailored it and moved it then an SUV would make sense. Other then that a sedan/coupe will satisfy all your driving needs and many sedans/coupes can be had in awd if you live in an area with alot of snow if you need it. The new MDX is probrably the only SUV out now that I would not mind having and would consider if for some reason I "needed" an SUV like that as it is such a great vehicle.

For SUVs the MDX, RDX, and RX get decent gas mileage and are not too overweight and large but I would still much rather drive and own a LS460 any day over those vehicles if I had the choice but then again an LS is much more expensive then either of those SUVs so if there is any gas savings driving a LS it will not matter considering the price difference.

I don't think your going to find yourself wanting or needing an SUV if you have all sedans and a new LS460 especially considering you owned a X5 which has little to no real "utility" over a 4 door sedan. The MDX is the only SUV of your choice that has seating for 7 if you need it and able to haul a decent amount.
Old 04-24-08, 05:52 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Zip Car is great.
Old 04-24-08, 08:48 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

When I have a need for an SUV, I just either use my work truck, but its a pain in the *** because in NYC commercial vehicles are not allowed on many roads, so I usually just borrow my parents SUV. In fact, I just came back from their house, I borrowed their Jeep to transport my new bike.

Quick Reply: People with all sedans