Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

1SICKREVIEW: The 2008 Atlanta Auto Show, with pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-08, 04:11 PM
LexFather

Now I met a bud who is a Honda guy, he just sold his TSX 6 speed. He is there to keep me unbiased, lol. Then I went with another bud, who has a S2000 but doesn't know diddly about cars.

Now this is the first time I remember that the first exhibits you see are NOT the Toyota/Lexus exhibit. It was Hummer on the left and Buick on the right. Thats when I notice GM has all the initial booths, Caddy, Pontiac, Chevy, Saab, GMC...

Seems GM is more serious. So now I will explain which areas I went to.

Buick

They have a very small lineup, only 3 vehicles but decent traffic. I loved the Enclave they split in half so you can walk "inside" it. Very nice work!!!

They seem very well built, I spent the majority of my time checking out the Enclave. Very very nice. Its pretty large as well. I have to say it looks expensive! Interior is very well done, very good materials uses (more on this later). I still have exposed cup holders, CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP, put a lid over them please.

Not one young person at this booth, all middle aged and older people.

Overall, I walked away feeling Buick is getting it together and IMO, is entry level luxury. The image though, just keeps me away. My two buds were laughing that I was so interested, and stated they would never get a Buick.

Old 04-27-08, 04:15 PM
LexFather

Chevy

Well I then see the Camaro Concept Convertible. The coupe was here last year. It really looks good, I am a fan of the design. Seeing it will make production, I smell a hit. The Mustang will always have its fans and I find this another good retro but not TOO retro, where it can't be evolved. Tons of people taking pics, good crow

Great job Chevy!!!

I mainly also checked out the Vette and they have the ZR1 there. That thing is just beautiful, purposeful, I wanted to hump it on the stand. There were TONS of people around it and the Z06 and the regular Vette. What a car.

The blue touches are great, the wheels, the carbon fiber, the aerodynamic kit, what a car, WHAT a car. My buds pointed out the see through panel on the hood, they liked that. Another big thumbs up to Chevy.

Old 04-27-08, 04:23 PM
LexFather

Lexus
I walk then past Acura to the Lexus section. You couldn't even walk around, TONS of people. They had the IS-F and LS 600h L on rotating stands and then another red IS-F for people to check out. The IS 350 "F-sport" was there and I was VERY surprised at how much I liked it. IN pics, I thought it was kinda on, in person, WOW. I also didn't realize how big the lip was on the rear wheel, so of course I took a dub out and used it for reference

What was sad was there were tons of people around the IS 350 F Sport and IS-F and TONS of misinformation being talked about. I didn't see any Lexus reps around the IS-F, they all were around the LS or GS or LX. So I am standing there, explaining both cars to everyone. \

The funniest one was a European man (had to be b/c of his accent) who was kind of be-littling the car to his bud and I explained things to him. He seemed struck that this guy in a Yankees hat knew what he was talking about and his bud seemed to value what I said.

The kids also were loving the Lexus both, as Lexus had a cool "IS-F EXPERIENCE" where you could drive the IS-F on GRAND TURISMO PROLOGUE! Pretty cool!! I took pics of the IS-F on the game, it was way to realistic.

Nothing to really report except the SC 430, for being old, still gets tons of attention and was parked in front. The GS 460 was parked away in the back. The GS 450h was near the LS 600h L and the IS-F's aggressiveness really makes it look rather "blah". My two buds commented the GS did nothing for them.

Overall, I got the feeling that Lexus had a luxurious presentation and it was amazing how much interest the IS-F was getting. There was the usual Lexus customers loving the LS and the rest of the lineup. Being a GS fan since day one, the car continues to sell okay, do okay and IMO okay, is sub-par for Lexus.

Old 04-27-08, 04:28 PM
LexFather

Nissan
My bud who got there early then says "you know the GT-R is here" and I totally forgot about it. We walk past Infiniti to the GT-R on its rotating stand.

We sit there and drool with about 20 other people for 20 minutes. Tons of people checking out this car.

When I tell you this car has presence and looks like NOTHING ELSE on the planet...wow. It didn't even look ugly to me, it looks ready to eat babies. I swear it was talking to me "FEED ME YOUR BUDDIES KIDS". I almost threw one up there.

The lady presenter was as tasty as the GT-R. She did a great job explaining it. This car is IMO a must have. I must have. I love it.

The rear is perfect. They blended the trunk and bumper but it juts out perfectly, like a contact lens. Amazing. The Exhaust, Wheels, calipers, brakes, the color (beautiful silver) was awesome.

They gave away some posters, the girl was cute, we talked to her and walked away with ten.

The other car of interest was the MURANO. Now the exterior is pukealicious but the interior is fantastic. I could not believe it. On par with an Infiniti, down to the dials and *****. Leather felt decent too. The next Maxima will have just as good as an interior. Kudos to Nissan!

Overall though, they had a very large area and it seemed rather empty to me outside the GT-R and the 350Z.

Old 04-27-08, 04:32 PM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can not wait to see what do they have over there.....
Old 04-27-08, 04:32 PM
LexFather

Scion
Had a cool display but overall, of no interest to me. My bud who knows nothing, said he likes how the tC looks.

Toyota
I had no interest here, I did like the white/black FJ they had (not a fan of the vehicle for the most part). The new Corolla looks like the old Corolla and the interior is okay, I think Toyota is now just selling it b/c its a Corolla. No boundaries were pushed with this car. Amazingly, there are tons of people at the Toyota display, why, I really don't know.

They did have some cute presenters as well. One could have had my babies she was that damn fine.

Old 04-27-08, 04:39 PM
LexFather

Infiniti
My bud who had the TSX says "Nick's car is here" and I look and he's pointing at the G37. Dude, that is the new G37, Nick has a G35. "Oh, it looks like Nick's car". You see where this is going.

So they had the FX50 on a rotating stand. I'm standing in front of it and overhear "the front just looks weird" and it rotates to me and looks like a giant dinosaur catfish. The chrome vents is just TACKY. The wheels are nice and the rest of the car looks like the old car. You can see the inside is well done, but I could not sit inside. I just can't believe how bad that front is. Its really awful, in a way that sitting on rusty nails is awful.

Next to the EX. I don't think its a SUV, it sits way to low. I sit inside and the interior is well done and does feel slightly better than the Murano. Nice leather. So I push my seat all the way back and like the Lexus IS, the rear seat is a got damn joke. This is a SUV though. So I took a pic of my buds kids and she had to angle her leg to sit down. Its that cramped. Then I open the trunk and it is literally laughable. We all say "WTF". I think this is more a 5 door hatchback than a SUV. As a matter of fact, it is. This vehicle makes no damn sense.

I have to say both Nissan and Infiniti have done a tremendous job with their interiors. The paint looks very good as fit and finish.

Infiniti has a very small lineup so they had like 10 of each vehicle to take up space. I would say they had some decent traffic. They also were directly across Lexus, which wasn't too bright of a move.

Old 04-27-08, 04:51 PM
LexFather

Acura

Now what is interesting is the comments not I had, but my bud, the Honda/Acura guy had. I'll go through them before I put in my thoughts.

1. TSX-its a lot bigger than my old one. That front grill is freaking plastic, it looks like the ugly concept. I don't understand it has less power than mine.
2. TL-S-I would have bought this instead of my TSX-6 if it was available. It looks fantastic.
3. RL-Dude, this thing is 50k, what a rip off. I might get it for 40k. It doesn't look like a 50k car. Look at this and the TSX. The inside is cramped, feels smaller than the TSX. What are they thinking
4. MDX-Dude, this thing is 50k, what a rip off. I might get it for 40k. It doesn't look like a 50k car. The interior is weird. There is no room for my daughters in the last row of seats.
5. RDX- I think I am going to get a GT-R, I don't know what Acura is doing.

So I kind of laugh, b/c this is the Honda/Acura guy (he still has an Accord) who doesn't like anything they have.

Now my turn. First thing, the TSX is ugly as sin. The front end is horrible, it looks like a robot condor. It also is huge, I could not believe the size of it. The car has a hood prop. A hood prop. A hood prop. The hood weighs 900 lbs. Yes, Acura in 2009 wants you to believe this is a luxury car. There is TONS of room under the hood for a V-6, hell a V-8, IMO. Its a big car. The interior IMO was built very well, very solid feel and materials. The plastic painted silver has to go, the Murano had some great silver pieces. Interior also looks like the Accord I will see in 5 minutes.

The TL-S was in black and it looked fantastic, very sinister. How I wish it was RWD!! Tons of people checking it out. This is the best looking Honda/Acura maybe ever. Why this design team doesn't do all their products is beyond me.

Stupid Acura didn't even have the 2009 RL there. Maybe they will do us all a favor and not sell it. They had the OLD models there. I couldn't believe that!! Another sign they are not for real, this company has its head up its ***. The MDX interior was very good to me. Actually I liked it, it was different.

Old 04-27-08, 04:54 PM
LexFather

Caddy
I like the STS headlights, i do like the old front end compared to the newer one. The interior is pretty **** poor for this price of vehicle.

The CTS on the stock 17s looks odd. The interior is REFRESHING, it was one of the few vehicles that I didn't feel I had sat in before. Very very good materials.
They had a CTS-V on the rotating stand. Very nice. It looked meaner in pics though.

Caddy had tons of traffic, a lot of interest in it. A lot of people around the XLR-V. This seems to be a car people like but people don't like to buy.

Old 04-27-08, 05:02 PM
LexFather

I checked out Saturn/ GMC/ Pontiac but nothing of true interest. I will say the American interiors on the more expensive models are really catching up.

BMW

TONS of people around BMW. I mean tons. They have a very new lineup still, the 3, M3, 1, X6, X5....The 135 there was black with red leather. The looks really are growing on me. The interior really didn't seem that cheap at all. Some kid told his dad "this lil car has 300hp" There was a huge crowd around this car. I smell a hit.

The 3 convertible also seemed very popular. I took a pic of the trunk room with the roof down. Nice car.

Onto the X6, which is pretty freaking big. Amazingly, the interior is pretty freaking small. The rear seat is awfully cramped. There is decent room in the hatch area. THis is not a coupe and anyone saying or claiming its a coupe, should be shot on the spot. This is a 5 door hatchback. It doesn't look like a coupe, it looks like an Aztek/AMC Pacer thing with a BMW badge. It is not a coupe. Interior is built very well, solid. I did throw up after seeing it, as well as a line of people running to the bathroom. Quote of the day, the 80 year old lady with her husband in the front, sitting in the rear, legs pinned against the seat "Harold, I love this car".
BMW could sell baking powder as cocaine and people would buy it, snort it, claim it was cocaine, claim they were high and be happy.

The X5 IMO, looks very good. I find the X5 and X6 front ends are way to similar. I really like the X5 interior as well, very well built. Amazing how much bigger this is compared to the last model. Almost like they should name it X7.

I didn't realize how big the 5 trunk was until today. The 7 there had no one around it and it has aged very badly, IMO.

I loved BMWs presentation and how they showed their awards, free maintenance, etc. This is a brand that feels progressive and you do want to be involved with.

The M3 simply needs 19s. The 18s really make it look blah. They had a red one, I really didn't like how it looked. It was on a stand so I could not play with it.

Old 04-27-08, 05:09 PM
LexFather

Mini
I love Mini and they are so customizable and cool/cute. I really liked the roof on the convert, you an just open the top part over your head and not drop the entire roof down. For a brand with really one vehicle, tons of people around it.

Butler Tire
Every year they bring their customers cars and wow the crowd, this year was no exception. Aston Martin DB9 with a kit. F430 with wheels. S550 "murdered" out. BMW M6 with the worst kit I have seen on a luxury car. Tons of wheels, HRE to Asanti. This was a very crowded area and it helped they had some music playing. The "Walk it out remix" with Andre 3000 was playing, (that guy can rap).

VW

The had a neat recycling machine where they were making Tiguan plastic cars out of old plastic and giving them away. The Tiguan is so bland and inoffensive its not even funny. The VW area was pretty empty. heard some VW guy explaining to two others how well VW was doing and how they are the force to be reckoned with here. He must of just got his job.

The Suzuki/Hyundai/Mitusibshi areas were DEAD, I mean DEAD, not a SOUL there. What made it seem worse was all 3 were together. It was like a huge dead spot at the show.

The Genesis, hmmmm, didn't knock me out at all. It was on a stand so I could not sit inside but the exterior was rather bland. Interior seemed nicely done. I was hoping to really be blown away, I was explaining this car to my buds and they seemed to care less if this car had a V-8 or RWD.

"Dude its a Hyundai, it looks like a Camry"...

sigh.......

Old 04-27-08, 05:17 PM
LexFather

Maserati/Ferrari.

Closed off but beautiful cars. The Quattroporte might be my fav luxury sedan.It just looks classy and there simply are not many around. The 599 looks pretty good in person, it also seems very large for a Ferrari. The Flying Buttress is just too damn cool. The Maserati Coupe is a big coupe too, nicely done. I do think I prefer the previous model in the looks department.

Aston Martin

One of the stars there, a silver DBS was there. They called security as I jumped over the rope and jumped on the hood and hunched the car. Finally I calmed down and they let me go.

I instantly ran back and hunched the rear this time. They called security again

That car looks PERFECT, PERFECT, luxury and sport blended PERFECTLY. FABULOUS!! The Vantage and DB9 look ordinary in comparison (still beautiful though).

The Aston guy was cool, we chatted. The guy looked like he could be a price or something, spoke very well, looked like "money". My bud said "I love that car but and that is my taste but I have a Honda and a kool-aid budget (he's doing very well but a humble guy). The Aston guy responded "sir, you never know what will happen in life and you may have one of these someday".

(stands and applauds Aston Martin Rep).

He told us no one can sit in them b/c it would add wear b/c "someone sir, will buy these cars".

Old 04-27-08, 05:29 PM
LexFather

Mercedes Benz
Another place full of people. It was obvious at this point the status quo easily remains BMW/Benz/Lexus. The Panamara roof E63 was awesome, I sat in the back and GLASS GLASS GLASS. Awesome. What a purposeful car and it is aging so well!!
The S class has grown on me tons, I really now like the looks of it. It seems very very sporty for such a huge car with the AMG kit and wheels. People were clamoring to go inside it. They had a SL 63 on a stand, nice but seems busy. It does look more of a race car than a luxury car now.

The CL is a huge car, that rear window dropped show show big it is, that is a big rear window!

The C-class does nothing for me, looks like an Accord to me. Then the interior just seems okay and rather GM with the all black/grey interior. I liked the 1 series interior better. I was very very disappointed, as I really liked the looks of the old C-class.

I walked away and looked and people just love Benzes, a very aspirational brand it seems.

Audi

Right across was Audi, which was basically empty, even with the R8 dead smack in front. I love looking at this car, it looks like a 300k car IMO. FANTASTIC!!!

The A5/S5 looks good but not that sleek, too sedanish BUT it does look classy and expensive. I LOVE the seats and interior of the S5, it was white with red leather. YUUUMMMY. Seats also fold down and the trunk is HUGE. In comparison the G37 looks slicker and has the samesmallish rear seat but I don't think the seats drop and the trunk is a joke. Both are similar in size, the Audi is just better packaged. A lot of people around the Audi A5/S5 but seemingly no other Audis. The S8 was parked way in the back!!

Then they had a new A4 on a stand in bright light and there WAS NOT A SOUL checking it out. I agree with MP, this is a huge miss. Its bland and looks feminine with the way the rear window line lowers in the rear. The front can be put on any Audi. It has grown like the TSX in size.

I would almost say the A4 FWD I-4 and the TSX compete only with each other. The 3/C/IS are much smaller and are powered standard with 6 cylinders with RWD.

Old 04-27-08, 05:44 PM
LexFather

Lincoln.
I really liked their concept and the MKS (or whatever its called) has the same front of the concept. Interior seemed nice but it was on a stand so I could not sit inside. The rep said the paint is new, instead of metallic paint, it has "GLASS" flakes in it.
Let me tell you, he is correct b/c the paint on that car sparked so well it was nuts under the light!!!
The weird thing about it was when the car was not under direct light, my bud and 2 strangers thought the car looked dusty. We knew it was not since all the cars were being wiped constantly. Quite odd.

The Lincoln new SUV looks exactly like an Edge. The interior surprised me b/c it LOOKED soft but was hard as a rock.

Ford

The Ford Flex seemed lower than I thought (also on a stand) but pretty long. I like it, not the traditional looking minivan.

Dodge
I don't like how the Challenger looks. Retro Wrong. A lot of people like it though.
Car for drinkers
The Dodge Journey has not one but two compartments on the floor in the backseat that can be used as coolers. Talk about drinking and driving and you can put your stash away. lol I actually like it, good size, not too big and IMO the interior was okay for the price. In contrast the Nitro interior is horrible.

forgot

Jaguar

I am a Jag fan, even as they struggle. Finally saw a new XF, it doesn't look bad at all. Actually I like it. The front end didn't look to weird. My buds like the shiny wire mesh grill. Overhead a guy asking when was it available, the Jag lady said "for over a month now". The XF really could be an Aston Martin coupe if it had a different front end.

Honda
The S2000 CR just looks odd. Give me a stock S2000. The new Honda Fit looks like a mini-van. It was locked. The Accord interior felt IMO, just like the TSX interior. I really could not tell much of a difference.

G8
The best part of the interior was the trick hand brake that looks like its part of the console when depressed. Cool!! The interior needs serious help. Amazingly, its better than the Bonneville. Very good looking car. Leather was very cheap.

Old 04-27-08, 05:48 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by carbongs
very cool, thanks for the plug
In the 2nd part of the Auto Show, you can see Tony's car next to a Lambo. His car looks great there and there were people checking it out. Glad to see a member of Clublexus representing at the Autoshow
Attached Thumbnails 1SICKREVIEW: The 2008 Atlanta Auto Show, with pics-1sickpics-me-2008-autoshow-142.jpg  

Quick Reply: 1SICKREVIEW: The 2008 Atlanta Auto Show, with pics