Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2008 Mercedes E63 AMG

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-08, 10:53 AM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks.

I saw some of those pictures on Google. Those may have been special-order AMG's. It is unclear, from the Mercedes literature, whether that trim is normally available or not.

Mercedes custom or not, I think the transmission shifter is a lousy place for the engine START/STOP button....for reasons which I explained in the review. And I will still feel the same way tomorrow.

Repetition in an auto design does not necessarily mean competence or the best way of doing it. BMW and Audi, for example, have persisted with awkward, hard-to-use dash- controller ***** for some years now, but the concept, IMO, is just as bad today as it was the day the first one of them came out. VW, until recently, persisted many years with radios that were not connected to the ignition switch....you had to remember to turn them off or drain the battery, and, of course, many owners did, year after year. Many GM products persisted with poor-quality brake rotors that constantly warped, year after year. I could go on and on.
MM the burl wood has been an option on the E55's and E63's for as long as I can remember but it is fairly unusual to find this on these cars. Also, unless they changed for 2008 the brakes are in fact Brembo's with an AMG decal on them.
Old 04-25-08, 11:05 AM
cjf_moraga
Rookie

I agree with your basic economic premise, but that, of course, is dependent on finding one that wasn't ragged out by its first owner KNOWING that he or she was only going to have the car one or two years. Some of the riskiest used-car buys on the market, short of repos and auctions, are high-performance cars that have had a hard life with aggressive drivers and inadequate care.
For just my piece of mind I could never buy a high performance engine like this without knowing minutely how it had been previously driven and cared for. They are very expensive to repair and not something to own outside warranty. Also MB only allows the original owner to extend the factory warranty on these cars to up to 7 years/100,000 miles. There are third party warranties, but again for piece of mind the full MB warranty is much preferable and less hassle...

Chris
Old 04-25-08, 12:29 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cjf_moraga
For just my piece of mind I could never buy a high performance engine like this without knowing minutely how it had been previously driven and cared for. They are very expensive to repair and not something to own outside warranty. Also MB only allows the original owner to extend the factory warranty on these cars to up to 7 years/100,000 miles. There are third party warranties, but again for piece of mind the full MB warranty is much preferable and less hassle...

Chris
I hear you. But I'll admit, a low mileage '05 - '06 E55 for around $50k is very tempting.
Old 04-25-08, 12:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by lkirchner
MM the burl wood has been an option on the E55's and E63's for as long as I can remember but it is fairly unusual to find this on these cars. Also, unless they changed for 2008 the brakes are in fact Brembo's with an AMG decal on them.
The people at Mercedes service told me they weren't Brembos. It doesn't really matter, IMO, whether they are or not....I still found them quirky.

And the Burl-Wood option was clear, in the brochure, for E55s, but there was no mention of it for E63's. I will take your word for it, though, since you have actually seen some. .......I don't claim to be the last word on anything unless I know it for a fact.
Old 04-25-08, 01:05 PM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

Thanks it is a great review....
Old 04-25-08, 01:31 PM
dr Lu
Driver

mmarshall..have you reviewed/driven the newer M5? how does it compare to the merc E series AMG..
Old 04-25-08, 01:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dr Lu
mmarshall..have you reviewed/driven the newer M5? how does it compare to the merc E series AMG..
No, I haven't. M's are hard to get a hold of. Most are pre-sold, and I won't drive a car that is already spoken for, for a number of reasons.
Old 04-25-08, 01:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kyang91
Thanks it is a great review....
You're welcome, kyang.

While my reviews aren't always 100% accurate (I miss a few things here and there) I put a great deal of time and care into them.....more than anything else I do on CL.
Old 04-25-08, 02:52 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dr Lu
I considered the M5 before deciding on the E63. The M5 is a stellar car and has a very different personality than the E63.

Here are a few comparison tests involving the two cars:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...omparison_test

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...ans/index.html

http://cars.uk.msn.com/Reviews/artic...mentid=4567563
Old 04-25-08, 04:36 PM
MrBruin09
Lexus Test Driver

The people at Mercedes service told me they weren't Brembos. It doesn't really matter, IMO, whether they are or not....I still found them quirky.

And the Burl-Wood option was clear, in the brochure, for E55s, but there was no mention of it for E63's. I will take your word for it, though, since you have actually seen some. .......I don't claim to be the last word on anything unless I know it for a fact.
ask and you shall receive..light interior with burlwood

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008-...QQcmdZViewItem

The e63 is my favorite Merc..but I don't know what I've been hearing about the c63 is incredible!!!! I also heard it's a detuned engine and it should be really easy to ecu that bad boy up to 517 ponies

Last edited by MrBruin09; 04-25-08 at 04:43 PM.
Old 04-25-08, 04:38 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by adam8065
ask and you shall receive..light interior with burlwood

http://ebay.carad.com/viewItem/viewA...29&template=48
Link no worky
Old 04-25-08, 04:42 PM
MrBruin09
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Link no worky

it works one second and doesn't work another second!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008-...QQcmdZViewItem

hopefully this works now.
Old 04-25-08, 04:59 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Thanks, Liz.

The "black" effect of the roof is actually the Panorama glass and its cover.
hahaha..yes I know. While I like the idea of BAM (big *** moonroof), I just don't like the looks of it. I don't like it on the ES either. It's just "too much" dark contrast for my taste.

Having bought and owned an IS300, I know some of the local Lexus people, but I didn't have any prior experience at the M-B shop I was at, so I had to look presentable. It was no offense to any of the Lexus people.
I know you didn't mean any offense, the difference between shopping for a Lexus vs. Mercedes just struck me as funny.
Old 04-25-08, 05:15 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Great review!! Surprised that the brakes aren't Brembos.

If MB follows the rest of their new lineup, the Keyless Go start/stop button should be a (removable) button over the ignition hole.
Old 04-25-08, 05:31 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Thanks.

Mercedes custom or not, I think the transmission shifter is a lousy place for the engine START/STOP button....for reasons which I explained in the review. And I will still feel the same way tomorrow.

The switch on the shifter can't be activated once it's out of park so there is no danger of shutting down while driving. Although my car doesn't have keyless go so I won't be able to find out but I wouldn't try it anyways even if I had that option.

Quick Reply: Review: 2008 Mercedes E63 AMG