Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2008 Mercedes E63 AMG

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-08, 05:36 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
It's worth nothing that pretty much all of the AMG Benzes drop to a resale value roughly HALF of their original sticker price when they're only 2-3 years old, and they tend to be driven by people that have multiple vehicles meaning at 2-3 years old they still only have in the range of 10 to 20k miles on them.

Half price with 15k miles on it is a steal... you'd have to be insanely wealthy to ignore that bargain and still buy one new.
That figure is more like 4-5 years when the warranty runs out, then you can expect the cars value at 50% for an E class the V12 value drops even more at that point. At 2-3 years you can still expect a big discount of 20-30% for a clean well maintaned one.
Old 04-25-08, 06:59 PM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by adam8065
ask and you shall receive..light interior with burlwood

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008-...QQcmdZViewItem

The e63 is my favorite Merc..but I don't know what I've been hearing about the c63 is incredible!!!! I also heard it's a detuned engine and it should be really easy to ecu that bad boy up to 517 ponies
Mercedes has always had the spin on the horsepower ratings on their motors. Why would they want an E Class as an example to have the same horsepowr as an SL. I preently have 3 of the 55's, an E, a CL and a S. All 3 have been dyno'ed and the HP at the wheels and the crank are almost identical.

I am sure that the C63 is the identical motor as the E and SL.
Old 04-25-08, 07:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by RX_330
Great review!! Surprised that the brakes aren't Brembos.

If MB follows the rest of their new lineup, the Keyless Go start/stop button should be a (removable) button over the ignition hole.
I agree on the button.

The Mercedes people told me the brakes weren't Brembos, but one poster disagreed. Once again, the Mercedes literature is unclear.
Old 04-25-08, 07:03 PM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The people at Mercedes service told me they weren't Brembos. It doesn't really matter, IMO, whether they are or not....I still found them quirky.

And the Burl-Wood option was clear, in the brochure, for E55s, but there was no mention of it for E63's. I will take your word for it, though, since you have actually seen some. .......I don't claim to be the last word on anything unless I know it for a fact.
By the way I did forget to mention, your review was wonderful as usual. Thanks for your time and effort in doing these for the public that does not have the time and expertise to perform these types of reviews. You are truly a Car Nut and we welcome you with open arms.
Old 04-25-08, 07:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lkirchner
Mercedes has always had the spin on the horsepower ratings on their motors. Why would they want an E Class as an example to have the same horsepowr as an SL. I preently have 3 of the 55's, an E, a CL and a S. All 3 have been dyno'ed and the HP at the wheels and the crank are almost identical.

Torque, most of the time, is actually more of a factor in acceleration than HP. HP is more an indicator of overcoming air resistance at the car's top end.

Mercedes is not the only manufacturer to produce varying power ratings on the same engine block. Many companies use the system when they put the same block in several different vehicles and trim lines. For instance, Chevy used to use the 5.7L in both the Camaro and Corvette.....but saved the higher power ratings for the 'Vette. Ford did the same thing with the 5.0 and 4.6 engines in the Mustang and Crown Vic. There are many other examples.
Old 04-25-08, 07:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

By the way I did forget to mention, your review was wonderful as usual. Thanks for your time and effort in doing these for the public that does not have the time and expertise to perform these types of reviews. You are truly a Car Nut and we welcome you with open arms.

You're quite welcome.

Most of the reviews, I do by request of either CL members or non-CL requests that I get, and then share them with CL. I state at the top of the page if it was a CL request or not (usually it is). Occasionally, I'll do one for my own curiosity. I also drive some vehicles when it's time for me to go shopping for a new car myself......usually every 4-5 years (I may get one late this year or next year). Many of those test-drives, of course, are just for my own reference, and I don't bother to write them up.

Mike (1SICKLEX) also does reviews. Check some of his out if you want a little variety.....they are in a different format than mine.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-25-08 at 07:19 PM.
Old 04-26-08, 01:36 AM
MrBruin09
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

that is correct..all the 6.2 liter amg engines are the same
Old 04-26-08, 06:54 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,434 Likes on 1,596 Posts

Mike (1SICKLEX) also does reviews. Check some of his out if you want a little variety.....they are in a different format than mine.
Er, yeah, his have stories of hot dates and other adventures in them.
Old 01-13-09, 09:41 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Poorly located engine START/STOP button.

But there were a few bad features inside as well. The most glaring was the engine START/STOP button on top of the transmission shifter. This was not only where you DON'T expect to find it, but could even be hazardous for those not used to its location. For example, buttons on an automatic transmission shift lever usually control the overdrive-lockout feature or unlock the shift lever itself so that, with your foot on the brake, you can get it out of PARK/REVERSE into NEUTRAL or DRIVE.....or put it back into PARK. Not on this car. Hitting the button instinctively when you are ready to shift will reward you with a stalled engine.
I know I'm a little late but I tried it out today.

I found out that if you are in reverse or drive, pressing the start/stop button on the shifter will not stop the engine. A red screen comes up on the display and says you can only stop the engine when it is in park. So accidentally stopping the car when pressing the start/stop button when it is not in park will not stop the engine.
Old 01-13-09, 10:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LB Lex
I know I'm a little late but I tried it out today.

I found out that if you are in reverse or drive, pressing the start/stop button on the shifter will not stop the engine. A red screen comes up on the display and says you can only stop the engine when it is in park. So accidentally stopping the car when pressing the start/stop button when it is not in park will not stop the engine.
Thanks.....but still a poor location, IMHO, for a switch of that sort.
Old 01-14-09, 09:15 AM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Thanks.....but still a poor location, IMHO, for a switch of that sort.
It's actually pretty convenient: press the button and pull the lever to reverse or drive in one motion. The same is true for parking: push the lever to park and press button.

Makes it easy for quick getaways
Old 01-14-09, 11:51 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LB Lex
It's actually pretty convenient: press the button and pull the lever to reverse or drive in one motion. The same is true for parking: push the lever to park and press button.
Got to agree. Love the keyless go
Old 01-14-09, 06:03 PM
Anthony
Lexus Champion

Keyless go is the best wish i had it..
white e63 with the pano roof is hott!
Old 01-14-09, 07:40 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by G2low