Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2009 Acura TL thread (merged threads, painted beak)

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-08, 09:34 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Koma
It's strange that everyone thinks we need a 6 speed auto but in all honesty 5 is probably fine. It's becoming the new HP war. I can see where you're coming from as a marketing standpoint that it should try to compete with the rest but 5/6 speeds are perfectly fine.
I see what you're saying, but it really wouldn't hurt. Especially when we're talking about Honda which used to be a world class powertrain company. Another cog in the tranny would help acceleration and gas mileage, even if by tenths of a second or mile...but that stuff adds up. My GS 300 is only 5 gears and there are times where I really wish it had another one or two, just to play with. Infiniti and Mercedes offer 7 speeds, Lexus offers an 8 speed, and everyone else (EVEN HYUNDAI!) offers a 6 speed...and yet here in 2009 on their bread and butter model, the best thing we've got is a 5 speed automatic?

And I think I would really like the design of this car if it was smoothed out. There are simply too many hard edges and creases on it to have any sort of cohesive flow.
Old 08-08-08, 09:49 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

My 3 minute edit for simplifying the front: (Moved and slimmed down the grille and changed the lower front fascia)
Attached Thumbnails 2009 Acura TL thread (merged threads, painted beak)-tl.jpg  
Old 08-08-08, 10:01 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

When you really look at it, the number of creases and hard edges on this car is astonishing. The only other way to achieve something like this would have been to blindfold the Taliban and let them chop at a hunk of metal with their machetes.

Creases over/on:
- both wheel wells
- Beltline (Horizontally)
- lower part of both doors (Horizontally)
- middle part of the rear bumper (horizontally)
- middle, middle part of rear bumper (Vertically)
- middle lower part of the rear bumper (Vertically around license plate)
- exhaust tips (Horizontally)
- center of trunk lid (Vertically)
- sides of trunklid aft of the C pillar
- descending edge of trunklid
- Spoiler

...and this is only the rear 3/4!
Attached Thumbnails 2009 Acura TL thread (merged threads, painted beak)-tl.jpg  
Old 08-08-08, 10:46 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

These latest pics just confirm what I've felt all along..................... I'm just ............not feeling it.
Old 08-08-08, 11:20 PM
BLK98GS3
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What were they thinking?
Old 08-09-08, 01:04 AM
Koma

Originally Posted by dunnojack
6 speed gets better mileage.
when the ES moved from 5 to 6 speed, mileage went up. not by much though.

if we don't need a 6 speed, or 5 speed.... how bout we all go back to 4 speed V6?
Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I see what you're saying, but it really wouldn't hurt. Especially when we're talking about Honda which used to be a world class powertrain company. Another cog in the tranny would help acceleration and gas mileage, even if by tenths of a second or mile...but that stuff adds up. My GS 300 is only 5 gears and there are times where I really wish it had another one or two, just to play with. Infiniti and Mercedes offer 7 speeds, Lexus offers an 8 speed, and everyone else (EVEN HYUNDAI!) offers a 6 speed...and yet here in 2009 on their bread and butter model, the best thing we've got is a 5 speed automatic?

And I think I would really like the design of this car if it was smoothed out. There are simply too many hard edges and creases on it to have any sort of cohesive flow.
Don't get me wrong having more gears usually means better fuel efficiency but going 7-8 doesn't seem to pull much more from your gas. I do believe that they should really step up and try to compete but they don't need something like a 20 speed auto. The only real problem I have with them not doing a 6 speed is that it doesn't show they're trying to innovate. It makes them seem like they're cheapening out because they don't want to spend the money to develop something better. My only argument is that there's a certain extent where gears aren't doing anything more than just saying "my ego is bigger than yours."
Old 08-09-08, 05:41 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
When you really look at it, the number of creases and hard edges on this car is astonishing. The only other way to achieve something like this would have been to blindfold the Taliban and let them chop at a hunk of metal with their machetes.

Creases over/on:
- both wheel wells
- Beltline (Horizontally)
- lower part of both doors (Horizontally)
- middle part of the rear bumper (horizontally)
- middle, middle part of rear bumper (Vertically)
- middle lower part of the rear bumper (Vertically around license plate)
- exhaust tips (Horizontally)
- center of trunk lid (Vertically)
- sides of trunklid aft of the C pillar
- descending edge of trunklid
- Spoiler

...and this is only the rear 3/4!

that's what happens when you have too many designers on board, and 3/4 of the designers take cadillac's angular designs overboard.
Old 08-09-08, 06:01 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

2009 Acura TL Specs

Information about the 2009 Acura TL leaked out today, revealing full details of the fourth-generation sedan from Honda's premium division. Two different models of the TL will be available: a front-wheel-drive TL with a 280-horsepower 3.5-liter V6 and the all-wheel-drive TL SH-AWD with a 305-hp 3.7-liter V6.

The 2009 Acura TL moves further upmarket with a more aggressive interpretation of Acura's latest styling vocabulary, known as "Keen Edge Dynamic." The size of the car has increased slightly as a consequence, and the wheelbase has been stretched 1.4 inches to 109.3 inches. The car is also 6.2 inches longer overall, 1.8 inches wider and 0.5 inch taller. Rear legroom improves by 1.3 inches and rear shoulder room increases by 0.5 inch. The all-new package also improves structural rigidity significantly, thanks in part to the use of high-strength steel in 47.6 percent of the chassis.

The standard TL will be front-wheel drive and is powered by a 3.5-liter V6 that makes 280 hp and 254 pound-feet of torque, an increase of 22 hp and 21 lb-ft over the previous 3.2-liter V6. The new TL SH-AWD ("Super-Handling All-Wheel Drive") replaces the previous TL Type-S and is powered by a 3.7-liter V6 that produces 305 hp and 275 lbs-ft, an increase of 19 hp and 19 lb-ft over the 3.5-liter V6 of the Type-S. A five-speed automatic transmission is standard equipment for both engines and features shift paddles on the steering wheel.

The chassis features double-wishbone front suspension and multilink rear suspension. Electric power steering is standard for both models. The TL rides on 245/50R17 tires, the TL SH-AWD has 245/45R18 tires and 245/40ZR19 summer performance tires are optional for the TL SH-AWD.

As before, the 2009 Acura TL continues to provide an extensive list of electronic convenience items, now including a central multifunction display, an eight-speaker audio system with a six-disc CD changer, XM Satellite Radio and USB port connectivity. An Acura/ELS audio system with 10 speakers, surround-sound and DVD-A compatibility is available.

What this means to you: The 2009 Acura TL looks more aggressive and backs it up with more power and all-wheel drive, but we'll see if more personality can counter Acura's slow sales decline in recent years.
Old 08-09-08, 06:13 AM
LexFather

That might be the ugliest car to debut the last 10 years or so. That busy IronMan interior doesn't help either.

The car got huge, 6 inches longer than last? That makes it 195 inches long, as long as a LS 430!

lol, the 3.7 is 1hp shy of the IS 3.5 and 25 or so shy of the G37. 5 speed auto from the 1960s.
I got the below quote from another forum.
Originally Posted by JrodVW
isn't conservative good looks luxury. This is stay up all night doing coke
This isn't traditional luxury. This isn't country club luxury. This in a basement club luxury. This is double bagger luxury. This is lease it, love it, leave it, forget it, because you don't ****in' need it luxury.

The new TL.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Old 08-09-08, 06:17 AM
LexFather

Don't get me wrong having more gears usually means better fuel efficiency but going 7-8 doesn't seem to pull much more from your gas. I do believe that they should really step up and try to compete but they don't need something like a 20 speed auto. The only real problem I have with them not doing a 6 speed is that it doesn't show they're trying to innovate. It makes them seem like they're cheapening out because they don't want to spend the money to develop something better. My only argument is that there's a certain extent where gears aren't doing anything more than just saying "my ego is bigger than yours."
Thats b/c Acura is not really luxury at all. THey continue to give what THEY think people want and limiting people. Luxury is about excess and overabundance and not needing a lot of things.

Acura rather focus on outsourcing and have top NAV and a nice Soundsystem and give their cars old engine and old transmissions.

Lexus gives you top Nav, a nice Soundsystem AND new engines and new transmissions.

Acura is clearly only for the Honda faithful b/t outside of having the ugliest lineup around, they really don't offer anything over any of the luxury competition and now, not even the non luxury competition.

Total joke

Old 08-09-08, 07:14 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
Acura is clearly only for the Honda faithful b/t outside of having the ugliest lineup around, they really don't offer anything over any of the luxury competition and now, not even the non luxury competition.

Total joke
they still sell cars. and that's what matters in the end.

the new TL will still sell 5-7k per month, because america likes ugly cars.
Old 08-09-08, 08:10 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Well, I would have thought the same thing but also consider that you've got the 8speed LS 460 which weighs over 4,000lbs, packs 380 hp, and returns about 25mpg in normal driving and can do over 30 on the highway.

That would only be capable with a transmission of that caliber. On paper 8 gears sounds like overkill, but they've produced a car that gets class leading gas mileage on nearly class leading power. Also, this day in age, every little bit helps.
Old 08-09-08, 08:12 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Wow. The Corolla has a more elegant interior than the TL.

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2009-acura-tl/967228/

And the way the consoles fades into the dash...It looks like they got their inspiration from a bowling alley. I mean Honda/Acura has the most bulbous and stupid-looking shifters/gates in the industry today. Straight out of the Civic. Zero effort. Over the years the TL has gone from being a very nice Accord to a monster-ized Civic. Fail, fail, fail.

Last edited by SecPole14; 08-09-08 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Did not adequately express the extent of the new TL's failure in my initial post.
Old 08-09-08, 08:41 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by dunnojack
they still sell cars. and that's what matters in the end.

the new TL will still sell 5-7k per month, because america likes ugly cars.
I am going to predict 3-5k a month. Ugly, mixed with fantastic competition (the new G37 sedan for instance)mixed with a floundering brand, plus a higher MSRP= less sales.

You see the last TL offered the size of the GS with the price of the IS 250 with a great style inside and out.

People on the internet really underestimate how much people want to own and buy and be seen in just "a good looking car". THe TL was a VERY good looking car. Again, you could buy it JUST based on that merit.

This new one is being blasted on every internet forum known to man. Goat weekly printed "it looks like a robot goat from the future".

Acura is so clueless, the Accord and now TL are bigger than the flagship RL. That just confuses the public.

Old 08-09-08, 09:18 AM
GS3Tek
Forum Moderator

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

I'm one of the few who loves buttons and more buttons

The bad thing is the honda accord's interior that sicklex posted is 99% identical to the TL, but the TL is so hideous on the outside and cost more. Doesn't make any sense for me to buy a TL then

Quick Reply: 2009 Acura TL thread (merged threads, painted beak)