Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Which cute-ute for you?
Acura RDX
27.69%
Audi Q5
27.69%
BMW X3
4.62%
Infiniti EX35
12.31%
Mercedes Benz GLK
9.23%
Volvo XC60
1.54%
No way in hell
10.77%
A wagon
6.15%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Which luxury cute-ute would you pick?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-08, 06:36 AM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never understood why anybody would buy one of these terrible vehicles. They're ugly, they're slow, they don't handle well, they usually don't ride that well, they can't go offroad well, and they don't have much cargo/passenger space on average. Why?!?!?
Old 04-25-08, 06:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Haven't seen the Q5 and the GLK yet in person, so I won't make a call right now.....but I've always liked the Outback for combining regular car, AWD, and SUV. I especially like the Outback's road manners, compared to even "cute" SUV's. An Outback L.L. Bean would rival a lot of so-called "luxury" interiors.
Old 04-25-08, 06:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by thetopdog
I have never understood why anybody would buy one of these terrible vehicles. They're ugly, they're slow, they don't handle well, they usually don't ride that well,
Go drive an Acura RDX and then come back and tell us that. The RDX, with its turbo engine and firm-handling suspension, is the true definition of a small "Sport" SUV if there ever was one. However, I'll concede that the RDX does rides stiffly.

Many buy this type of vehicle simply for the high ground clearance and AWD going through deep snow and mud.
Old 04-25-08, 06:58 AM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Go drive an Acura RDX and then come back and tell us that. The RDX, with its turbo engine and firm-handling suspension, is the true definition of a small "Sport" SUV if there ever was one. However, I'll concede that the RDX does rides stiffly.

Many buy this type of vehicle simply for the high ground clearance and AWD going through deep snow and mud.
It might handle well in comparison to other cute utes, but I doubt it's even as sporty as a TSX, nevermind an actual sports car

And high ground clearance doesn't mean anything if you never (or can't) go off road. I can't see one advantage an RDX has over a TSX except possibly slightly more cargo space
Old 04-25-08, 07:38 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

RDX for me
Old 04-25-08, 08:26 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I have never understood why anybody would buy one of these terrible vehicles. They're ugly, they're slow, they don't handle well, they usually don't ride that well, they can't go offroad well, and they don't have much cargo/passenger space on average. Why?!?!?
Wow... I could have written that. Exactly.

I'd rather buy a wagon. Better handling, better economy, most of the time
they even have more space.

I would rather have a bus pass than one of these silly "SUVs."
Old 04-25-08, 08:40 AM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
Wow... I could have written that. Exactly.

I'd rather buy a wagon. Better handling, better economy, most of the time
they even have more space.

I would rather have a bus pass than one of these silly "SUVs."

It seems you have good taste too since you're driving a GS400! I used to have a 99GS4
Old 04-25-08, 09:08 AM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

I picked the Audi as I like the looks, but the only reason one of these would be in the driveway is if I my wife wanted one, as I would prefer a Wagon.

If I voted for her, then she would pick the Infinti EX.
Old 04-25-08, 09:34 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure I'd call those cute utes. Yes they're the smallest ones out now but the RX300 was no bigger than those and it wasn't a 'cute ute'.

1sicklex, you know how in the other thread you said you were tired of things just getting more powerful without any focus on efficiency? I'd think you'd feel similarly here... the RX300 was big enough back then, why do 'real' lux SUVs have to be bigger now to not be considered 'cute utes'? You've always seemed to regard them as substandard and sub-luxury but I don't think there's anything wrong with owning a smaller, less expensive to buy/produce/drive luxury SUV.

Anyway.. to answer the question... I hate the way the X3 looks. The Q5 looks nice. I've only driven the RDX out of all of those and it was fun to drive but the fuel economy numbers on it are pretty dismal for a turbo 4.
Old 04-25-08, 10:12 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

well, having a small SUV myself, i think ill make a list for you. and you should go drive any smallish SUV youself and see if you like it.

1) sure, its small, but its bigger than a sedan. grocery shopping and Costco shopping (if you dont know what that is, its a large wholesale warehouse), and the trunk and wide opening make it easier
2) ride height. sitting in a high position is just addictive. you can see everything so much better.
3) i guess "off road" capabilities may be going too far, but it will be able to handle small areas that require awd.
4) interior space for family.
5) wagons are for women. lol
Old 04-25-08, 10:27 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

How does that saying go again? "All that glitters isn't gold." This can be said of some of the vehicles here. Sure, the interiors may look nice on the computer screens and magazines, but people need to have some actual seat time in the vehicles before passing judgement. Close the doors, feel the dash board, play with the controls, check the fit and finish, and lastly drive the vehicles. The RDX in particular looked nice inside, but felt as if it will have some loose interor panels within 10k miles imo. It felt as if it was assembled in 5 minutes at the factory imo. I found the rear legroom in the rear limited and the cargo area smaller than I expected. The 4 banger is very buzzy, but the vehicle does drive nice. I did not have an opportunity to sit in the Audi Q5. Heck, I did not even see it at the NYIAS. Hopefully, the Audi is similar in fit, finish and feel of the Q7. Lastly, the X3.. Sure the skin does not look appealing to some inside or out (new X3 coming in 2009 with the TT motor), but sit in one and drive it.. The fit, finish and materials used are excellent (satin finished door handles and shifter are a nice touch) the controls are right where the driver needs them, legroom is excellent with room to spare (even for those over 6ft like myself). The cargo room is larger than the RDX & yes the 3 series (in real life).
And the drive.... It is a BMW.. Excellent steering feedback, suspension tuning handeling, & braking.. It does not drive like your soccer mom suv.. The X3 actually is very close in size to the X5, but X3 sits lower to the ground. Heck the X3 is very close in size to the precious Lexus RX..... Many would classify that as a "cute ute" also.. Heck, itshould be in the poll as well.. I may trade in my current X3 for the upcoming version... Stay tuned..

So one begs the question... Why own such a vehicle ? I purchased my so called "cute ute" because I was looking for all weather versatility (you can't drive a wagon through flooded roadways with at least 1ft or more & deep snow), cargo capacity including size and weight (heavy items will weigh down the back of a wagon and cause the vehicle to scrub).. So yes, the purchase of a so called "cute ute" made sense to someone like myself.. I am a Home Depot trotter that was seeking a combination of fun to drive and versatility, and I got it.. Hey, the Autoshow is making its rounds.. Magazine drivers & internet surfers should check these vehicles out for sure..
Old 04-25-08, 10:31 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

^^ i think we can safely assume your the "one" who voted for the X3
Old 04-25-08, 10:36 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RX 350 actually slates well into this market based on size, power, and even pricing even though Lexus neglects to mention it and many others don't realize it.

Considering that, despite it's age, I would choose the RX because it does everything well and has struck the right balance of everything IMO. Second would be the Q5, and are those the official pictures of the thing, or just PS's?
Old 04-25-08, 11:03 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been thinking about this for a while, if i were to get another car, it will be one of these smaller size SUV

Q5>RDX>EX35>XC60>GLK>X3 (the ugliest car to come out of bmw besides the 1series)
Old 04-25-08, 11:15 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Without considering the price, these are the only SUVs I like styling-wise:

1. BMW X6
2. BMW X5
3. Land Rover Range Rover Sport
4. Land Rover Range Rover
5. Porsche Cayenne GTS/Turbo
6. Infiniti EX35
7. Acura RDX
8. Lexus LX570
9. Honda CR-V
10. GMC Acadia
11. Mercedes-Benz GLK
12. Toyota Land Cruiser
13. Buick Enclave
14. Lexus RX
15. Mercedes-Benz ML

Quick Reply: Which luxury cute-ute would you pick?