Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My heart is broken (need advice regarding insurance claim)

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-08 | 11:47 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

I am an insurance agent too, and trust me, fender bender in private property is really a pain. No police report will be filed unless you are injured.
Same as Bass Mech said, you need to file a claim to her ins company ASAP. Hopefully they will pay the damage, but since no police report is filed, it is really your words against hers, hope she won't lie about it.

Last time someone hit me in the parking lot, who didn't really speak English as well, I just keep them there until they paid me the damage in CASH!

Anyway, GL.
Old 04-26-08 | 12:30 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Pretty common practice as others have said, that police will not respond to file a report unless someone is bodily injured. Understanding theat you have a $1000 deductable, unfortunately this is the chance you take for the offset of lower monthly payments. In any instance, file a claim with her insurance agency. Really cannot understand why they would deny your claim, unless she just flat out lies. Also, you mentiolned that this happened on the factory parking lot. Do you guys have security?? If so, most factories, that I know, at least have security cameras. Maybe they have that particular day still on file and hope to goodness that you car is within the range on one of them. They may be able to make you a copy or a duplicate file if they have the image captured. Anyways,, sorry to hear about your car. Good luck!!
Old 04-26-08 | 02:12 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Thanks guys, the insurance company is closed today and tomorrow, and also was closed the time it happened on Friday which was around 7:30 ish, so I will file the claim as soon as I get out of class on Monday morning around 10 am.

Turns out her and I have the same insurance company ha.

What happen is, I work in a business park / warehouse park, so most of the building is low single or two story buildings with an integrated warehouse in the back connecting to the parking lot... Her place across the packing lot from mine was converted into sheet metal type of processing plant where as mine is just an office building with a Warehouse... so there is no security or gate person etc. But I shall check for security cameras as soon as I am at work on Monday, thanks for the tips/lucks and kind words.

I will keep you guys updated
Old 04-26-08 | 02:51 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

As others have stated getting hit on private property is a PITA to deal with. I really hope I never have to go through it again.

Someone bumped into me a few winters back and I had the rear bumper repainted. Dealing with my insurance company, his, and him personally was a complete PITA (no-fault insurance) so I just decided to take him to small claims court under the mini tort provision. I won.
Old 04-28-08 | 11:12 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Due to horrible rain today morning my Physics Professor couldn't make it to school so I spent almost the entire hour on the phone with the other parties insurance people, having made it absolutely clear to them that I was stationary in my vehicle when hit, and that the other party has multiple damage prior to our little incident... the insurance adjuster is going to come out soon and I will get a rental for a few days

Thank you everyone!
Old 04-28-08 | 01:05 PM
link13
Lead Lap

CA won't file a police report if the damage is under a certain threshhold, there are no injuries, and/or it's on private property. Don't worry. You'll be fine. Call her insurance company and open the claim. They'll ask for your version of events and hers and then determine fault. You weren't even in the driver's seat / moving, so fault should be pretty easy to establish. Good luck.
Old 04-28-08 | 03:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Fortunately your Lexus doesn't seem severely damaged. From the picture, looks like about $1000 or so on the front end....with repainting.

If you have her insurance info and her company doesn't recognize your claim, you may have a case for small-claims court (just don't take it to that arrogant Judge Judy ). With the shot, You have clear evidence there of damage. If possible (if you already haven't done so), get a shot of her van showing paint smears on it the same color as your Lexus's paint.....that may not prove your case 100%, but will really bolster it.
Old 04-28-08 | 09:29 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

mikez- did you have a camera with you, or camera in your cell phone? If so, I'd have used all its memory taking pics of where the vehicles were, the damage, HER, different angles, etc., as evidence to show insurance.

Long shot but maybe the cell phone co. can prove your car hadn't moved cuz your cell phone didn't move?