Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2009 Acura TL thread (merged threads, painted beak)

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-08, 10:35 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i like the new TL. good that honda like nissan is willing to take some risks with styling and technology instead of a nameless manufacturer which kills models every 4 years or so and makes most of their passenger cars look like different sizes of the same car.
Old 08-20-08, 06:57 AM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Received 812 Likes on 566 Posts

So what I'm getting from the reviews is: Drives well, good tech, polarizing styling.
Old 08-20-08, 07:31 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,513 Likes on 1,652 Posts

Lots of video/info about it on acura.com - click Future Vehicles (top right)
Old 08-20-08, 07:34 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,513 Likes on 1,652 Posts

After looking at that video, I've no idea why ANYONE would want a GS AWD.
Old 08-20-08, 07:37 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
After looking at that video, I've no idea why ANYONE would want a GS AWD.
rather surprising coming from you...
Old 08-20-08, 08:26 AM
jmkiang
Calf Implant Beta Tester

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting opinions/comments from CL.

I own a 05 TL and love it!

I had the 09 TSX as a loaner for a week and man, I hated it! Cheap interior and ugly exterior styling. IMO, they made a mistake by upping the torque... acceleration isn't very smooth. Also saw the 09 RL at the dealership.. yuck!

The "shield grill" fits the MDX (to an extent) but definitely not a sedan!
Old 08-20-08, 08:43 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by jmkiang
IMO, they made a mistake by upping the torque...

Wait... what?
Old 08-20-08, 08:44 AM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow that thing looks like a lowered MDX. Torque steer FTL!
Old 08-20-08, 08:47 AM
jmkiang
Calf Implant Beta Tester

Originally Posted by GSteg
Wait... what?
1G TSX - 205hp/164tq
2G TSX - 201hp/172tq

Test drive one... doesn't feel right.
Old 08-20-08, 09:06 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

i've driven both and they felt fine to me. Torque isn't the issue here.
Old 08-20-08, 09:09 AM
jmkiang
Calf Implant Beta Tester

^ OK then maybe its just me. I enjoyed driving the 1G TSX much more.
Old 08-20-08, 09:21 AM
newr
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jmkiang
Interesting opinions/comments from CL.

I own a 05 TL and love it!

I had the 09 TSX as a loaner for a week and man, I hated it! Cheap interior and ugly exterior styling. IMO, they made a mistake by upping the torque... acceleration isn't very smooth. Also saw the 09 RL at the dealership.. yuck!

The "shield grill" fits the MDX (to an extent) but definitely not a sedan!
I think you are just waisting your breath defending Acura on CL. It's like trying to go up hill with a 300lbs around your ankles. Give up.. it's a lost cause.

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
Did I say negative? I said mixed, the car is not blowing anyone away except sheep. How the hell can something not be class leading but be the best blend of anything?

The last TL was tremendous, loved by all pretty much. This new one is loved by sheep who clearly have the eyesight of a shark.
I think both sheep and goats are in the same family.

Seem like all reviewers like the drive of the AWD version. I still can't get over the looks of the new TL..
Old 08-20-08, 09:25 AM
jmkiang
Calf Implant Beta Tester

Originally Posted by newr
I think you are just waisting your breath defending Acura on CL. It's like trying to go up hill with a 300lbs around your ankles. Give up.. it's a lost cause.
This would be true if I was defending Acura. I'm not a fan of the new styling either... something we have in common
Old 08-20-08, 10:21 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Lol the most powerful engine Acura has built has 1 less hp than the IS 350

Acura is an understated brand, its not a true luxury brand so why the hell would anyone want a BOLD Acura. Its like saying "hey, I love shopping at K-mart". They should hve stuck to their nice designs, even if slightly bland that these things.

I cringe everytime I see the RDX, MDX or new TSX on the road. Yuck.
Yes, Acuras most powerful v6 that is based on a old J series design is a whoping 1hp less then Lexus brand new DOHC v6 with direct injection, not so sure that is something to bash Acura about too much.
I believe Lexus most powerful engine up until 2005 or 2006 was 300hp and that was a v8.

Are you equating Acura buyers with Kmart shoppers? People who generally shop at Kmart buy cheap poorly made crap and drive old pickups, old suvs, cheap american cars, cheap korean cars, cheap Japanese cars anything that is generally old, cheap, and crappy, they certainly don't buy new Acura's or BMWs, Lexus, etc so that is a pointless comparison. Even though you hate Acura you can't say they are poorly made or crappy. If you are saying Acuras are cheap, many of their models are more expensive then Lexus models, MDX-more expensive then direct RX competition and more expensive then IS, ES, base GS. TL similiar price as ES and more expensive then IS250, TLS more then some RX models IS250/350, RDX more then IS, RL more then RX, IS, ES, some GS models. NSX was much more expensive then any Lexus model when it was on sale, Acuras certainly are not cheap or even inexpensive, they just offer more car for the money then most brands. I don't see how you equate Acura buyers with Kmart shoppers.

I agree the RDX does not look good but it does have a nice interior and powertrain but I still think the RDX should be dropped and replaced with a sports car or coupe and they just make 2 versions of the MDX, one that is smaller, lighter, less expensive without 3rd row seats for more female buyers to go more directly after the RX. I think the MDX and TSX look good although I am disappointed the TSX did not resemble the sports4 concept nor comes with the RDX turbo SHAWD powerplant.

Last edited by UDel; 08-20-08 at 02:11 PM.
Old 08-20-08, 10:41 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Did I say negative? I said mixed, the car is not blowing anyone away except sheep. How the hell can something not be class leading but be the best blend of anything?

The last TL was tremendous, loved by all pretty much. This new one is loved by sheep who clearly have the eyesight of a shark.
What entry level lux/sports sedan is blowing reviewers away? The IS, ES, G35, C class, A4, 3 series, certainly were not blowing reviewers away, they all had their strengths and weaknesses and generally just got decent reviews aside from maybe the 335i which has been favored pretty high. Most mid level cars like the A6, E class, RL, GS, M35, 5 series are not blowing reviewers away either except the high performance versions of some. Although the last TL and TSX were very highly reviewed they did not exactly blow reviewers away either. The cars that are blowing many reviewers away are generally very expensive cars like the Nissan GTR, 911 GT3, 911 turbo, Audi R8, AMG E class, E46 M3, Ferrari F430, Lambo Gallardo, Aston Martins, etc which are not in the TLs price class.

Any way you cut the 09 TL is getting positive reviews everywhere and nobody is saying the car is hideous or terrible looking when they see it in person or a disappointment when they drive it and they are impressed by the car inside and out and its improvements over the last TL which is exactly what the 09 TL was supposed to accomplish. It does not have to totally blow people away, it is not expensive enough to do that and no car in its class really blows reviewers away, it just has to improve on the excellent previous TL which it seems to have done, styling is subjective. You need to see the car in person with an "open" mind and "unbiased" view and drive it to reserve final judgement.

Quick Reply: 2009 Acura TL thread (merged threads, painted beak)