Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2008 BMW M3 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-08, 01:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Review: 2008 BMW M3 Coupe

By widespread CL request, a review of the 2008 BMW M3 Coupe

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...e/default.aspx

In a Nutshell: The King of small, RWD sports sedans/coupes, but there are good lower-priced alternatives.

I received a number of requests for a new M3 review, which is not surprising, considering the widespread interest at CL this car generates. So, after the Lexus IS-F, Pontiac G8 GT, and Mercedes E63 AMG (cars that I also got a lot of requests for), I gave the M3 review top priority. I did not know how long it would take to find unsold ones that were not already spoken for, or if test-drives would be allowed (demand for this car, of course, is high and supplies low). But luck hit.....today, a local BMW shop had 3 unsold ones...a blue coupe, a black coupe, and a black sedan. All had 6-speed manuals.....according to the literature, no automatic or automated manual is currently offered. So, it was into my Outback and down to the BMW shop before they were sold.

It appeared to be an honest BMW shop.....none of the M3s in stock sported a second sticker with the often-reported large dealer markups. Figuring that most M enthusiasts would probably want not only the 6-speed stick but the 2-door coupe body syle as well, I chose the blue coupe for the review. It was a smart-looking car with a carbon-fiber roof.....more on that below.

Quality control on the car I reviewed left a few things to be desired. Someone at the M plant at Regensberg, Germany apparantly forgot to install the hinges and hardware for the rear-seat center arm rest. When I pulled it down to check its operation, instead of swiveling down normally, it fell completely out of the rectangle-shaped hole and plopped down on the seat, dangling by a leather strap. The last time I saw that happen was on a new 1970 Dodge Monaco in the showroom (yes, I was looking at new cars even back then, in my teens, though I didn't get many chances for test-drives). Not only was the rear-seat hardware not installed on this car, but I had a devil of a time getting the power drivers' seat controls to work properly too. The switches would cut in and out...they would work one minute and not the next. Sometimes they would work if you pushed the switches firmly all the way as hard as you could, sometimes not at all, sometimes normally, and sometimes intermittently. It looked to me like a defective relay or connection. A service rep came out, tried all the switches several times himself, and just scratched his head. Not really surprising, though....BMWs and other German cars, of course, have a reputation for defective electronics. Maybe just par for the course.....though, to be fair, this is the first new BMW I've actually driven right off the dealership lot with an electrical problem that noticeable.

The M3 has long been a car worshipped by the automotive press, and has developed a cult-like following both in and out of the press. It is a car that invites aggressive driving by its very nature. I, of course, am responsible (I've never damaged or wrecked any car I've reviewed), but, of course, I can fling a car around a little if/when I need to, particularly to test its handling. The dealership was more than happy to allow a reasonable-length test-drive, but requested a 4500-5000 RPM limit, to which I, of course, agreed.....I never exceed that with a new engine anyway. (This particular engine, BTW, redlines at a Honda VTEC-like 8400, just past its peak 414 HP at 8300).

The M3, in the U.S. market, is the top-of-the-line version of the 3-series lineup, which includes a number of trim levels, engines/transmissions, drivelines, and body styles ranging from coupe to sedan to convertible. M3s are offered, however, with only one engine (a 4.0L V8), one transmission (a 6-speed manual), two body styles (coupe and sedan), and one set of drive wheels (rear). No xi all-wheel drive, convertible, or in-line 6 version is offered as with the rest of the 3-series. This car is marketed to a rather narrow niche of drivers; those who would not particularly want or care about the features on other 3-series products (I, for example, would much rather have a 335i than an M3 for a daily driver, and so am not in the M's natural constituency). Yet, as I felt I was fair and unbalanced in the 335i's write-up, so shall I also be fair and unbalanced in the M3's write-up.

And, with that, let's get to the car itself......

Model Reviewed: 2008 BMW M3 Coupe

Base Price: $56,500

Major Options:

Interlagos Blue Metallic Paint: $475

Cold Weather Package: $750

Technology Package: $3250

19" Wheels/Performance tires: $1200

Park Distance Control $350

IPod/USB: $400

HD Radio: $350

Satellite Radio: $595

Enhanced Premium Sound: $1900

Destination/Freight: $775

Federal Gas-Guzzler Tax: $1300 (EPA 14/20 mileage ratings)

List Price as Reviewed: $69,475

Exterior Color: Interlagos Blue Metallic

Interior: Silver Novillo Leather

Drivetrain: RWD, Longitudionally-mounted, 4.0L VANOS 32-valve V8, 414 HP @ 8300 RPM, Torque 295 Ft-lbs. @ 3900 RPM,
6-Speed manual transmission

PLUSSES:

Powerhouse engine....but HP well exceeds torque.

Exhaust note noisy but nice-sounding.

Track-worthy handling.

Adjustable suspension damping.....but with the complex I-Drive.

Ride not as harsh as expected.

Superlative, firm-feel, Brembo brakes.

Handsome, subdued body styling doesn't invite traffic cops.

Excellent body hardware and trim.

Cleverly designed underhood strut-tower brace doesn't block engine access.

Nice-looking, classy, gray carbon-fiber roof panel.

Excellent, classy, steering wheel.

Form-fitting, ultra-comfortable front seats.

NINE interior leather trim options offered.

Nicely-finished trunk with light gray carpet.

Rear seats fold for added cargo space.

Excellent dash gauges.

Nice stereo sound quality.....but hard to adjust with I-Drive.

Coupe rear seat OK for small/medium-sized adults.

Free factory maintenance during warranty period.

Simple, no-nonsense interior design and controls except for I-Drive.

Black/silver interior quite attractive even without wood trim.

MINUSES:

Iffy quality control.

Questionable electronics.

High priced...but not as high as Mercedes AMG models.

Some dealerships prone to gouging and price markups.

Sensitive clutch.

Vague, notchy shift linkage takes getting used to.

Heavier, less tactile steering feel than other BMWs.

Less torque at low RPM's than its less-expensive brother 335i.

Overly complex I-Drive system.

Dry-pavement tires not suited to wet/slick surfaces.

No underhood insulation pad.

Extra charge for metallic paint.

Paint colors not particularly sporty.

Rough-feeling interior leather.

Tight fit underhood, but with some access.

Fix-a-Flat bottle instead of a spare tire.

Standard drivetrain warranty (like Mercedes) only 4 years/50,000 miles.

Thin plastic steering column stalks.

Fairly low ground clearance from lower-body skirts, with ride height not adjustable.

No oil dipstick (?)

Twin outside mirrors too small.

Steering wheel buttons poorly labeled.

EXTERIOR:

Walking up to this car, there are few surprises to it compared to lesser 3-series coupes. And, even then, BMW did not rework the present, Chris Bangle 3-series as much as they did the larger Chris Bangle 5 and 7-series.....BMW, with their bread-and-butter 3-series (easily their top sellers in the American market), did not want to risk the negative response that the earlier 7 and 5-series got in the automotive press. Though the press gave the new 5 and 7-series great raves for their road manners and powertrains, the styling was a different matter. I-Drive, another feature the auto press didn't like (I don't, either) was made optional in the other 3-series models, but is standard in the M3 (at least that's what the BMW people said).....more on that below.

Anyhow, the new 3-series, though definitely showing signs of the Bangle-type styling, was not restyled as much as its larger brothers. This, to some extent, was also passed down (or should I say up?) to the new M3. The M3 more or less parrots the styling of its lesser 3-series cousins, but has noticeably different wheels/tires, larger grile openings under the front bumper, small and subdued lower body skirts, a couple of tricolored M3 badges, and a small "power bulge" on the hood that has little if anything, to do with actual engine power as the car is not turbocharged. The small lower-body skirts lower ground clearance a little but not severely.....still, without an AMG-style power-system for raising suspension/ride height, a little more care must be taken over speed bumps and ramps than with other 3-series. Unlike other "Boy Racer" sport sedans like the Mitsubishi Evo and Subaru STi, the M3, with the exception of the small hood bulge, is devoid of spoilers, big air dams, wings, and other garish devices that, at most normal, non-racing speeds, actually accomplish little but be circus-like and attract traffic cops.

The exterior sheet metal, typical of BMW, is solid, well-crafted, and the doors, hood, and trunk lid all open and shut solidly....the doors, a little more so on the sedan than the coupe. The exterior paint job (the blue metallic on my test car, like on most German cars, was an extra-cost option) was done fairly well, but not as well as the Mercedes AMG I looked at several days ago (and Mercedes, in a rare break from German tradition, doesn't charge extra for metallic paint on the AMG models). Unlike the AMG, the M3 shows a little orange peel, and the glossiness, while good, is not up to Toyota/Lexus levels. As the M cars are BMW's sportiest models, I would have expected a little more eye-opening colors, but the color palate for the M3 is virtually the same as for the rest of the 3-series. Several years ago, the M3 had a gorgeous extra-bright medium blue that really stood out (I forget what it ws called). That has apparantly been dropped. But, of course, if the goal is to make what what is called a "sleeper" (a performance car that looks like a regular family car) I guess you don't want circus colors.

All of the exterior hardware, in the BMW tradition, is solid, durable, well-finished, and well-attached, although I wasn't impressed with the two outside mirrors....the hardware and attachment is solid, but they are both too small for my tastes. This may (?) be an attempt to "aero" up the car and lower wind resistance, but the mirrors already have large cutouts for air to pass through between the mirror housing and the car's body. Both mirrors power-swivel back flush with the body if desired. I especially liked the smart-looking, classy carbon-fiber roof panel that takes the place of traditional sheet metal or a sunroof. BMW says this was done to keep weight down and to lower the center of gravity....for once, I actually believe the marketers.

I basically liked the design of the alloy wheels, which had a 10-spoke, concave, "turbine-blade" effect, but I would have prefered something like the superb Mag-style 5-spokes from the Pontiac G8 GT, Mercedes E63, or even from BMW's own Sport-Package equipped 328i/335i. They carried 19-inch, ultra low profile/high-performance 245/35 Michelin Pilot Sport tires up front and 265/35s in the rear. The literature warns that these tires are not recommend for slick roads, and it means what it says.......one look at them would physically confirm that. I wouldn't want these tires even in rain, much less snow and ice. Their surfaces have only very minimal tread grooves for channeling water...most of the surfaces are smooth, slick-like rubber.....something you would want on a smooth, dry track instead of an all-weather surface. The small tread depth and soft rubber compound for maximum dry-weather grip don't bode well for long life either......expect to fork over the cash for a new set every 10,000-15,000 miles or so, unless you are very easy on them (which, of course, the average M3 owner isn't). You have to diligently avoid potholes, too, as much as possible,
because the ultra-low profiles don't give the alloy wheels much protection from impact damage. And if you think these tires are expensive to replace, just wait till you see what BMW alloy wheels cost.

So, yes, these tires do have some inconvienences. But, BOY, do they grip and brake on the right surface...and I mean GRIP.....more on that below.

UNDERHOOD:

Open the typically solid, well-constructed BMW hood, and two nice gas struts hold it up instead of a cheap prop rod.....after all, this is a $70,000 car. Untypical of a $70,000 car, though, is the bare underhood metal with no insulation pad....last time I checked, $12,000 entry-level Kia and Hyundai econoboxes had one. The mass-produced 4.0L V8 (to my knowledge, it is not hand-built like the Mercedes AMG engines) fits in snugly, has the usual big plastic top-engine cover, but allows top access to several components on the left side (to your left) of the engine block. As the M3 is designed for maximum chassis rigidity for handling, a cleverly designed V-shaped metal brace runs behind the engine block and connects the two strut towers together. Many sports/performance-oriented vehicles, of course, have a tower brace, but this is the first time I've seen one designed like this. It makes the tight engine component access, which is already difficult in vehicles of this type, just a little easier for the guys in the service bays. Unnoticeable under the plastic covers and hardware (but in the literature) are EIGHT individual fuel injection/throttle valve systems...one for each cylinder. This is one of the most advanced and high-tech V8 engines on the planet. But....where is the oil dipstick? I didn't see one. Like with the Mercedes AMG powerplants, we apparantly are to trust the lifeblood of this expensive piece of equipment to a couple of oil sensors. Go figure.

INTERIOR:

The M3's interior, like that of the rest of the 3-series, is less differentiated from the 5-series than that of the exterior...the similiarity is much closer inside. BMW offers NINE different leather combinations for the M3 (no cloth)...I won't list them all here, and four different trim patterns......Titanium, Brushed-Aluminum, Carbon-Fiber (actually Carbon Leather), and Sycamore Wood. My car had the Silver Leather seats with the Brushed-Aluminum trim....a pleasant combination, IMO, that did not look cheap like some poorly-done silver interior surfaces. Actually, it was somewhat of a two-tone...the silver/light gray seats mixed in with some black trim in the rest of the interior. The dealership had an all-black leather interior M3 sedan in the showroom....like with other sport sedans I recently reviewed, I thought the black leather interior was too dull and had too much black. Like some other BMW leather packages, though, I didn't particularly like the texture and feel of the leather...it was grainy, dull, and did not have the smoothness and softness that Lexus and Jaguar leather does.

The front seats were supremely comfortable, once I finally got the defective power-seat controls to put me in the position I wanted (I described that
above)....that took quite some time. There is a manual thigh-support extender that can be popped out for long legs, and power controls for almost everything else.....even lumbar support. Once you have these seats set where you want them, they cradle you and conform to your thighs and torso like a glove (yes, even tall, wide people like me). Headroom, up front, is fine, especially since the carbon-fiber panel overhead takes the place of a traditional, room-robbing, sunroof housing. Being a coupe and not a sedan, headroom and legroom in the rear seat were naturally a little tight, and of course access was not as easy as in the M3 sedan, but, all in all, the rear seat was OK for small-to-medium sized adults, for short distances. Just don't expect Shaq O'Neill or Michael Jordan to fit back there.

The steering wheel and primary gauges, as with other BMWs, are excellent, although I prefer a 10,20,30, etc.... speedometer increment to the BMW 20,
40,60 style. But the basic round design of the primary gauges was clear, simple, and superb (the tach had the multicolored M3 logo on it). The black leather steering wheel had a leather-covered, super-thick rim and handsome, classy red and blue stitching on the inside leather seam that was smooth enough not to dig into your fingertips (this is a problem with some leather-covered wheels). An oil-temperature gauge resides under the tach, like on other BMWs. The parking brake was a proper pull-up lever on the console rather than the more awkward left-foot pedal them some competitors have. Smart, almost-vertical door grips help make opening and shutting the doors easier...some cars have more awkward horizontal ones. Smart, 3-tone trim on the inside door panels (on this particular interior package) really help spruce up the interior even more. The dash vents are exactly where you would expect them to be, and adjust smoothly and simply. The headliner had a nice, classy feel instead of the cheap, cost-cutting terry-cloth stuff you are starting to see in more and more cars. Big front seat-back release buttons on the tops of the seats make it easier to let people in the rear in and out. Most of the hardware and plastics inside are of a high quality except for a couple of stalks....more on that just below.

Problems inside? Yes, there are a couple....chiefly the I-Drive. I won't get into a debate here with those who like I-Drive. There are those who like the feature and those who don't. I, for one, definitely DON'T. Yes, I DO respect the opinions of those who like it (and I want to make that clear), but I simply don't share them. Never have, and probably never will, seeing as how every BMW I-Drive I've ever tried to use has been equally frustrating....as has been Audi's equally frustrating MMI system. And, in the M3, you use the I-drive not only for the usual NAV/climate control/stereo/phone function, but to adjust the suspension firmness as well....I had to fiddle around with the **** quite a bit just to go from COMFORT to NORMAL to SPORT to check out the ride/handling combination in each setting. But the stereo, once you screw around with the I-Drive **** enough to get it set up and find the station you want and adjust the volume (volume can also be adjusted with steering wheel buttons), sounds pretty good.....it was just short of Lexus stereos in sound quality. I tuned in a thumping Rap station right across the river in D.C. and let her rip to test the bass speakers....not high enough to damage them.

Some of the interior buttons/controls were unclear and poorly marked, especially the steering wheel buttons....this is a problem in some other BMWs as well. The steering-column stalks for wipers, cruise control, and turn-signals seem to be the same design and parts number as on many other German cars...they have a strong similiarity, and a cheap flimsy feel, but, on the M3, while the stalks themselves had a cheap feel, the underlying hardware that they are attached with was strong and smooth and allowed the stalks to move nicely, smoothly, and with a precise feel. The turn-signals are complex....the lever has programmable settings that allow spring-loaded lane-change feature only, click-to-lock only, or combinations of the two. It was difficult to figure it out with the I-Drive....the salespeople had to set it up for me (I wanted normal setting).

All in all, very nice inside except for the electronics and some button labelling.

CARGO AREA/TRUNK:

Open the solid, well-constructed trunk lid with either the key fob or the inside trunk release, and you are greeted with a relatively nice grade of frosted, light-gray carpeting in the trunk, which more or less matches the light gray leather on the seats, instead of the more usual black or dark gray carpeting. The slanted rear roofline and D-pillars, like on most of today's sedans and coupes, cuts into the size of the trunk opening some, but the trunk itself is reasonably big considering the car's overall size. Reasonably-sized luggage and packages fit inside with no problem. There are pull-levers under each side of the upper trunk lid that drop the two halves of the rear seat down for added cargo space and for carrying long items. The levers release the seat latches; you still have to push the seats down by hand. The seat-drop mechanisms still seemed to work OK, despite the omission of the hardware/hinges for the rear seat center arm-rest (I mentioned that problem earlier). There is a nice, solid-feeling, carpeted, well-hinged pull-up cover on the floor with excellent hardware on it that opens up to.......(again).......a nice gaping hole undeneath with instructions on using the Fix-a-Flat bottle instead of a spare tire.

Problem is, some flats can't be "fixed" with those cheap-a** bottles. Sometimes you may just have to wait for the tow truck. Fortunately, BMW provides free roadside assistance for the first four years/unliited mileage (which, of course, is usually just a contract with AAA or a similiar organizaton.....most auto companies don't do that themselves).

ON THE ROAD:

Here, of course, is where I had some fun......and some mixed feelings.

Some BMW vehicles require both the use of the key fob and the START/STOP button as well, with the Keyless Access option allowing the sole use of the
button with the key fob just in the vicinity. The M3, being a top-line vehicle, is set up the latter way.....the actual insertion of the key fob assembly is not needed. Just put it in your pocket, get in, and press the button with your foot on the brake (and, in my manual-transmission car, on the clutch as well). The 4.0L V8 fires up smoothly with the usual light show on the dash (I mentioned above that it has separate throttle assemblies for each cylinder) and settles into a silky but not-quiet idle. Being an M3 and the King of small sports sedans, the engineers obviously didn't want a Lincoln-Town-car-quiet exhaust. It took several minutes to get the bad power-seat controls to finally get the seat where I wanted it, mirrors adjusted, and everything else set up....that, of course, would not have happened if there had not been a defect.

It takes a few tries on the sensitive clutch to get used to it. It engages down close to the floor and rather abruptly. I took it easy for several blocks, allowing the engine oil temperature to come up a little and getting used to the feel of the clutch and the somewhat vague, notchy feel of the shift linkage. I was surprised that the shift linkage, in one of BMW's premier sport models, did not feel a little more driver-friendly. As it warmed up, got a few miles on it (and, being brand-new, maybe broke in a little), the linkage improved some, but it was never Honda-smooth or precise, and had somewhat longer throws.

The 4.0L V8 is a good engine for sport driving. Its maximum 414 HP comes at an unbelievably high 8300 RPM, far above any RPM I would give it as a brand-new car (I had agreed, of course, to the dealership's 4500-5000 limit). The torque maximum of 295 ft-lbs. however, is much lower, at 3900 RPM (right in the powerband I was giving it), and torque, at most speeds, is basically what determines your acceleration, not HP. So, despite not being able to red-line it or go to the HP peak, I was able to get a pretty good idea of this engine's grunt. Here, of course, the manual transmission helps out some...it doesn't eat up power like a fluid torque-converter automatic does. The M3's V8 actually has slightly less maximum torque than the less expensive 335i's twin-turbo in-line 6, but the 335i that I drove had a power-blunting automatic to the M3's more efficient stick, so the M3 felt as fast, if not faster, than the 335i I drove. And at very high RPM's (which I did not reach, of course) the M3's much greater HP (414 to 305) also becomes a factor. BMW claims 4.7 seconds from 0-60 for the M3 coupe and 4.8 seconds for the sedan. Both the M3 and the 335i will shove you well back into the seat, in normal driving, when you press that right pedal down...they both take off like scared cats. The 335's engine, of course, has the turbo complexities, but still costs a lot less than the M3's. The exhaust note of the M3, though, is in a whole different world from the 335......when you open it up, it has a much louder and more distinctly V8 drone. Those who like such an assault on their eardrums will clearly prefer the M3 (maybe that's why the engineers didn't put in the underhood insulation pad like I mentoned above).

In all three suspension modes (COMFORT/NORMAL/SPORT) the almost magical, tactile-feel of the 335i's power steering seeemed somewhat missing from the M3, which had a super-thick steering wheel rim, filled up your whole hands, and seemed a little heavier effort, with more resistance and less of the super-sensitive road feel that most BMWs are known for. This seemed to be partly a result of the M-specific power steering and the larger-footprint Michelin Pilot Sport tires. Twist the wheel with some effort, however, and boy, does the front end DOES respond....this car corners and grips like it is on rails. Push it into a tight corner, and the grip is immense...as hard as I cornered (as much as I considered prudent under the condidions), it was easily capable of far more Gs than I gave it. While I didn't actually drive it under track conditions, I have no doubt that this car will post excellent track figures....publications like Car & Driver or Road & Track will probably verify that. Body roll was practically nil, no matter what setting the suspension was in.

Ride comfort also did not seem to matter much with the three suspension settings.....it was maybe slightly more stiff in SPORT than COMFORT, but not
to the point of being truly harsh. All three settings, of course, were firm or borderline stiff.....(this is no luxury car).....but, once again, the excellence of BMW's suspension/chassis engineering shines through. The M3, like the 335i, is able to get a superb level of handling precision and steering response without unduly beating you up on rough roads. Even the Lexus IS-F I drove several weeks ago did have this level of chassis sophistication...it had almost BMW-type steering feel, but the suspension bounced you up and down on rough roads like a porpoise. That BMW can do this with harsh, 35-series tires is even more astounding....both the M3 and the 335i Sport package had 35-series. Contrast this, for example, with the Mitsubishi Evo, which also gives superlative handling for a sedan, but pounds you over bumps and assaults your ears louder than Joe Convict beating rocks at the State Prison.

The M3, as previously stated, while not excesively noisy, is noticeably louder on the road than the 335i, primarily due to the former's more aggressive exhaust note....both cars are sealed pretty well against wind and tire noise, although, with the M3's suspension, you do, at least, hear thumping bumps if you don't feel them harshly.

And, wow, does the M3 has superlative brakes. I especially liked the brakes on the 335i, but the M3's are clearly superior. The pedal is not only super-firm, with NO sponginess, but initial response is instantaneous. Press a little harder, and the huge Brembo 14.2 inch front/13.8 rear cross-drilled rotors and calipers chop off speed like a battleship anchor dropped off the rear of a rowboat. And I wasn't even using these brakes anywhere near full-force. On a track, again, under the right distances, the M3 is going to produce some great stopping distances......probably near Porsche 911 territory.

THE VERDICT?

The M3 is clearly quite a performance car, and, arguably, still the King of small-to-medium size sports sedans. Its traditional cult following will probably be attracted to the new one as much as it was to past models. It offers plenty of power, superbly engineered chassis, handling, and brakes, has what is IMO handsome, refined, and classy styling, a smartly done interior (with the right packages), and the added benefits of BMW's free 4-year maintenance. Its resale value is likely to remain high, especially for well-cared for models that have not been beat up in hard driving (good luck). It still outdoes any other sport sedan in its class in overall road manners, although the Lexus IS-F and Infiniti G35/37 come close. Those cars, however, don't have BMW's chassis sophistication, or a manual-transmission option, either.

But the M3 is not necessarily King of the Road in dollar value though, nor do I think the added price over its own brother BMW 335i (even more with some dealer markups) is necessarily justified. I first felt that way after driving a 335i. Now, after driving an M3 in comparison, I still think that way, although there is no question that, in extreme driving conditions on a track, the M3 is clearly superior to the 335 in engine, chassis, and brakes. But, for normal driving mixed with some hard driving here and there such as on twisty roads, I still think the 335i makes more sense as a daily driver. Its steering is more precise and telepathic then the heavier steering of the M3, It offers much of the M3's handling on any normal, public road, and it will stop with plenty of authority, though not quite like the M3. I also wasn't impressed with the M3's shift linkage, and no automatic or automated manual transmission is offered. The 335i comes with manual or a Steptronic Sport-shift automatic. For my money, the 335i, under most conditions, would be a better buy.....the one I reviewed listed at 47K to the M3's 69K (without dealer markups).

Yet, I know that there are a lot of BMW fans on CL (that's why I got a lot of requests to review the M3 in the first place), and that, like with the I-Drive, some of you are going to disagree with me on the M3-335i comparison. Again, I understand your reasons for doing so, and I respect your opinions, if you will respect mine.....I honestly feel the 335i is a good, lower-priced M3 alternative to all but the VERY hardest driving and track conditions.

Note/Update: After I posted this review, some CL members noted that there will be an upcoming convertible version, and that the automated twin-clutch transmission is now available as an option. Apparantly cloth seats are available too, but very hard to find. The data I used for the review was what BMW published and put in their brochure, the website, and what the salespeople told me, but some of that may have been out of date.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-28-08 at 03:04 PM.
Old 04-27-08, 01:44 PM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the review, it is very helpful
Old 04-27-08, 01:54 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the review, just an heads up.. the first picture is the E46 M3, not the E92 one
Old 04-27-08, 02:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mikez
Thanks for the review, just an heads up.. the first picture is the E46 M3, not the E92 one
OK, Thanks. I stuck in a red E92. On Google, it's sometimes hard to tell the two apart from the headlights.
Old 04-27-08, 02:05 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Fantastic review. I found it interesting (if not a bit appalling ) that you thought the M3 steering is actually less tactile than the 335. The 335 has fantastic steering feel and that it doesn't translate to the M3 (for whatever reason, including those you speculate) is disappointing.
Old 04-27-08, 02:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by gengar
Fantastic review. I found it interesting (if not a bit appalling ) that you thought the M3 steering is actually less tactile than the 335. The 335 has fantastic steering feel and that it doesn't translate to the M3 (for whatever reason, including those you speculate) is disappointing.
Thanks.

It's not a huge difference; just a slightly heavier feel on the M3, that's all....though still with great feedback. The M3 is still a BMW, after all.......there's no such thing as lousy BMW steering. The M3's steering has to deal with more weight up front from a heavier engine, different tires, a multi-setting suspension, and possibly more heavier-duty steering parts in the system from projected track use....335's, of course, are used mostly on the street.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-27-08 at 02:18 PM.
Old 04-27-08, 02:22 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for a very thorough review of such an iconic car!

Originally Posted by mmarshall
But the M3 is not necessarily King of the Road in dollar value though, nor do I think the added price over its own brother BMW 335i (even more with some dealer markups) is necessarily justified. I first felt that way after driving a 335i. Now, after driving an M3 in comparison, I still think that way, although there is no question that, in extreme driving conditions on a track, the M3 is clearly superior to the 335 in engine, chassis, and brakes. But, for normal driving mixed with some hard driving here and there such as on twisty roads, I still think the 335i makes more sense as a daily driver.
Do you feel the same way regarding the IS350 to the IS-F? Or the C350 to the C63 AMG? Of the three, which do you think provides the best upgrades for the money?

And the Biggie: Now that you've driven all three, which would you buy?
Old 04-27-08, 02:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Thanks for a very thorough review of such an iconic car!
Sure. Anytime.

Do you feel the same way regarding the IS350 to the IS-F? Or the C350 to the C63 AMG? Of the three, which do you think provides the best upgrades for the money?
With Lexus, it's a different situation. On a smooth road, the IS-F is much more fun to drive than an IS350...I found the IS350 somewhat boring in comparison, much more so than the difference between the 335 and M3. But on a rough road, the IS-F is simply too harsh.....it doesn't have the BMW excellence in combining ride/handling.

Haven't specifically reviewed the C350...can't directly compare it to the AMG.

For all normal driving, the C63 AMG is an incredible car. I was enormously impressed with it; even more so than with the M3 because I don't usually drive like what the M3 was designed for. But the C63 is simply TOO expensive.

And the Biggie: Now that you've driven all three, which would you buy?

If money....and slick roads.... were no object, a C63.

If I went to the track regularly, an M3.

If I wanted a superb, relatively sensibly-priced daily driver, a 335i.

In the REAL world I deal with every day....I'd take the money and buy two or three Subarus.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-27-08 at 02:36 PM.
Old 04-27-08, 03:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Next planned review, by CL request: 2009 Acura TSX
Old 04-27-08, 03:55 PM
LOL!
Lead Lap

MMarshall...awesome review. Thank you so much. So informative, and well thought out. I wrestled with the thought of the 335i Vs. M3 for sometime. I pulled the trigger on the M3 (will be here Sept.) What my dealer told me: An M3 is an M3. Iconic car. Although there was a big price difference, I felt it was justifiable. Let me add, I know the 335i is an EXCELLENT car. Reading these reviews make the wait feel sooo much LONGER
Old 04-27-08, 03:57 PM
MrBruin09
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

great review as usual!!! Have you driven a C63, I can't tell from your comments if you have or not?
Old 04-27-08, 04:22 PM
rai
Lead Lap

The M3 does offer a dual-clutch auto-manual similar to the audi/VW DSG and the tranny in the GTR and Bugatti. It's a $2700 option and people in the US already have taken delivery of M3s with the M-DCT.

It's on the rare side since it came to market a few months after the 6MT.
Old 04-27-08, 04:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by adam8065
great review as usual!!! Have you driven a C63, I can't tell from your comments if you have or not?
Thanks.

No, but I did a full review on the E63 just a few days ago.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...eview+2008+e63
Old 04-27-08, 05:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rai
The M3 does offer a dual-clutch auto-manual similar to the audi/VW DSG and the tranny in the GTR and Bugatti. It's a $2700 option and people in the US already have taken delivery of M3s with the M-DCT.

It's on the rare side since it came to market a few months after the 6MT.
They told me at the dealership the twin-clutch was coming but is not available yet. If you are right, then that was an error on their part. Nor could I find it in the BMW literature for the M3.

Did you order one on your M3?

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-27-08 at 05:03 PM.
Old 04-27-08, 05:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LOL!
MMarshall...awesome review. Thank you so much. So informative, and well thought out. I wrestled with the thought of the 335i Vs. M3 for sometime. I pulled the trigger on the M3 (will be here Sept.) What my dealer told me: An M3 is an M3. Iconic car. Although there was a big price difference, I felt it was justifiable. Let me add, I know the 335i is an EXCELLENT car. Reading these reviews make the wait feel sooo much LONGER
Thanks.

This was done solely for you people who wanted it. I may have inadvertantly left something out, though........rai pointed out that the twin-clutch transmission may now be available. They told me at the dealership it wasn't...but may be on the way.

Good luck wth your M3. As I said in the review. I understand the reasons some people are attracted to it, even though I myself would get the 335i.

And when your M3 comes in, look it over carefully, inside and out, operate all the controls, test-drive it, and make sure there are no defects. The one I reviewed had two significant problems from poor quality control.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-27-08 at 05:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Review: 2008 BMW M3 Coupe