Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2002 Toyota Rav 4 EV??

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-08, 08:09 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2002 Toyota Rav 4 EV??

HAs anyone ever seen one of these in person? Ive only heard of these on the internet and supposedly only about 1500 were made in TOTAL.

Im curious as to where I could find one because I would DEF buy this rig for the gas mileage and park my LS's.
Old 04-26-08, 08:29 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

From what i've heard...many of them have also been crushed (Like the EV1, and Electric Ford ranger.)
I do not believe they were allowed to be sold, rather; they were leased with no buyout option.

Go watch "Who Killed The Electric Car?"
Old 04-26-08, 10:12 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by litesoarer
From what i've heard...many of them have also been crushed (Like the EV1, and Electric Ford ranger.)
I do not believe they were allowed to be sold, rather; they were leased with no buyout option.

Crushed because the oil companies own those damn batteries now. Toyota was the only one who actually allowed for them to be sold. I bet they would run as much as an NSX on ebay though.
Old 04-26-08, 10:15 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw one in the UCI Staff Parking Lot.
Looks just like the regular Rav 4, but has some vinyl decal on it.
O yeah, Our class saw "Who Killed the Electric Car" in AP Environmental Science...so biased.
Old 04-26-08, 10:54 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

I'd seen a listing for one on ebay a while back. $60k+ hardly worth it unless you're really a die-hard conservationalist.
You'll never catch up to it's price w/gas savings, and the electric adapters once available in some parking lots have now been pulled mostly.

Regular Rav-4's get great mpg (a relative of mine with a '99 reports 25-26mpg in-town) with their 2.0L I4, and light weight (2900lbs curb)
Old 04-26-08, 11:35 PM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

i believe ive seen one as a fleet vehicle. nothing special. its really sad that that the oil companies are so...power hungry

Last edited by RXSF; 04-27-08 at 12:05 AM.
Old 04-26-08, 11:52 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Hmmm I could buy about 10 used civics for that kind dough. Id love to find one that an older man has and get it for DIRT as he wouldnt know much about it.
Old 04-27-08, 12:01 AM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Anyone who still has one would certainly know about them and their history.

That would be neat though!
Old 04-27-08, 06:59 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,635 Posts

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
Crushed because the oil companies own those damn batteries now.
So you're saying the oil companies prevented Toyota from continuing to offer them? Give me a break.
Old 04-27-08, 11:25 AM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
So you're saying the oil companies prevented Toyota from continuing to offer them? Give me a break.
Its because no one wanted to buy them.
Not to mention the Li-ion batteries where not developed for electric car usage yet.
Old 04-27-08, 01:35 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by litesoarer

Well, I guess you didn't bother to look at this thread that I started a few days ago:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=350558

There are pics of the RAV4 EV in that thread, and yes, a small number of them were available for sale in 2002 for an 8 month period. There are a few hundred of them still out there on the road today (mostly in California). Of Toyota, Honda, Nissan, GM, & Ford, Toyota was the ONLY company to actually sell their Electric Vehicles. The rest of them only made them available for lease. After the lease terms were up, they took them back, and yes, they pretty much had them all destroyed.
Old 04-27-08, 01:54 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Various pics of the RAV4 EV:

Battery Pack:

Under Hood:

Tom Hanks in his RAV4 EV:

Old 04-28-08, 06:09 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

No Im not saying that, but why offer an EV that only ranges 7 miles instead of 100 anyway??

Originally Posted by tuan9219
Its because no one wanted to buy them.
Not to mention the Li-ion batteries where not developed for electric car usage yet.
IT could have been that some people didnt want them, but im sure alot of people didnt hear about them. I didn't even know toyota had an electric Rav. The batteries were only ranging for about 100 miles or so if that is what you mean by that. As far as durability, they were supposed to last the average lifetime of a standard vehicle...which is close to 100,000 miles.

Well, I guess you didn't bother to look at this thread that I started a few days ago:

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles

There are pics of the RAV4 EV in that thread, and yes, a small number of them were available for sale in 2002 for an 8 month period. There are a few hundred of them still out there on the road today (mostly in California). Of Toyota, Honda, Nissan, GM, & Ford, Toyota was the ONLY company to actually sell their Electric Vehicles. The rest of them only made them available for lease. After the lease terms were up, they took them back, and yes, they pretty much had them all destroyed.
I actually completely missed that thread. I didnt notice it because it had been on another page, but I found it a couple days ago.
Old 04-28-08, 10:18 AM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

wow....from those pictures...

the old rav4 was hideous...lol
Old 04-28-08, 04:14 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

good luck buying one.....back from 2006...

1 ---

Used Toyota RAV4-EV Sells for $67,300 on eBay
1 May 2006

The RAV4-EV
A 2003 Toyota RAV4-EV auctioned on eBay went to the winning bidder for a price of $67,300.

Toyota began sales of the RAV4 Electric Vehicle (EV) to California retail customers in March 2002 after five years of leasing to utilities and other corporations that operate vehicle fleets. Toyota then ceased production of EV in 2003.

When the RAV4-EVs went on sale to the public in 2002, they carried a manufacturers suggested retail price (MSRP) of $42,000. However, a $9,000 incentive from the California Air Resources Board (CARB) and a $4,000 IRS credit could bring the price below $30,000.

Based on the first-generation RAV4 platform, the RAV4-EV combines a 50kW (67hp) electric motor that develops 190 Nm of torque with a 288V NiMH battery to yield a projected driving range of 85-100 miles per charge and an electronically controlled top speed of 78 mph.

(The sellers said that they pulled in 100 miles—90% on the freeway—per charge.)

The car on auction had 59,000 miles on it just had its battery pack replaced under warranty.

In its official statement on the cessation of production of the RAV4-EV, Toyota said:

Toyota believes that in order to have a positive environmental impact, a large number of consumers must embrace the technology. In order for this to happen, the vehicle must meet the lifestyle needs of, and be affordable to, the mass market. Although a significant marketing effort was undertaken for the RAV4-EV, we only sold about 300 vehicles a year.

Toyota was preparing in 2005 to crush the remaining RAV4-EVs coming off of lease, but yielded to a campaign launched by DontCrush.Com to keep the EVs on the road.

2----

Well, well, well. Who says you can't buy a Toyota RAV4 EV anymore? Earlier this month, a RAV4 EV sold on eBay for a paltry $46,000 (down from earlier RAV4 EV auctions that sold for over $60,000). Now there's another of these electric beauties on offer. This particular all-electric SUV is in Los Angeles, California and is currently bid up to abotu $16,000.

It seems every time an electric vehicle is for sale on eBay, the seller needs to explain why they're getting rid of this dream car (remember the Xebra from the transferred Air Force member?). This time 'round, the reason is the seller's job will require them to regularly drive outside the RAV4 EV's 100-mile range, so a new car is in order. The seller (who is also the vehicle's original owner, according to the description) has taken good care of the SUV, even going so far as to have it "professionally washed every week since acquisition". That's dedication.

Quick Reply: 2002 Toyota Rav 4 EV??