Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

R&T Test: IS-F vs M3 vs C63 vs RS4

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-08, 06:31 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
Why is that?
Because Lexus is in last place.
Old 04-30-08, 08:45 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The IS-F is a great car, as long as the roads are glass-smooth, and is the first Lexus I've seen that approxomates the BMW steering feel. But remember, most of the auto mags do their comparisons on a track whose surface is well-maintained. Even R&T remarked in the article, though, like I did in my review, on how stiff the IS-F underpinnings were when they took it out on normal, not-so-smooth roads. The one I drove hopped up and down over bumps like a porpoise.
See now when Magazines and reviewers complain about it being too stiff, likely the next version will be softer. Not cool. Hope they know better.
Old 04-30-08, 08:57 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MR_F1
See now when Magazines and reviewers complain about it being too stiff, likely the next version will be softer. Not cool. Hope they know better.
Do you own one? Have you even driven one?

What mmarshall says is correct. The IS-F will porpoise over rough roads, more so than the competition. What we want in the next version is what BMW did with the 335 compared to the previous M3. They managed to provide a better ride with better handling/performance.
Old 04-30-08, 09:19 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SilverBull
I still haven't driven an RS4 but the S4 with the Quattro is fun as hell. Handling on that car is top notch. The MB is beast in a straight line but they STILL need 3 pedals to make work better.
Cars with such monstrous torque ratings drive rather poorly with a third pedal for the sole reason that most people wouldn't be able to launch the car. You'd have to be "pretty damn good" or a professional to be able to pull that off.

AMG is doing the right thing by keeping their cars automatic. I recall reading that the current SLK55 AMG was supposed to have a 6-speed manual from ZF but AMG dumped the idea after the transmission wouldn't fit into the transmission tunnel of the SLK.

Anyway, I'd be happy with any car here. I'd probably go with the Audi RS4 because of the AWD advantage in wet weather. I'd be equally happy with any car here.
Old 04-30-08, 09:24 AM
TruthTellr
Rookie

A stiff ride is all we're gonna hear when old people continue to do test on high performance cars. Lets get some fresh young blood into auto mags.
Old 04-30-08, 09:46 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I drove the C63 last week. The thing is an absolute rocket in a straight line. In fact, it has so much power that it makes it feel slow in corners... the traction control keeps VERY busy coming out of turns (I did not defeat the TCS since this car was owned by MB USA). I didn't think the steering was particularly impressive, but the car drives well enough. AMG is using the sledgehammer approach with this car.

I haven't driven the IS-F.

I haven't driven the RS4, but I have ridden in one and even ran one getting on the freeway about two months ago (my friend Craig's car). It's not the straight-line beast I anticipated... it didn't exactly walk-away from my ancient GS400 with simple bolt-on mods. I find the RS4 sort of heavy and ponderous due to the weight of the all-wheel drive. I guess I would use the word "deliberate" to describe this car on the street, but it is a joy on the track.

I haven't driven the new M3, but I'm sure in typical BMW fashion the chassis is sublime. I'm not crazy about high-strung V8s in a street car, but you can't argue with the performance data. I think on the street this car could get smashed by "lesser cars" in a straight line unless you're on the ball and always have the car in the correct gear...
Old 04-30-08, 01:33 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mr Johnson
Do you own one? Have you even driven one?

What mmarshall says is correct. The IS-F will porpoise over rough roads, more so than the competition. What we want in the next version is what BMW did with the 335 compared to the previous M3. They managed to provide a better ride with better handling/performance.
No I haven't, but maybe you misunderstood me. Stiff wasn't the word I was looking for. Think transition from IS300 - IS350. It lost that 'edge' .... Yes the IS350 is much more 'Lexus', but it could have been so much more.