Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Spotted this cutie on the road

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-08, 03:41 AM
TecnoSmurf
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://gaylife.about.com/od/gayprodu...cars2008_5.htm
This has to take my top pick for the you know whatest car for a guy to drive. Then a VW bug, then a mini.

They HAD good sales in Europe for a year, now no one wants one. That's why there trying to sell them to us.

Top gear picked it as one of the worst handling cars of the year.
Old 06-10-08, 04:07 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tfz_hebe89
price tag I believe is $12000ish here in the US. that's base model though. adding optiions will get you to $14k ish, then convertible adds a few thousands more. Not worth it IMO, honda fit is more worth it for $14/15k ish.
The price on the window sticker of the Smart car at the Ft. Lauderdale auto show was 18k!! That's a bit steep.
Old 06-10-08, 04:12 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

spotted this fortwo 3 years ago in tokyo

sorry for the crappy pics, cell phone camera.
Old 06-10-08, 04:13 AM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IS350jet
The price on the window sticker of the Smart car at the Ft. Lauderdale auto show was 18k!! That's a bit steep.
$18,000 is the Cabriolet convertible. I still like it! Better yet I will take mine in electric. http://www.hybridtechnologies.com/products/cars/dash
Old 06-10-08, 07:30 AM
2010mRXsh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TecnoSmurf
This has to take my top pick for the you know whatest car for a guy to drive. Then a VW bug, then a mini.
Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. You're certainly entitled to an opinion, but why don't you explain what you mean, more specifically? Can you tell me what your top picks are for a woman to drive? (rhetorical)

IRT others...

Not all cars are designed for safety--really.
Not all cars are designed for performance.

The idea of the smart was something different. That's it. Everything else came after. This is their audience. This is why you won't find good fuel economy (relatively).

It's been around for quite a long time really, so the safety thing has been tested. Don't tell me they don't have trucks in Europe, or Canada.

Mind you, they made the smart fortwo BIGGER for the US. It's a little bigger, and has even more safety built in to meet US standards.

And they did not intend this car to be fuel efficient, so figure that. When they first decided to bring this thing in, gas was probably like $2.00 a gallon.

This is a car you get, or you don't. It's cars, people will disagree.

Thanks btw for that picture of the crossblade, Coco-bun. I don't think there's any pictures of it on the internet. At least not Wikipedia. I've been curious for years what that looked like.

And what is with that CLOTH on the back of the first photo posted???

I like this car, but I also like the Ariel Atom. They're both different. Although the latter will get you more slacked jaws.

I'll probably have to say this more than once, and it's probably been said better, but:

Size of ego / brass is often inversely proportional to size image of car.

I wish people would get over their sexist presuppositions about who can and can't drive one or another car, and that cars should be made for ego challenged.

Anyone who's confident about themselves doesn't care what other people think. And doesn't need to buy a car to feel loved / more powerful, etc.

What I'd like to have seen though, was that smart released the sports car they had in Europe, as their first model. But it's far more impractical.

But it would have been a great challenge: do you have the courage to drive a sports car smaller than a Miata???
Old 06-10-08, 02:42 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
You find me a new convertible for $18k with leather, heated seats, heated mirrors and a softtop that can be opened in any position (like a sunroof) and at ANY speed.

That said, a $3,000 pricetag for a convertible over the coupé is a bit steep. It's $3k no matter what currency. There's a Cdn$3,000 difference here. There's a AU$3,000 down south.