Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2008 Mercedes E63 AMG

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-08, 06:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
Thanks again for the great review. Hopefully you'll get the chance to test the new C63 soon. Can't wait until my dealer gets one in.
You're welcome.

The C63 has, essentially, a detuned version of the E63's engine. Its shorter wheelbase and lighter weight could be expected, all other things equal, to give a slightly firmer ride and better handling.....I don't know if the C63 has the E63's variable suspension height and comfort settings.
Old 04-25-08, 06:00 AM
RX400h
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How would you compare this car to the IS-F in terms of performance and comfortability?
Old 04-25-08, 06:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RX400h
How would you compare this car to the IS-F in terms of performance and comfortability?
The IS-F has a glossier paint job, slightly softer/smoother leather inside, slightly better gauges (though I liked the E63's speedometer), much less
complex controls/buttons, a slightly better-sounding stereo, quicker steering response, less body roll, better (Brembo-designed) brakes, and can be expected to be more reliable. But its torque is somewhat peaky (the power comes on all at once from 3500-4000 RPM), its rear reat a total joke for adults, its wide-open exhaust much noisier, and its ride unacceptably harsh (IMO) on rough roads, with up-and-down bouncing and porpoising.

The E63 is roomier inside (though still a little tight in back), has a much better all-around, adjustable suspension for daily driving, is more comfortable,
has A-1 crash-safety (it is a Mercedes, after all), has a larger trunk, and simply has a better chassis. It will probably outrun the IS-F on the drag strip. But it has quirky brakes, takes a college degree to learn all of its controls, can't match the IS-F for steering response and body roll, guzzles gas, and the spare tire and engine START/STOP buttons both need to be redone.

Both cars are quiet on the road, though the IS-F has audible impact harshness over bumps. Both have a moderately firm feel in the power steering. Both transmissions, with 8 and 7 speeds respectively, IMO, are overkill in the number of gears. Neither car is cheap, but it must be noted that there is a 30-40K difference in price between them. A more direct comparison might be the IS-F and C63.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-25-08 at 06:41 AM.
Old 04-25-08, 06:24 AM
kt22cliff
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I disagree that M3 is redone 335 with "minor" differences. There are major differences. Now whether you "want" these extras - LSD, dual clutch gearbox, EDC etc OR whether that difference is worth extra $15k the person who's looking to buy is another matter. I do agree though for non-track purposes - 335 will do just fine

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks, Liz.

The "black" effect of the roof is actually the Panorama glass and its cover.

Having bought and owned an IS300, I know some of the local Lexus people, but I didn't have any prior experience at the M-B shop I was at, so I had to look presentable. It was no offense to any of the Lexus people.

I may or may not do a full review on the M3.....maybe just a condensed one.
I recently did the 335i, and the M3 is essentially a redone 335 with a firmer suspension, a larger engine, slightly different interior trim, slightly different wheels/tires, some body trim parts, and other minor differences. I'll take a good look at the M3 when unsold ones are available (good luck!). If I feel I is different enough from the 335i, I'll do a full review.
Old 04-25-08, 06:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kt22cliff
I disagree that M3 is redone 335 with "minor" differences. There are major differences. Now whether you "want" these extras - LSD, dual clutch gearbox, EDC etc OR whether that difference is worth extra $15k the person who's looking to buy is another matter. I do agree though for non-track purposes - 335 will do just fine
I was very impressed with the 335i, though it is still a little expensive for my tastes. And, like I said earlier, I'll check the M3 out in person when I go to look at it. I know from write-ups in the auto press that there are differences....it's just a question of what you consider major and minor. The new M3 appears, at first glance, to be more apart from its lesser-powered 3-series brothers than before.

I don't drive cars on the track in my reviews....that is not my purpose. My reviews are done to give an overall assessment of the car, what you can expect in day-to-day use, how it drives in normal use and when pushed moderately hard, and what you get for your money. I agree with you that the M3 may do better on the track......but for those results, publications like Road and Track, Car and Driver, etc..... are much better sources than my street-oriented reviews.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-25-08 at 06:42 AM.
Old 04-25-08, 07:43 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 04-25-08, 08:52 AM
MrBruin09
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great write up!!!

Just wanted to let you know that they do offer Burlwood and lighter interior..here is one on ebay

http://ebay.carad.com/viewItem/viewA...29&template=48

I personally love the dark maple wood and black interior but people can choose either interior..and I believe Mercedes as always done their engine start button on top of their shifter..so they will probably never change it!
Old 04-25-08, 09:35 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting review. Though I think the E-class is near the end of its life for this generation...
Old 04-25-08, 09:47 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Thanks for another nicely written review marshall E55/E63 always one of my favorite sedans.
Old 04-25-08, 09:51 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,486 Likes on 1,633 Posts

I think this gen E class is probably the best one ever (so far).

For a now 'old' design it has aged incredibly well and the exterior and interior DETAILS are what keep it interesting and perceived as well crafted, like an expensive watch. Lexus "L-Finesse" just seems so minimalist and 'plain' in comparison.

Great review as always Mike. That is one heck of a car for the uber-wealthy!
Old 04-25-08, 10:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Threxx
Interesting review. Though I think the E-class is near the end of its life for this generation...
Thanks for another nicely written review marshall E55/E63 always one of my favorite sedans.
Today 04:35 PM
I think this gen E class is probably the best one ever (so far).

For a now 'old' design it has aged incredibly well and the exterior and interior DETAILS are what keep it interesting and perceived as well crafted, like an expensive watch. Lexus "L-Finesse" just seems so minimalist and 'plain' in comparison.

Great review as always Mike. That is one heck of a car for the uber-wealthy!
Thanks, guys. I like the looks and feel of this design, too. I hope they don't give the next E-Class bullet-shaped styling, cheapen the interior, thin out the doors, and stiffen up the tires/chassis like SO many other companies are doing. I get so tired of seeing that, car after car.
Old 04-25-08, 10:08 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

It's worth nothing that pretty much all of the AMG Benzes drop to a resale value roughly HALF of their original sticker price when they're only 2-3 years old, and they tend to be driven by people that have multiple vehicles meaning at 2-3 years old they still only have in the range of 10 to 20k miles on them.

Half price with 15k miles on it is a steal... you'd have to be insanely wealthy to ignore that bargain and still buy one new.
Old 04-25-08, 10:15 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by adam8065
Great write up!!!

Just wanted to let you know that they do offer Burlwood and lighter interior..here is one on ebay

http://ebay.carad.com/viewItem/viewA...29&template=48

I personally love the dark maple wood and black interior but people can choose either interior..and I believe Mercedes as always done their engine start button on top of their shifter..so they will probably never change it!
Thanks.

I saw some of those pictures on Google. Those may have been special-order AMG's. It is unclear, from the Mercedes literature, whether that trim is normally available or not.

Mercedes custom or not, I think the transmission shifter is a lousy place for the engine START/STOP button....for reasons which I explained in the review. And I will still feel the same way tomorrow.

Repetition in an auto design does not necessarily mean competence or the best way of doing it. BMW and Audi, for example, have persisted with awkward, hard-to-use dash- controller ***** for some years now, but the concept, IMO, is just as bad today as it was the day the first one of them came out. VW, until recently, persisted many years with radios that were not connected to the ignition switch....you had to remember to turn them off or drain the battery, and, of course, many owners did, year after year. Many GM products persisted with poor-quality brake rotors that constantly warped, year after year. I could go on and on.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-25-08 at 10:18 AM.
Old 04-25-08, 10:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Threxx
It's worth nothing that pretty much all of the AMG Benzes drop to a resale value roughly HALF of their original sticker price when they're only 2-3 years old, and they tend to be driven by people that have multiple vehicles meaning at 2-3 years old they still only have in the range of 10 to 20k miles on them.

Half price with 15k miles on it is a steal... you'd have to be insanely wealthy to ignore that bargain and still buy one new.
I agree with your basic economic premise, but that, of course, is dependent on finding one that wasn't ragged out by its first owner KNOWING that he or she was only going to have the car one or two years. Some of the riskiest used-car buys on the market, short of repos and auctions, are high-performance cars that have had a hard life with aggressive drivers and inadequate care.
Old 04-25-08, 10:26 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by adam8065
I love the black birdseye wood as well. I wish Lexus offered a black leather / black wood option for the GS.

Originally Posted by AsianGirl007
I'm not crazy about the black roof - I think it ruins the fluid overall color look of cars.
The panoramic roof was one feature I really wanted. I think the contrast looks great, especially on silver / white cars.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks, guys. I like the looks and feel of this design, too. I hope they don't give the next E-Class bullet-shaped styling, cheapen the interior, thin out the doors, and stiffen up the tires/chassis like SO many other companies are doing. I get so tired of seeing that, car after car.
I'm looking forward to the W212 E-Class. MB did a great job with the C-Class redesign...the W204 looks great. Hopefully MB can do the same with the next gen E.

Last edited by INHOCJP; 04-25-08 at 10:35 AM.

Quick Reply: Review: 2008 Mercedes E63 AMG