Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2009 Acura TL thread (merged threads, painted beak)

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-08, 04:32 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
every Acura sedan is based off some sort of Accord platform one way or another.
You make it sound as if this is a bad thing. Is there something wrong with the Accord platform? It's FWD, yes, but it is a very structurally sound and solid platform. Accords have always been class leaders in chassis refinement, rigidity, solidness, bending stiffness, and overall driving dynamics.
I'm in agreement with you over Acura's current direction. I believe Acura is in trouble with this new TL. It's a real shame because I was very, very excited to see the new TL, and was flabbergasted at the results. I'm quite certain, though, that the car will drive amazingly, regardless of its sibling's platform.

Last edited by IS350jet; 08-21-08 at 10:13 AM.
Old 08-21-08, 06:27 AM
Koma

Originally Posted by IS350jet
You make it sound as if this is a bad thing. Is there something wrong with the Accord platform? It's FWD, yes, but it is a very structurally sound and solid platform. Accords have always been class leaders in chassis refinement, rigidity, solidness, bending stiffness, and overall driving dynamics.
I'm in agreement with you over Acura's current direction. I believe Acura is in trouble with this new TL. It's a real shame because I was very, very excited to see the new TL, and was flabbergasted at the results. I'm quite certain, though, that the car will drive amazingly, regardless of it's sibling's platform.
Well while the Accord platform might be good for Honda, it's not necessarily a good platform for Acura who wants to be Tier 1.
In my opinion they made the Accord grow too much.
Old 08-21-08, 06:51 AM
wmb0000
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could be wrong, but isn't Lexus platform sharing with toyota as well ?

I see nothing wrong with platform sharing. I loved my RX350
Old 08-21-08, 06:59 AM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Received 812 Likes on 566 Posts

Lexus is only platform sharing the SUVs and the ES. The main sedans all have Lexus exclusive platforms.
Old 08-21-08, 07:37 AM
Koma

Originally Posted by wmb0000
I could be wrong, but isn't Lexus platform sharing with toyota as well ?

I see nothing wrong with platform sharing. I loved my RX350
I don't claim Lexus to be tier 1 yet either. They lack options that a tier 1 luxury brand does. Coupes? More transmission and engines choices?
Old 08-21-08, 08:50 AM
08IS350
Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Exactly, and the TL has a better AWD system, more technology inside, useful voice recognition, a decent size trunk opening. The only thing I don't like is that front grill, but you could say at least it's consistent with other Acura model designs. Hopefully an aftermarket option makes the snout look less goofy.
I would take better AWD system. Except that, More tech inside such as (push button ignition, heated seat, tons of buttons, doppler rader, realtime traffic.. wooooow more tech???? most of them are not new or advanced anymore). SOHC, 5AT, Regular HID. where are DOHC, 6AT, ventilated seat, AFS with auto leveling,?? what kind of more tech you get from TL beside real time weather/traffic and AWD? for me, i don't need weather. it is BS unless you use TL to drive cross country everyday.lol.

Last edited by 08IS350; 08-21-08 at 08:57 AM.
Old 08-21-08, 09:18 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 08IS350
I would take better AWD system. Except that, More tech inside such as (push button ignition, heated seat, tons of buttons, doppler rader, realtime traffic.. wooooow more tech???? most of them are not new or advanced anymore). SOHC, 5AT, Regular HID. where are DOHC, 6AT, ventilated seat, AFS with auto leveling,?? what kind of more tech you get from TL beside real time weather/traffic and AWD? for me, i don't need weather. it is BS unless you use TL to drive cross country everyday.lol.
+1. Outside of a more sophisticated AWD setup I don't see much of an advantage over a comparable GS (or heck an ES). The new XM features IMO are worthless. Weather? Im on the road driving. I can see what the weather is like. Plus the car tells me the outside temp. and every radio station already gives me a weather outlook for the week. Voice recogn. still pretty crappy if you ask me. Unless they made some improvements for 2009. Doesn't have better gas mileage. And its down right nasty to look at.
So basically IMO Acura didn't improve a thing outside of adding AWD and making it bigger. Now I will still go to my friends dealership and still drive it and say it drives great just like the current model, but that's pobably where the kudos will stop for me.
Old 08-21-08, 10:20 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Exclamation Ventilated Seats

That is what the GS has over the TL & I am being serious, it may seem like an unnecessary bell & whistle but I enjoy it. Why Acura is so slow to implement it in the US I will never understand.
Old 08-21-08, 10:21 AM
LexFather

The IS has it over the TL as well.

Old 08-21-08, 10:49 AM
wmb0000
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GFerg
+1. Outside of a more sophisticated AWD setup I don't see much of an advantage over a comparable GS (or heck an ES). The new XM features IMO are worthless. Weather? Im on the road driving. I can see what the weather is like. Plus the car tells me the outside temp. and every radio station already gives me a weather outlook for the week. Voice recogn. still pretty crappy if you ask me. Unless they made some improvements for 2009. Doesn't have better gas mileage. And its down right nasty to look at.
So basically IMO Acura didn't improve a thing outside of adding AWD and making it bigger. Now I will still go to my friends dealership and still drive it and say it drives great just like the current model, but that's pobably where the kudos will stop for me.
In all honestly everyone opinion is going to be different in term on accessories in a car.

You might find the XM thing useless but maybe not to others who find it useful. As same with Ventilate seat. Some might find it useful while others will not. But I think both are really nice to have, but careless if they are not in my opinion
Old 08-21-08, 11:03 AM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by GS69
That is what the GS has over the TL & I am being serious, it may seem like an unnecessary bell & whistle but I enjoy it. Why Acura is so slow to implement it in the US I will never understand.
I'm with you on the ventilated seats. At first I thought, they were no big deal, but going from my car to my mom's RX400h is horrible because her seats are not ventilated and on longer drives my back will start sweating.
Old 08-21-08, 11:05 AM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by wmb0000
In all honestly everyone opinion is going to be different in term on accessories in a car.

You might find the XM thing useless but maybe not to others who find it useful. As same with Ventilate seat. Some might find it useful while others will not. But I think both are really nice to have, but careless if they are not in my opinion
Agreed. In places like So. Cal, the AWD and weather will not be very useful. However, in places where it snows and the weather can take a quickly take a drastic turn for the worst, those options can be life savers.
Old 08-21-08, 11:30 AM
wmb0000
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Allen K
Agreed. In places like So. Cal, the AWD and weather will not be very useful. However, in places where it snows and the weather can take a quickly take a drastic turn for the worst, those options can be life savers.
Yup .. agreed
Old 08-21-08, 12:22 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

If there was ES350 AWD, there would be no need for LS460 AWD anymore...
Old 08-21-08, 01:23 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by 08IS350
SOHC and DOHC is irelevant the engine is still 24 valve, you dont need two cams to control 24 valves on a V6 anymore its doable with one

Quick Reply: 2009 Acura TL thread (merged threads, painted beak)