Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2009 Acura TL thread (merged threads, painted beak)

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-08, 08:09 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

For the first time ever in an Acura vehicle, the newly redesigned TL will be available with a choice of two different VTEC® engines while also offering both front wheel-drive and all-wheel-drive

At least engine wise, this is NOT the first time Acura has had two different VTEC V6 engines offered in the same car. So sad these new Acura people don't even know their own past product line. Granted, the other two engines were not really choices but were determined by transmission type, but still it was two different VTEC engines.
Old 09-16-08, 08:29 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That pricing seems a little steeper than most people were expecting.
Old 09-16-08, 08:32 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
That pricing seems a little steeper than most people were expecting.
The car is just way too big, nevermind the styling. One could probably pick up the RL (better interior, more balanced but still hideous styling) similarly equipped for around the price of the top-of-the-line TL.
Old 09-16-08, 08:42 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by videcormeum
The car is just way too big, nevermind the styling. One could probably pick up the RL (better interior, more balanced but still hideous styling) similarly equipped for around the price of the top-of-the-line TL.
It's sad for Acura when most people would rank them like this:

1. 2008 TL
2. 2008 RL
3. 2009 RL
4. 2009 TL.

Old 09-16-08, 08:46 PM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Received 812 Likes on 566 Posts

I have to admit I kinda like those rims
Old 09-16-08, 11:55 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

i saw an new TL on the road, most people probably dont like it, but i do.
Old 09-17-08, 07:49 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,513 Likes on 1,652 Posts

I think it's going to do great. The front is a bit 'out there' but overall I think it's a winner.

I don't think pricing is out of line at all compared to prior TL's and the competition.

I've also seen a few new TSX's on the road and before I realized what they were I thought "sharp!".

Toyota/Lexus has nothing to compete with this TL.
Old 09-17-08, 08:08 AM
08IS350
Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I think it's going to do great. The front is a bit 'out there' but overall I think it's a winner.

I don't think pricing is out of line at all compared to prior TL's and the competition.

I've also seen a few new TSX's on the road and before I realized what they were I thought "sharp!".

LEXUS doesn't compete with ACURA. So, why would LEXUS need to compete TL? Let this ugly Acura Products compete with low selling Audi.
Old 09-17-08, 08:37 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

Sorry but Acura doesn't compete, they continue to go into niches and not directly compete with the big boys. The new TSX is disgusting in person, its huge and has 201 whole hp. They try to position it as 3/IS/etc competition but it doesn't.

Acuras to this day are bought b/c of "value" and this TL has moved up in a price bracket that people cringe at when they see Acura, 40k. The only successful Acura product that sold over 40k is the MDX and any idiot can sell a SUV.

Most sold will be FWD models but the price and ugliness are going to scare people away. I simply DO NOT see their goal of 70k being met. I say 50k.

Its the darnest thing. Since the dawn of time, people have asked for AWD Acuras or RWD Acuras. The RL is the first AWD Acura and sells like monkey crap at the Farmers market. The TL is the 2nd and they make it as big as the RL and ugly. The same people who begged for this combo are scratching their heads. 5 speed auto from 1995? No manual initially? 4000lbs? Average power in class? Oh, but the NAv can point me to a McDonalds? Yippie!!!!

I see a bunch of people moving to the Genesis, G8, Maxima, let alone the luxury brand competition over this thing. Sorry.

Old 09-17-08, 08:57 AM
carguy101
Lead Lap

So a 2009 TL FWD with Nav is $39,500.

The 2009 G37 Sedan apparently gets a price increase of $1000. So a 2009 G37 Sedan auto with Nav is also about $39,500.

I see little reason to get the TL over the G37. The G37 is RWD, has 50 more hp, 2 more gears, and the same mpg.
Old 09-17-08, 09:02 AM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Received 812 Likes on 566 Posts

The G also has the (arguably) better interior.
Old 09-17-08, 09:58 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,513 Likes on 1,652 Posts

Obviously you guys think it's an epic failure, so I guess we'll see what the sales are. I don't care either way.
Old 09-17-08, 10:38 AM
farquad
Lexus Test Driver

can't wait to see the sales on it.. i have a feeling it will sell.. but it probably won't be for its looks
Old 09-17-08, 10:53 AM
carguy101
Lead Lap

I think it'll meet its 70k sales target in its first full year, then gradually taper off after that. Something like

2009 - 70k
2010 - 60k
2011 - 55k
2012 - 50k
2013 - 50k
Old 09-17-08, 11:27 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by 08IS350
LEXUS doesn't compete with ACURA. So, why would LEXUS need to compete TL? Let this ugly Acura Products compete with low selling Audi.
Of course Lexus and Acura compete with each other. Where would you get that they don't? Just recently when I was at the Acura dealership when my parents were getting a 08 Acura TL I saw 3 people driving Lexus cars looking at new Acuras and one was buying a MDX and I have seen several used Lexus cars on sale on their lot from being traded in for Acuras. My dad looked at 4 other cars when he was thinking about the TL, a G35, Lexus IS, Lexus ES, and a Lexus GS, (he is not into overpriced unreliable German cars). When we went to the Lexus dealership the Lexus salesman was naming off cars that competed with the Lexus models and comparing them to the Lexus and he named several Acuras as well as Infiniti's, BMWs, and Mercedes, he named the TSX compared to the IS, ES compared to the TL, and RL compared to the GS and vice versa at the Acura dealerships which were naming Lexus vehicles competing with Acuras. After reviewing and driving the cars he chose the TL as it fit his needs and liked the TL better.

In all magazine/book comparisons and reviews when they review Lexus vehicles they are usually compared with Acuras and Acuras are usually compared with Lexus vehicles as well as others, there are some exceptions with models like the NSX, RSX, SC430, LX470, and LS460, that don't compete with models from the other brand. Just because vehicles are not exactly like the competition or a little size/powerwise/etc does not mean there is no way they can't compete.

If you don't think people don't compare and chose TL over ES, MDX over RX, RL over GS, GS over TL, TSX over IS, and vice versa as well as comparing Infinitis, BMW, Mercedes, etc then you should read up a little or ask around because they have models that compete with each other. The TL has been the best selling luxury car in America several times and you can be certain people compared and chose it over competing Lexus models as well as other brands. The MDX has been a big seller and has certainly been chosen over the Lexus RX/GX as well as the BMW X5 and Merc M class.

It is true Acura does not have a big v8 rwd luxury flagship like the LS460 and S class but most other Acura models compete with Lexus models and buyers compare the 2 brands all the time, I have personally witnessed it as well as it is clear from how manufactures market their vehicles. Infiniti, Acura, and Lexus are all upmarket brands from large Japanese auto companies that started around the same time and are generally viewed as more reliable, better built, and less expensive then their European competition, they are going to compete with each other but do have some vehicles in their own niche that do not compete with each other.

Quick Reply: 2009 Acura TL thread (merged threads, painted beak)