Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2009 Acura TL thread (merged threads, painted beak)

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-08, 11:11 AM
wmb0000
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
What entry level lux/sports sedan is blowing reviewers away? The IS, ES, G35, C class, A4, 3 series, certainly were not blowing reviewers away, they all had their strengths and weaknesses and generally just got decent reviews aside from maybe the 335i which has been favored pretty high. Most mid level cars like the A6, E class, RL, GS, M35, 5 series are not blowing reviewers away either except the high performance versions of some. Although the last TL and TSX were very highly reviewed they did not exactly blow reviewers away either. The cars that are blowing many reviewers away are generally very expensive cars like the Nissan GTR, 911 GT3, 911 turbo, Audi R8, AMG E class, E46 M3, Ferrari F430, Lambo Gallardo, Aston Martins, etc which are not in the TLs price class.

Any way you cut the 09 TL is getting positive reviews everywhere and nobody is saying the car is hideous or terrible looking when they see it in person or a disappointment when they drive it and they are impressed by the car inside and out and its improvements over the last TL which is exactly what the 09 TL was supposed to accomplish. It does not have to totally blow people away, it is not expensive enough to do that and no car in its class really blows reviewers away, it just has to improve on the excellent previous TL which it seems to have done, styling is subjective. You need to see the car in person with an "open" mind and "unbiased" view and drive it to reserve final judgement.
Great post

"You need to see the car in person with an "open" mind and "unbiased" view and drive it to reserve final judgement"
But you asking too much from 1SICKGOAT to look at Acura that way unfortunately
Old 08-20-08, 12:01 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
After looking at that video, I've no idea why ANYONE would want a GS AWD.
GS itself isnt that big of a car, new TL is probably more spacious inside and costs significantly less than GS350 AWD
Old 08-20-08, 12:54 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

What entry level lux/sports sedan is blowing reviewers away? The IS, ES, G35, C class, A4, 3 series, certainly were not blowing reviewers away, they all had their strengths and weaknesses and generally just got decent reviews aside from maybe the 335i which has been favored pretty high. Most mid level cars like the A6, E class, RL, GS, M35, 5 series are not blowing reviewers away either except the high performance versions of some. Although the last TL and TSX were very highly reviewed they did not exactly blow reviewers away either. The cars that are blowing many reviewers away are generally very expensive cars like the Nissan GTR, 911 GT3, 911 turbo, Audi R8, AMG E class, E46 M3, Ferrari F430, Lambo Gallardo, Aston Martins, etc which are not in the TLs price class.

Any way you cut the 09 TL is getting positive reviews everywhere and nobody is saying the car is hideous or terrible looking when they see it in person or a disappointment when they drive it and they are impressed by the car inside and out and its improvements over the last TL which is exactly what the 09 TL was supposed to accomplish. It does not have to totally blow people away, it is not expensive enough to do that and no car in its class really blows reviewers away, it just has to improve on the excellent previous TL which it seems to have done, styling is subjective. You need to see the car in person with an "open" mind and "unbiased" view and drive it to reserve final judgement.
Let me change that a bit.. ..

You need to see the car in person with an "open" goat mind and "unbiased" goat view and drive it to reserve final goat judgement.
Even after seeing and driving, I doubt any positives will come out of it.
Old 08-20-08, 01:31 PM
08IS350
Driver

I don't care what reviewers say about TL. If Acura grease them they will say good, lol. I can't stand its almost 3m overhang infront of front wheel. It won't even be on my bottom of the wish list unless it has 200% advantage than others in performance/driving dynamic whatever you called it. It is not in this case.

Last edited by 08IS350; 08-20-08 at 02:57 PM.
Old 08-20-08, 02:32 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 08IS350
I don't care what reviewers say about TL. If Acura grease them they will say good, lol. I can't stand its almost 3m overhang infront of front wheel. I won't even be on my bottom of the wish list unless it has 200% advantage than others in performance/driving dynamic whatever you called it. It is not in this case.
I agree 100%, that front overhang is like the ones from the Cadillacs and Lincolns of the 70's and 80's. I guess they couldn't do much about since it is a Honda Accord underneath, and that has the same ridiculous overhang.
Old 08-20-08, 04:56 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
With increases in costs in the past couple of years, particularly steel, but everything really, and weakened dollar, expect many brand new models to take a step up in price.
I don't know what amount of the content of the TL is sourced outside the US, but assembly in the US certainly shields Honda from some of the effect of currency fluctuations.
Old 08-20-08, 05:04 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by videcormeum
I don't know what amount of the content of the TL is sourced outside the US, but assembly in the US certainly shields Honda from some of the effect of currency fluctuations.
I'm pretty sure the TL is a uniquely American offering in Honda's lineup.

the TLs from 99-03 were offered in Japan as the Honda Inspire, but the TL since 2004 have all been unique to the United States. As far as I know, the TLs since then have been both designed AND built in North America..so the currency fluctuation won't affect the pricing of the TL--or as much as we think it will.
Old 08-20-08, 06:07 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by wmb0000
Great post

"You need to see the car in person with an "open" mind and "unbiased" view and drive it to reserve final judgement"
But you asking too much from 1SICKGOAT to look at Acura that way unfortunately
So let me get this right, b/c I started this thread here.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ighlight=acura
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...&highlight=nsx
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...&highlight=nsx

And I started a last gen TL appreciation thread (can't find the link)

So while I am no fan of the brand in general, I can share their positives. As for seeing the new TL in person, I pray I DON'T, b/c I don't need to be around another ugly vehicle that is going to make me throw up my lunch on the way to work.

Originally Posted by newr
I think you are just waisting your breath defending Acura on CL. It's like trying to go up hill with a 300lbs around your ankles. Give up.. it's a lost cause.

I think both sheep and goats are in the same family.

Seem like all reviewers like the drive of the AWD version. I still can't get over the looks of the new TL..
You do realize he was NOT defending Acura, but you are fanning flames.

Originally Posted by newr
Let me change that a bit.. ..

Even after seeing and driving, I doubt any positives will come out of it.
If you are going to just try to fan flames in this thread, I recommend you exit. Don't bunch CL together with those accusations, I guess you know what nearly 100,000 people think on here.

If you want to add your 2 cents on the car or Acura, then fine.

Last edited by LexFather; 08-20-08 at 06:10 PM.

Old 08-20-08, 06:53 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,513 Likes on 1,652 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
GS itself isnt that big of a car, new TL is probably more spacious inside and costs significantly less than GS350 AWD
Exactly, and the TL has a better AWD system, more technology inside, useful voice recognition, a decent size trunk opening. The only thing I don't like is that front grill, but you could say at least it's consistent with other Acura model designs. Hopefully an aftermarket option makes the snout look less goofy.
Old 08-20-08, 07:06 PM
LexGuy2
Driver School Candidate

Hell, the new TL looks bigger than my GS but it is definitely a better buy than the little IS, let's see... $42K fully loaded TL with torque-vectoring SH-AWD, nav with doppler radar and real time traffic, hard drive, 19 inch rims, ..hmm no brainer.
Old 08-20-08, 07:32 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by LexGuy2
Hell, the new TL looks bigger than my GS but it is definitely a better buy than the little IS, let's see... $42K fully loaded TL with torque-vectoring SH-AWD, nav with doppler radar and real time traffic, hard drive, 19 inch rims, ..hmm no brainer.
The TL is bigger than the GS and nearly every car in the next class up. Acura again put the TL in a niche. Its longer than the 1st and 2nd gen TL now.
How is that a no-brainer? Not everyone wants a car the size of the old LS 430. Some people prefer a RWD setup to FWD or AWD. Some people want a Lexus, period. While styling is subjective, the IS is arguably the best looking in class, the TL maybe worst in whatever class its in. The IS is made in Japan off the GS platform. The TL in Ohio off the Accord platform. Some will prefer the IS interior to the TL to similar to an Accord interior.

Considering how nearly useless the backseat of the IS is and the giant SIZE of the TL now, people will cross shop the two cars even less than before. The dimensions are just too far apart. In the past HONDA themselves stated the car the TL is most cross shopped with is THEIR OWN ACCORD

Old 08-20-08, 07:54 PM
LexGuy2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
The TL is bigger than the GS and nearly every car in the next class up. Acura again put the TL in a niche. Its longer than the 1st and 2nd gen TL now.
How is that a no-brainer? Not everyone wants a car the size of the old LS 430. Some people prefer a RWD setup to FWD or AWD. Some people want a Lexus, period. While styling is subjective, the IS is arguably the best looking in class, the TL maybe worst in whatever class its in. The IS is made in Japan off the GS platform. The TL in Ohio off the Accord platform. Some will prefer the IS interior to the TL to similar to an Accord interior.

Considering how nearly useless the backseat of the IS is and the giant SIZE of the TL now, people will cross shop the two cars even less than before. The dimensions are just too far apart. In the past HONDA themselves stated the car the TL is most cross shopped with is THEIR OWN ACCORD
Well, there is no denying the fact that Acura is as much Honda just like Lexus is as much Toyota, so I don't see anything to hate about it, otherwise I wouldn't own both Acura and Lexus.

People will definitely cross shop the IS and TL based on price $34-42K, and with the GS based on size. Agree, Lexus has more image caceh than Acura but for value/content it would be stupid not to at least take a look at the new TL.
Old 08-20-08, 08:01 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by LexGuy2
Well, there is no denying the fact that Acura is as much Honda just like Lexus is as much Toyota, so I don't see anything to hate about it, otherwise I wouldn't own both Acura and Lexus.

People will definitely cross shop the IS and TL based on price $34-42K, and with the GS based on size. Agree, Lexus has more image caceh than Acura but for value/content it would be stupid not to at least take a look at the new TL.
The Acura and Hondas bond is CLEARLY much much stronger, every Acura sedan is based off some sort of Accord platform one way or another. THe TSX is literally a rebadge here.

Lexus has been sold worldwide since 1989 as a Lexus. Lexus and Toyota continue to seperate platforms, engineers, parts, facilities.

Its CLEARLY obvious to owners, drivers, the public and to magazine reviews. Its not even up for debate.

The new TL having grown in size will be cross shopped more with the ES, even if the TL is sportier. The size differences between the IS and TL are just too great for most people to seriously cross shop, even if the price is similar.

Again, Honda said the Tl was cross shopped more with the Accord than anything. We have 20 people on the internet that cross shopped the previous TL and IS. The other 59,980 didn't look at an IS.

Acura again doesn't play head on, b/c they usually fail when that happens. They are usually good at defining niches and playing in the "gray" area instead of where the real players are.

Old 08-20-08, 10:56 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,513 Likes on 1,652 Posts

TL will be cross shopped with G35/G37, C-class, 3 series, A4/A6, and Lexus ES, IS and GS.
Old 08-20-08, 11:40 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
If you are going to just try to fan flames in this thread, I recommend you exit. Don't bunch CL together with those accusations, I guess you know what nearly 100,000 people think on here.

If you want to add your 2 cents on the car or Acura, then fine.
I hope you do know what these mean...

I don't need to add any flames... this thread was already going on 27+ pages on a freaking TL without any of my 2 cents except for some recently. Honestly, I think you are the one feeding the flames and keeping this thread alive.

Quick Reply: 2009 Acura TL thread (merged threads, painted beak)