Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

German Classic Car Show (1)

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-08, 03:45 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default German Classic Car Show (1)

Hi all,

Finally managed to resize and upload the first batch of photos. I googled up the name of the town this event took place in: Mühldorf am Inn, a lovely little place about 100 km east of Munich.

All I can say is that Germans really know how to make cars shows great. For one, there were many beautiful and rare classics at this show, some of which I have never even heard off. Second, the food and beer was excellent. I stuffed myself full of Bavarian herb chicken and gulped down two liters of the local beer (forgot the name). Third, everyone here was cheerfully happy, open to questions and very passionate about their cars and those of others. People of all ages were here. Young teenagers and couples, the middle aged and the old, many of whom probably have fond memories of some of the cars on display.

So here are some of the first shots I took. A lovely Audi Quattro - a legendary performance and rally car. This vehicle established Audi as a worthy competitor in the sport of rallying and it had one of the most powerful 5-cylinder engines of the period. A true classic.

I am not too good with these older European cars but this was clearly an Opel (according to the badge!). A Kadett or Olympia perhaps? I'm afraid I don't know.

Call me crazy, but seeing this lovely Volkswagen bus in such perfect condition and with that lovely color scheme really made me want one. I think it would be fun to cruise around Europe in this classic. Man, I want one! LOL

BMW 502 I believe. Also known as "Baroque Angel" in Germany.

Another BMW 502. The 502 was the V8 variant while the 501 was the 6-cylinder model.

Beautiful Volkswagen Karmann Ghia's (there are two of them in the shot).
Old 04-27-08, 03:45 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Here's another Audi Quattro. Lovely machine.

A Mercedes 190SL, the little brother to the legendary 300SL Gullwing and Roadster.

I am sure everyone has heard of the revolutionary NSU Ro-80, right? One of the most advanced German cars of the late 1960s with a rotary engine. The Volkswagen K70L seen here shared the same platform I believe, hence the similar styling.

At first glance this car looks like a Mercedes 190SL, but there are a few visual changes that confuse you. Thankfully I managed to speak with the owner. Guys, get this! This car is a one-of-a-kind Daimler-Benz 190SL "Prototype". The owner even had the papers to prove it! According to him, Benz was experimenting with the design of the car by seeing how the headlights of the successor model would look on the 190SL. Essentially this car was used to style the next generation SL of the 1960s. Pretty intense, eh?

Volkswagen 1600L. Don't know much about these but they look similar to the infamous Karmann Ghia.

And look what showed up at the show! A Chevrolet Caprice Classic estate! America says hi!

Old 04-27-08, 03:46 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Opel Diplomat. These cars used Chevrolet 5.7-l V8's I believe.

A BMW 600. These "bubble cars" provided affordable and zippy transportation for post-World War II Germany and also saved BMW from financial ruin as the 502 and 503 cars they developed didn't cover R&D expenditures.

What the Ford Mustang was to the American youth of the '60s, the Ford Capri was the European youth of the late '60s, '70s and '80s: an affordable sports car.

My jaw dropped when I saw this beauty queen make an entrance. After some googling, I think I've narrowed it down to a "Horch 5 Liter Typ 853A". Horch was a German luxury brand (later swallowed up by Auto Union which eventually became Audi). Incidentally, the word "horch" in German means "listen" (a command: "Horch mal! / You listen!"). In the 1930s Horch, Maybach and Daimler-Benz were the finest luxury products Germany exported. Horch was a direct competitor to Maybach while Daimler-Benz had a few models up in the same class as these lovely things. Beautiful car.

Andre drove us here in his Mercedes 350SE, a car that looks exactly like this one. Beautiful S class. Like I said, I love '70s Benzes.
Old 04-27-08, 03:46 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

I took a few shots of this beautiful Mercedes SLC coupe because I adore Benzes from the 1970s. The owner was very friendly and we talked about how this car is a "forgotten classic" with people preferring the SL of the same time period to this. What a shame, especially since I find this car absolutely stunning.

The front door of a BMW Isetta, for sale at the "Teilemarkt" (spare parts market - literal translation).

Alfa Romeo 2000 GT - say what you want about their quality, but their cars just radiate character, style and emotions.

Citroen Traction Avant, first mass-produced FWD car in the world. The car was developed and produced in the 1930s and remained in production until the late 1950s I believe. A true classic. The chrome on the grille hints that this is a 6-cylinder model.

A Mercedes W108 S class. I know this because a distant relative back in the US has a 300SEL 6.3! Hopefully I can take some pictures of that baby when I go back home.
Old 04-27-08, 03:47 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Another W108 S class.

Mercedes "Fintail".

For some reason I found this bland Fiat 127 to be the cutest little thing, hence the three snapshots!

Ford Ranger. There were going to be tons of American cars that would eventually show up for the show, stay tuned!

BMW 1802 - I gotta say, orange looks great on it!

These were never really popular in the US but in Europe the "-8" as they're called were the first Mercedes' cars to break the one million sales barrier. Where I live in Stuttgart, I still see tons of them around. Some of them are still in use as taxis!

Part 2 is hopefully coming up tonight. Stay tuned!

Hope you liked the pictures and hopefully my smart a$$ commentary didn't bore you!

PS: Is there any way to disable the "10 pics per post" limit? It's really annoying...
Old 04-27-08, 03:07 PM
yusef
Lexus Champion

wow that was great, loved the pics especially with the knowledge you have on them. very enjoyable and informative.

Wish i couldve been there, those cars looks amazing
Old 04-27-08, 03:12 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Some very nice cars there.
Old 04-28-08, 11:54 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Only two replies? Wow, I thought people wanted to see this!

It's just a lot of work uploading the shots and resizing them etc...
Old 04-28-08, 12:51 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

youre not the only one that likes the VW Bus

thanks for sharing the pics, those sure are beautiful cars!
Old 04-29-08, 07:59 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
youre not the only one that likes the VW Bus
Thank God!

t
Originally Posted by Coco-bun
hanks for sharing the pics, those sure are beautiful cars!
Sure, no problem. Part 2 is coming up soon!