Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why to people call small cars "Urban Cars"??

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-08, 11:05 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why to people call small cars "Urban Cars"??

Why is it that people (all auto journalists as well) seem to think that small car's like the Fit, Yaris, Scion's, ect.. are mainly for that urban lifestyle?

Last time I checked, these small cars are what the owner typically drives 365 days a year and in every environment. And they are perfect for everyday driving. Why are they "city runabouts" when they can go over 100 mph on the highway if you wanted?

To me, they are just as much suburban and interstate as any other size car.

Except better.
Old 04-26-08, 11:18 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

because they are small, and better suited to urban traffic and parking, saves more gas on local driving, perfect little runabout,
yes, they can drive at highway speed, but it is not comfortable for long distant,
I know, because I have a xB.
Old 04-26-08, 12:26 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by blacksc400
because they are small, and better suited to urban traffic and parking, saves more gas on local driving, perfect little runabout,
yes, they can drive at highway speed, but it is not comfortable for long distant,
I know, because I have a xB.

I understand why people relate small cars to tighter city conditions but why have that limiting perception of them?

I'd take a Honda Fit, for example, cross country way before taking an SUV!!! And still take 42 cubic ft. of cargo with me.
Old 04-26-08, 12:54 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

because they arent that comfortable for constant long trips when you go outside the cities??
Old 04-26-08, 02:52 PM
Initial B
Lead Lap

why are you asking a question that has an obvious answer? small cars are the easiest to live with in an urban environment. urban cars. catchy, ain't it?
Old 04-26-08, 05:15 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UberNoob
because they arent that comfortable for constant long trips when you go outside the cities??
How are they not comfortable? I often find small cars to be as roomy if not more roomy than larger cars because they are designed to maximize interior space more efficiently. For example, I've found the Yaris & Fit has more head room than a Suburban (the opposite of urban, lol). They are also less tiring to drive for long trips. Plus, if your taking a long trip, do you want to get 15 mpg or 40 mpg??
Old 04-26-08, 05:25 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by replica
why are you asking a question that has an obvious answer? small cars are the easiest to live with in an urban environment. urban cars. catchy, ain't it?
Yes, but your missing my point. Calling them "urban" cars puts a limiting perception on them. Who here has never seen subcompacts parked in suburban driveways? Of course we do because they serve as a great car no matter where you may live.

Americans better start becoming more accepting of small cars as gas goes to $4, $5, & $6 a gallon (and it will). We're still the only country in the world with this "bigger is better" mentality especially pertaining to cars.

I'm not a big car hater or anything but thinking a small car is only suitable if you live in NY city or Boston for example is ridiculous.
Old 04-26-08, 06:53 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JLSC4
How are they not comfortable? I often find small cars to be as roomy if not more roomy than larger cars because they are designed to maximize interior space more efficiently. For example, I've found the Yaris & Fit has more head room than a Suburban (the opposite of urban, lol). They are also less tiring to drive for long trips. Plus, if your taking a long trip, do you want to get 15 mpg or 40 mpg??
I'd rather be in a Suburban (well more like a minivan) on long highway stretches. The shorter wheelbase of a compact car just doesn't ride very well for long distances.
Old 04-26-08, 10:18 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because in American "Bigger is Better" and its going to take a while to change people's perception of things.
Old 04-26-08, 10:22 PM
LexFather

Terms are always coined when they can be. Urban cars. Cute-Utes. Hairdresser cars. Entry Level Luxury. etc

Why? Not sure. I believe the term "Urban cars" comes from Europe, where small cars are immensely popular in cities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_car

Old 04-26-08, 10:46 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Why not call it Econofunctionalittle?
Old 04-26-08, 10:49 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by JLSC4
What's the longest trip you've done? How about in one day?

Small cars SUCK for long journeys, I don't care how much damn headroom the Yaris has. It's still narrow, other passengers are so close to me I can smell what they ate for lunch or HAVE to smell what they're eating in the car.

AC/Heat in small cars is right in your face or on your feet, whereas in large vehicles the source of cold/hot air is further away allowing it to circulate more without being so directly on people.

Small cars 'fog up' more easily - not quite sure why, maybe because warmth from occupants on a cold day in a small space cause the condensation/fog?

Now I *have* a small car (Miata) which I don't mind driving around town and on a liesure trip now and then. But if I'm going on a LONG trip, I'll take my SUV. Sure it gets worse mileage but it's much quieter, smoother, and I can just 'spread out' and stretch out while on cruise control.
Old 04-26-08, 11:00 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
What's the longest trip you've done? How about in one day?

Small cars SUCK for long journeys, I don't care how much damn headroom the Yaris has. It's still narrow, other passengers are so close to me I can smell what they ate for lunch or HAVE to smell what they're eating in the car.

AC/Heat in small cars is right in your face or on your feet, whereas in large vehicles the source of cold/hot air is further away allowing it to circulate more without being so directly on people.

Small cars 'fog up' more easily - not quite sure why, maybe because warmth from occupants on a cold day in a small space cause the condensation/fog?

Now I *have* a small car (Miata) which I don't mind driving around town and on a liesure trip now and then. But if I'm going on a LONG trip, I'll take my SUV. Sure it gets worse mileage but it's much quieter, smoother, and I can just 'spread out' and stretch out while on cruise control.
Truth to that.

Plus....in case you cant find a vacancy in a motel (or cant afford it because of 18mpg at 75mph...lol), you can take down the 3rd row, and fold down the 2nd row in a Tahoe and sleep quite comfortably, if in a 'Burban you can leave the 2nd row alone.
Old 04-26-08, 11:04 PM
yusef
Lexus Champion

my dad has a crappy little 06 chevy aveo, bought it for driving to work. and we took that thing many times on trips from los angeles to san francisco, about an 7 hour drive. it was horrrrrrrrrrrrrible!!! after a while i felt claustrophobic, and the lack of room just was uncomfortable.

Especially compared to our landrover we usually take, which is just amazing...play ps2 in there, relax and chill.