Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2008 BMW M3 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-08, 11:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by rai
I agree, I drive my S2000 year round with a set of winter performance tires and wil ldo so with my M3. I will have the Legacy for when it's snowing and won't drive my M3 as much in bad conditions but won't be scared of the rain or slight snow. Also, they clear the roads fairly well hers so there is rarely more than a couple of inches.
True, this area is not as bad as places farther north and west for snow, and the the roads usually don't stay snow-covered very long.

I did consider getting an AWD car like the S5 or RS4 but in the end I went with the RWD (imo more fun) over the safer but less fun of awd.
If you have a Legacy (an excellent car for snow), I agree.....why buy an Audi Quattro? It would be a waste of money.
Old 04-28-08, 12:46 PM
rai
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

couple of pics of the cloth. Not the most attractive but likely most people want leather in a $70K car.

Old 04-28-08, 02:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks. Looks like cloth cushions with leather bolsters.

I know this may sound like heresy to some, but with many cars, I'd rather have cloth than leather, for several reasons. I don't care for the leather in many American and German-designed cars, and leather, in general, is ice-cold in the winter (until the seat heaters kick in), and hot in the summer. Depending on the seat design, leather sometimes lets you slide all around the seat as well. But the leather in Jaguars and some Lexus models is SO nice it is hard to resist it.

Some all-leather seats use a rough, suede leather called Alcantra on the cushions to increase seat friction and grip.
Old 04-29-08, 12:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

If anyone on CL has one of those rare Twin-Clutch M3's, by all means, let us know how it drives with that transmission.
Old 04-30-08, 05:55 PM
rai
Lead Lap

my M3 is in production, should get here (?) in about 4-6 weeks. I'll give a review when I get the car will be the first time I have driven the DCT.

The problem is the DCT is as you say rare and the few they got were not around to demo and most people have ordered the DCT sight unseen which is scary. But so far the reviews are all good.

I ordered ~35 days ago and the car could be here in another ~35 days so total of ~10 weeks for my car.

Of course the competition is very strong as you point out the IS-F and C63 not to mention it's own sibling the 335i (etc. and I think people will be looking at Corvettes, 911, S5, GTR etc.. I mean with a price range close to $70K there are many nice cars to think about).

--

these are uncertain times with the economy and high oil/gas prices, but I wanted to get something nice, fun, fast and at the same time more comfortable and practical (than my S2000) and I am at an age where I see as much time behind me as in front. Meaning I wanted to get it while I'm still young enough to enjoy. As they say youth is wasted on the young. ANd live some now for tomorrow you never know.

I'll dislike selling my S2000 but the M3 will hopefully ease the parting.

Last edited by rai; 04-30-08 at 06:14 PM.
Old 05-01-08, 07:27 PM
LexFather

Thanks again MIke. I much prefer the M3 with the 19s just for looks, even if the ride gets worse.

Old 05-01-08, 07:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Thanks again MIke. I much prefer the M3 with the 19s just for looks, even if the ride gets worse.
Well, that's the beauty of BMW chassis engineering. The M3's chassis can produce track-worthy handling with a ride that, while stiff, doesn't bounce you around anywhere near as much as the Lexus IS-F or a Corvette Z06.
Old 05-02-08, 06:15 AM
rai
Lead Lap

Mike,

since you brought it up, have you driven the C6 coupe or Z06? How do they compare to the M3? meaning the M3 costs about the same as the Z06 and the Base C6 could be a real value at ~$20K less.

Of course the Vettes should be better performance cars but what about daily driving and comfort?

Last edited by rai; 05-02-08 at 06:53 AM.
Old 05-02-08, 06:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rai
Mike,

since you brought it up, have you driven the C6 coupe or Z06? How do they compare to the M3? meaning the M3 costs about the same as the Z06 and the Base C6 could be a real value at ~$20K less.

I did a full C6 review back in December of 2005, but my reviews back then were not as detailed or comprehansive as they are now. Also sampled a Z06 but not long enough for a major write-up.

The manual-transmission C6 I drove would probably outrun the M3 in a straight line....it had some 400 ft-lbs of torque to the M3's 295, and was in a smaller, lighter, fiberglass-body package. The M3's suspension, though, is superb, and it seemed to handle as well or better than the 'Vette, which of course sits lower and has a lower center of gravity but is not as well engineered. That low Corvette stance also makes getting in and out difficult for tall people.
Old 05-14-08, 06:06 AM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Yet another awesome review!

Chris Bangle....haven't heard that name mentioned in awhile now.
Old 05-14-08, 07:55 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I did a full C6 review back in December of 2005, but my reviews back then were not as detailed or comprehansive as they are now. Also sampled a Z06 but not long enough for a major write-up.

The manual-transmission C6 I drove would probably outrun the M3 in a straight line....it had some 400 ft-lbs of torque to the M3's 295, and was in a smaller, lighter, fiberglass-body package. The M3's suspension, though, is superb, and it seemed to handle as well or better than the 'Vette, which of course sits lower and has a lower center of gravity but is not as well engineered. That low Corvette stance also makes getting in and out difficult for tall people.
I think I'd take the vette -- its a super bargain especially with the new exhaust = +6hp & some wonderful sounds!

good reliability, cheap to maintain, cheap to fix (cheap parts), bargain price (base can be purchased for $39999 - see corvetteforum.org).
Old 05-14-08, 10:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AsianGirl007
Yet another awesome review!

Chris Bangle....haven't heard that name mentioned in awhile now.
Thanks, Liz.

Bangle didn't mess up the 3-series as much as some other new Bimmers....especially the 7-series. The 3-series is BMW's bread-and-butter car in the American market, and company officials were determined that they weren't going to put that model at risk and take as much criticism. The company also decided (a sensible move, IMO), to make some 3-series models available without I-Drive, although the controls on the non-I-Drive 3 models are almost as complex as the I-Drive ones themselves.