Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2009 Acura TL thread (merged threads, painted beak)

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-08, 09:23 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by meowCat
LOL.

This is my prediction as far as performance goes...

'09 Acura TL 5AT w/ 280 hp & 254 ft/lb torque - I'm guessing 3875~ 3900 lbs. This will be a slow car. And with 5spd Auto... It will be a 7 sec car, meaning it will be as slow as the 3rd gen TL 5AT or slower.

'09 Acura TL SH-AWD w/ 305hp & 275 ft/lb torque - I'm guessing this will be a whopping 4150 lbs. And with 5spd Auto... It will be a 7.5 sec car and 17 sec quarter mile... It will be even slower than the previous, RL.

a 3500 lb V6 camry can already hit low 6s in 0-60. TL aint goign to be a 7 second car. A 306 hp 3600lb IS350 is a low 5 second car
Old 08-09-08, 09:50 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And the current TL weighs 3600 lbs.
Old 08-09-08, 10:18 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
That might be the ugliest car to debut the last 10 years or so. That busy IronMan interior doesn't help either.

This makes the new Maxima immediately more elegant and classy.
And the TL had been one of my favorite cars in this class.
Old 08-09-08, 11:27 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
I'm one of the few who loves buttons and more buttons

The bad thing is the honda accord's interior that sicklex posted is 99% identical to the TL, but the TL is so hideous on the outside and cost more. Doesn't make any sense for me to buy a TL then
Exactly and that has been Hondas/ACuras issue for sometime now. Acura themselves revealed the car more cross-shopped with the TL is the Accord.

The new Accord is just as big, offers pretty much everything but SH-AWD, both are built in America, both look like giant robot turds, yet the Accord actually looks better.

Old 08-09-08, 11:29 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by speedflex
This makes the new Maxima immediately more elegant and classy.
And the TL had been one of my favorite cars in this class.
I'd get the new Maxima and G37 over this without thinking twice. I agree the previous TL was also a favorite with me and this forum.

Old 08-09-08, 01:17 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i wouldn't get the maxima or the TL.

carmakers make it so difficult to shop for 25000-$30000 cars.

why do they have to make the sheet metal so ugly?

they can easily make a better looking car for the same price. all they need to do is stamp out some better looking metal.
Old 08-09-08, 02:11 PM
LexFather

From the chief clueless engineer in the video...

"we asked our customers and they said they didn't want more acceleration therefore we didn't need a V8
"

So don't expect a faster TL except in Honda sucking Car and Driver....

Old 08-09-08, 08:05 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,513 Likes on 1,652 Posts

That design is busier than termites in a log cabin.

Reminds me some of the new Maxima.

The best part is the available SH-AWD.

Car got BIG though, it's probably as big or bigger than the RL!

Verdict: no longer a classic, but maybe we're missing the point. The TL was always a "value proposition" - near luxury, lots of toys. Maybe that's still the formula, only more.

This pic actually doesn't look so bad to me.

Old 08-09-08, 08:20 PM
TLe2006
Lexus Champion

anyone notice it's push button with the key being inserted?
Old 08-09-08, 08:20 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Yes, but isnt the ES a value option? Many Lexus buyers opt for the GS than do Acura buyers for the RL. Thus I feel that the TL was more of a staple.
Old 08-10-08, 12:06 AM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

I'm surprised to find that this thread is still alive. Folks really hate this car. I didn't want to go searching for it just now, but the picture that 1Sick posted of the people fleeing like Sept 11 from the Acura dealership (and this car) made me laugh. But I wonder if that's going to be folks' ultimate reaction.

The popularity of the last gen Maxima tells me that people put up with a LOT of bad design (exterior and interior) if the wheels are big, the engine strong, and the salesmen shameless.

Truth is, I'm sad for Acura. The current direction is totally wrong-headed. And it's clear that they need a radical design shake-up. The shop responsible should be redirected and the group management replaced. They should offer SH-AWD on ALL existing models and offer FWD as they have in order to maintain entry-premium price leadership. Acura CANNOT catch Lexus, MB, BMW, Audi, Infiniti, Audi in the prestige-luxury game. They're too far behind. They are now competing against Hyundai and Suzuki - like it or not. And they are in a good position - if they take inventory of their history and current strengths - to win the value battle in premium cars.

M.
Old 08-10-08, 07:54 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by ThoLe
anyone notice it's push button with the key being inserted?
Yet their tagline is "Advance"

Hell an Altima has pushbutton start and you DON'T have to insert the key. How completely ghey is it to insert a key then push start. Sounds to me like Acura got a group discount of pushbutton starts from Pep Boys and stuck them in the new car.

I head with Infiniti keyless entry, you have to push a button on the door handle to get in too.

With Lexus you just walk up to the car and open the door and push the start button.

Old 08-10-08, 08:10 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,513 Likes on 1,652 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
I head with Infiniti keyless entry, you have to push a button on the door handle to get in too.

With Lexus you just walk up to the car and open the door and push the start button.
On my Mazda that's how it works too (the Infiniti way)... not sure if there's a reason.

On the Lexus though, how close does one have to be for it to unlock? Seems this could be a problem if you just walk by the car and it unlocks. Or does it lock itself automatically after a bit if you don't open the door? Also, does it unlock all doors or just 1? With the tiny button on my MX-5 door handle, I press once for just the driver's door, or twice for both.

I'd probably like the Lexus way too I'm sure!
Old 08-10-08, 10:28 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

You can choose whether just the driver door unlocks, or all the doors unlock, but it's a setting on the car, can't do it from outside.

The thing I liked about the Infiniti way was that you could unlock the driver door with one push on the button outside, or all doors with a 2nd push.

If you have the Lexus set to just the driver door to unlock, you'd need to open the door and push the door unlock button to get the other doors to unlock.
Old 08-10-08, 10:54 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
If you have the Lexus set to just the driver door to unlock, you'd need to open the door and push the door unlock button to get the other doors to unlock.
or you can just get used to it and grab the rear passenger handle to make all doors unlock.

Quick Reply: 2009 Acura TL thread (merged threads, painted beak)