Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

1st Japanese Supercar

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-08, 01:42 PM
SilverBull
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1st Japanese Supercar

Is it the new GTR(Skyline) or Acura(Honda) NSX or Toyota Supra. Let me hear your thoughts on this one. I was on Jaylenosgarage and listening to his review of the new GTR and thought about this one.
Old 04-29-08, 01:44 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Supercar is a very vague term. If it were up to me I'd say the 2000GT is the first Japanese supercar but that's just me.
Old 04-29-08, 02:59 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

+1 for 2000GT!!
Old 04-29-08, 03:39 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Supercar is a very vague term. If it were up to me I'd say the 2000GT is the first Japanese supercar but that's just me.
Exactly.

No one can touch the type of dramatic influence that the 2000GT left in the automotive industry.
Old 04-29-08, 03:55 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverBull
Is it the new GTR(Skyline) or Acura(Honda) NSX or Toyota Supra. Let me hear your thoughts on this one. I was on Jaylenosgarage and listening to his review of the new GTR and thought about this one.
I don't agree with Jay about the NSX not being a supercar or Japan's first, his only reason was it did not have enough horsepower but he fails to mention the car was very light and so balanced and tuned that it put everybit of that horsepower down. Plus when the NSX first came out 270hp was pretty high and respectable, it may not be that much today but back then especially coming from a NA v6 it was very impressive. The NSX also beat its target Ferrari 348 in all performance categories even though the Ferrari used a v8. The NSX beat most of its other competition too and it did not need big v8 or v12s.

The NSX was exotic when it came out. It was mid engined, had highly advanced exotic technology like Vtec, aluminum body, titanium connecting rods,etc. Its main competition was Ferrari. In some ways it is still more of an exotic/supercar then the GTR.

To me the NSX was the first true exotic and supercar from Japan and without a doubt the best sports car to come out of Japan and one of the best in the world.
Old 04-29-08, 04:22 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by UDel
I don't agree with Jay about the NSX not being a supercar or Japan's first, his only reason was it did not have enough horsepower but he fails to mention the car was very light and so balanced and tuned that it put everybit of that horsepower down. Plus when the NSX first came out 270hp was pretty high and respectable, it may not be that much today but back then especially coming from a NA v6 it was very impressive. The NSX also beat its target Ferrari 348 in all performance categories even though the Ferrari used a v8. The NSX beat most of its other competition too and it did not need big v8 or v12s.

The NSX was exotic when it came out. It was mid engined, had highly advanced exotic technology like Vtec, aluminum body, titanium connecting rods,etc. Its main competition was Ferrari. In some ways it is still more of an exotic/supercar then the GTR.

To me the NSX was the first true exotic and supercar from Japan and without a doubt the best sports car to come out of Japan and one of the best in the world.
+1
Old 04-29-08, 04:59 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also the NSX was devloped by Senna and tested on the Nurenburgring. This kind of extensive testing and the advanced technology makes the NSX a supercar.
Old 04-29-08, 06:16 PM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

NSX FTW'!!!!

Goddamn that car is awesome. Even looking for a decent used one doesn't come cheap
Old 04-29-08, 07:14 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by UDel

I totally agree with you.
Old 04-29-08, 07:27 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

NSX, no doubt, is a super car by any measure. Arguing against it makes you look like a fool.
Old 04-29-08, 09:09 PM
LexFather

This is the first.

The Toyota 2000GT was a sports car produced in very limited numbers by Toyota in Japan. First seen at the Tokyo Motor Show of 1965, production vehicles were built between 1967 and 1970. It revolutionized the automotive world's view of Japan, formerly seen as a producer of imitative and stodgily practical vehicles, and showed that the Japanese makers could produce a sports car to rival those of Europe.

Reviewing a pre-production car in 1967, Road & Track magazine summed up the 2000GT as "one of the most exciting and enjoyable cars we've driven", and compared it favorably to the Porsche 911. Today, the car is seen as the first seriously collectible Japanese car, the first "Japanese Supercar", and examples change hands for fairly high prices.

Old 04-30-08, 12:36 AM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

To me, supercar rules are
1: two seater only (other than the MCF1, which had 3)
2: ridiculously expensive
3: a rubbish boot
Old 04-30-08, 08:43 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
This is the first.

The Toyota 2000GT was a sports car produced in very limited numbers by Toyota in Japan. First seen at the Tokyo Motor Show of 1965, production vehicles were built between 1967 and 1970. It revolutionized the automotive world's view of Japan, formerly seen as a producer of imitative and stodgily practical vehicles, and showed that the Japanese makers could produce a sports car to rival those of Europe.

Reviewing a pre-production car in 1967, Road & Track magazine summed up the 2000GT as "one of the most exciting and enjoyable cars we've driven", and compared it favorably to the Porsche 911. Today, the car is seen as the first seriously collectible Japanese car, the first "Japanese Supercar", and examples change hands for fairly high prices.

That's beautiful and timeless.
Old 04-30-08, 09:03 AM
TruthTellr
Rookie

NSX not a supercar is just jay's opinion. A Corolla is a supercar in my book.
Old 04-30-08, 09:55 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

definitly the 2000GT. The work that went into the interior with Yamaha and the use of rosewood is also beautiful.