Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Spotted this cutie on the road

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-08, 08:09 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

I still think if you are going to consider a Smart, to consider a Mini.
Old 04-28-08, 08:31 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I rather get a Sciont tC. The tC is a small enough car as it is. If you have a hard time parking a Scion you can't park period. Cruple zones on a car is a good thind. It may completely total the car, but you will be safer as engergy is absorbed. With a car like the Smart Car being so small, there isn't much of a crumpe zone at all. The engergy has to be dissapated another way. There could be more reinforcement, but that engergy will still be tranfered somewhere else. Anyway, if I had to choose to get slammed by a Hummer driving a Smart car or a Honda Accord or Camry I'd take the later.
Old 04-28-08, 09:29 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

this is the only smart i'll rock

Old 04-28-08, 10:01 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only place in California where I would even consider a Smart is the Bay Area where parking is very limited. Sometimes small cars have problems fitting in tight spots and this is probably the only car that would squeeze into the spot where only a motorcycle would fit.

There are no MPG advantages and it only sits two. Mini Copper FTW.
Old 04-28-08, 10:10 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by yusef
One of my teachers/technicians that i was talkin to made a very good point.

He was saying why would you get a small deathtrap car like this, when you can get a roomier honda or toyota that gets the same gas mileage?

and i agree with him, i would never buy one of these because of the fact that it looks extremely unsafe, and it probably is.

im guessing it has to do with the looks? even though imo it doesnt look that good. idk, maybe someone can explain.
You saved me the trouble from saying all that

I feel bad for the first person to get into a nasty wreck with one; but the moment it happens; that company won't exist anymore. Those things and the other related joke-of-a-vehicle things that some little backyard companies come up with are a deathtrap. There's a REASON modern cars weigh as much as they do, children.
Old 04-28-08, 05:33 PM
valgs350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bean

I feel bad for the first person to get into a nasty wreck with one; but the moment it happens; that company won't exist anymore. Those things and the other related joke-of-a-vehicle things that some little backyard companies come up with are a deathtrap. There's a REASON modern cars weigh as much as they do, children.
LOL...

There is a reason they have sold in Europe since 1998 and some countries like Spain and France are flooded with them, there was a story about a guy in France going on the motor-way and bam got hit by a huge truck, the truck didn't notice he hit the smart until he got to his destination but the guy in the smart walked away. 4 Star Crash test but I think if you hit a brick wall your dead but if you hit a car or truck your fine because the smarts tridion saftey cell, which enacts the other car or trucks crumple zone and its proven, there have been accidents in Europe and people have walked away!!!!

Remember when Honda first came to America people thought it was junk and a deathtrap also but look now....

I also think the smart is only for city driving or running errands!!!

It would be a neat toy to have!

Last edited by valgs350; 04-28-08 at 05:37 PM.
Old 04-28-08, 06:24 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

I do not get the price at all less than $20,000 I know of someone that paid $30,000 for it as a Mercedes Benz Passion now I also see they have one as a Smart Car both are this luminescent Green. I could have bought one quite awhile back at this crazy price. Now it is legal to dump them in America. The original ones were getting excellent MPG but they were diesels now they are gas guzzlers. A friend of ours came back from Italy where the kids drive them with a 2 cylinder engine.
I questioned the Smart people at the car show about an all electric and was told several more years I politely told them to go up to the mezzanine area where http://www.hybridtechnologies.com/ has them available I got this you are crazy look about to call me a liar but not saying it out. I would consider this at its price.
Old 05-04-08, 07:13 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by yusef
One of my teachers/technicians that i was talkin to made a very good point.

He was saying why would you get a small deathtrap car like this, when you can get a roomier honda or toyota that gets the same gas mileage?

and i agree with him, i would never buy one of these because of the fact that it looks extremely unsafe, and it probably is.

im guessing it has to do with the looks? even though imo it doesnt look that good. idk, maybe someone can explain.
Wow that has got to be the most uninformed post I've read on CL. Even morso than those for the Prius!

Sure it's roomier. Does your Yaris/Fit come with Brake Assist? Traction Control? Stability control? TPMS? What about heated seats? heated mirrors? leather? didn't think so. What about a convertible version?

I don't know why people think one car is a one-car-do-all. Maybe that's why people buy SUVs "just in case". Most people have more than one car you know. If you have 4 people in the house, you don't need two 7-passenger SUVs. One is enough, get a second commuter car. Use the SUV for Home Depot etc.

Remember small != unsafe. What about the Chinese SUV? It's an SUV so it must be safe right?

http://truthaboutsmart.co.uk

Originally Posted by tfz_hebe89
seems easy to park that little cutie isn't it?? But you know what.. THIS CAR even HAS PARKING SENSORS!! LOOK AT THE REAR BUMPER. lol bigger cars nowadays need to make this standard I guess..sigh
Those aren't parking sensors. They're tow hook covers. Like the one for the front of your car... but at the back instead.

Originally Posted by knihc2008
Those aren't parking sensors; they are tabs to remove the plastic body panels. The colored pieces of this car are interchangeable.
Those aren't parking sensors. They're tow hook covers. Like the one for the front of your car... but at the back instead.

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Yaris gets better gas mileage than one of these.
No it doesn't. At least not in Canada . In Canada, it's the 3rd most fuel efficient car after the Prius and Civic Hybrid.

Originally Posted by Lexmex
I still think if you are going to consider a Smart, to consider a Mini.
MINI is more expensive though and still uses premium fuel.

http://truthaboutsmart.co.uk. See the safety bit.
Old 05-04-08, 07:15 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bean

That's because everyone wants power everything and wants it for cheap. What's cheaper, steel or aluminium?

Now you know why a Caliber R/T weighs MORE than a 2002 Camry XLE 4 cylinder. Heck, an automatic TSX weighs more and it's a smaller car than the Camry.
Old 05-04-08, 07:40 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by audi2nr
there are a TON of these in the seattle area, the first ones i saw here were from BC now we have like 1 or 2 dealers in the area. i also saw a MB b200 it had canadian plates, it looked pretty cool i think the a3 looks better though.
yup yup, we've had both the fortwo and the b-klasse for a little over a year now (correct me if i'm wrong guys) ... i see quite a few if each

i wouldn't have one but their road presence doesn't offend me ... that said, shoulder checking has gotten more important because the fortwo can completely fit into even the smallest blind spot
Old 05-04-08, 07:48 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Faymester
yup yup, we've had both the fortwo and the b-klasse for a little over a year now (correct me if i'm wrong guys) ...
Quite a bit longer B-Class launched in Canada since October 2005, Smart-fortwo since late 2004
Old 05-04-08, 09:54 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Quite a bit longer B-Class launched in Canada since October 2005, Smart-fortwo since late 2004
mmm yes we are in 2008 now ... it seems like a lot shorter time than that, but then again my university years seem to all be mushing together
Old 05-05-08, 12:31 AM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

hmm my dad wants one of these for my sis
Old 05-05-08, 04:20 AM
Macgyver
Lead Lap

I see them pretty often in my area.
Old 05-05-08, 09:13 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by VAL678
LOL...

There is a reason they have sold in Europe since 1998 and some countries like Spain and France are flooded with them, there was a story about a guy in France going on the motor-way and bam got hit by a huge truck, the truck didn't notice he hit the smart until he got to his destination but the guy in the smart walked away. 4 Star Crash test but I think if you hit a brick wall your dead but if you hit a car or truck your fine because the smarts tridion saftey cell, which enacts the other car or trucks crumple zone and its proven, there have been accidents in Europe and people have walked away!!!!

Remember when Honda first came to America people thought it was junk and a deathtrap also but look now....

I also think the smart is only for city driving or running errands!!!

It would be a neat toy to have!
Europes roads and driving conditions are completely different. You don't have H2s and Escalades running around with idiots on their cell phones.

Thats cool about the crash tests and thats cool people survived. But you can't beat physics, the car is small; if it gets creamed by a larger vehicle; the energy has to go somewhere... there's not enough body in the car to absorb it.

There's nothing wrong with small cars; but this is a bit too much.

Quick Reply: Spotted this cutie on the road