Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Condensed Review: 2009 Acura TSX

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-08, 05:08 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by ffpower
That interior picture is the new Honda Accord's, not TSX.
Yes. I apologized in the review for the rather poor images....not much was available on Google for the 2009 TSX. The American-market TSX is the same as the non-American-market Accord.....hence the "H" on the steering wheel instead of an "A".
Old 04-30-08, 05:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mikez
Great review, good read.
Thanks.

Wow 32k for a TSX... Do you think TSX is worth it over an IS250awd? I got mine for 30k and I'm blown out of my mind anyone would want a TSX for that money other than the Acura fans and people who need more leg room in the back.
You can save 4K or so by opting for the base model TSX. Both the manual and automatic are the same price.

As far as the TSX-IS250 comparison, I like the TSX for chassis refinement, ride quality, and interior room, but I like the IS250 for the AWD option, interior plushness, and brakes. Both cars now have too much plastic inside, but the IS250's is better-finished. The old 2008 TSX, though, IMO, will match the IS250 in interior quality. The IS250 AWD, though, is sluggish, and all IS rear seats are a joke. All post-2005 IS models, without the optional 55-series tires that the 2001-2005 models had, also ride too stiffly for my tastes. I liked the TSX's 2.4L four....it felt as strong as the IS250'S RWD V6, and definitely stronger than the AWD V6.
Old 04-30-08, 05:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
The horsepower war.

You know, in the past few months we've been looking at vehicles like the X6 with a turbo V8 and goin when does the amount of horsepower in cars become superflous. But then I look at Acura and go hmmm....maybe you could borrow some of that power from BMW?
High gas prices, I think, are finally going to stop the HP war, at least in sales if not in production. The Mercedes E63 and BMW M3 that I reviewed recently not only averaged mileage in the low teens, but had Federal gas-guzzler taxes slapped on as well.

Some people, however, will probably continue to have muscle cars....they just will not drive them as much, and have econoboxes on the side for daily driving and commuting.
Old 04-30-08, 05:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
You may be the only reviewer that sees the lack of keyless ignition as a minus. Why does everyone else hate it?
I just trhink it's easier to have the key fob in your pocket and not have to fumble with it sticking it in and out. It's easier to simply push a button on-off. You can call me lazy if you want, but I like the push-buttons.

On some BMW's, without the Keyless Option, you have to insert both a key fob AND push a button to start it up.....go figure.
Old 04-30-08, 05:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for posting the additional pictures, Mike (1SICKLEX) They're a lot better than the ones I found on Google.
Old 04-30-08, 05:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Actually it was a 4 HP decrease.
HP and torque, don't forget, is not rated the same way it was a couple of years ago. The same amount of actual power will now give a slightly different reading.
Old 04-30-08, 05:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Thank you for the review Mike!
Anytime.

Although the TSX is entry-level, I do think it's too "cheap" for Acura, and further downplays the luxury status of Acura. I don't mind that it has an I-4 engine with FWD drivetrain (I know lots of people expect a RWD V6 in luxury cars), but I do mind when the TSX offers nothing that an Accord can offer for the pricepoint.

In comparison, Lexus and Infiniti offer the IS250/350 and G35/37, which cannot be compared to any product in the Toyota and Nissan model lineup respectively (well, the 350Z is a downgraded G35...). Perhaps Acura should follow the ideology for their luxury nameplate...
Don't sell the TSX's four-banger short. Like I mentioned above, it felt as strong as the RWD IS250's six, and definitely stronger than the AWD IS250, which is borderline sluggish. The FWD TSX does have a little more understeer and body roll than the RWD/AWD IS250 and Infiniti G35/37, but the flip side is better ride comfort.
Old 04-30-08, 09:16 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes. I apologized in the review for the rather poor images....not much was available on Google for the 2009 TSX. The American-market TSX is the same as the non-American-market Accord.....hence the "H" on the steering wheel instead of an "A".
That picture isn't even the Euro Accord, it's the US Accord!

2009 Euro Accord:

2009 TSX:

US Accord:

Like 1SICKLEX said, this is Acura's biggest problem...
Old 04-30-08, 10:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ffpower
Like 1SICKLEX said, this is Acura's biggest problem...
Thanks for updating the shots, ffpower. I would have taken some shots myself of the particular car I reviewed, except that I don't have a digital camera and wouldn't know how to download and post them anyway. My computer-posting skills trail my auto-reviewing skills by a considerable margin.

Not only was there a lack of good pictures on Google (which are easily transfered and posted), but many of the existing ones were mislabeled. I have noticed that not only with the new TSX but other cars as well. In future reviews I may not post an image at all if it can't be verified 100%.

Anyhow, that's that. I still wasn't impressed with the new TSX interior compared to the 2008, no matter how it's labeled. The fit and finish inside the 2008 model was superb.
Old 04-30-08, 10:56 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mmarshall, as thorough as your reviews are about the little details of a car I'd think it'd be really beneficial for you to get a digital camera and take pics with your reviews. Most of the shots of various cars around the web are from far away and just very generic overview shots. I have a feeling you'd include a lot of up close detail shots to show in pictures what you're talking about in words.

Digicams are insanely simple to use these days.

I'd recommend picking up something cheap, compact, and basic from Canon and loading this software on your computer (it's free) - called Picasa
http://picasa.google.com/

Excellent photo manager, and it even has a built in 'publish to web' button built in that will eliminate every bit of complexity in publishing your reviews... you'd just make a review album and include the link to the photos in your review.
Old 04-30-08, 11:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Threxx
mmarshall, as thorough as your reviews are about the little details of a car I'd think it'd be really beneficial for you to get a digital camera and take pics with your reviews. Most of the shots of various cars around the web are from far away and just very generic overview shots. I have a feeling you'd include a lot of up close detail shots to show in pictures what you're talking about in words.

Digicams are insanely simple to use these days.

I'd recommend picking up something cheap, compact, and basic from Canon and loading this software on your computer (it's free) - called Picasa
http://picasa.google.com/

Excellent photo manager, and it even has a built in 'publish to web' button built in that will eliminate every bit of complexity in publishing your reviews... you'd just make a review album and include the link to the photos in your review.

Thanks. I'll consider it.
Old 04-30-08, 05:28 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Thanks for the review. Much appreciated as always. Did you notice if the new TSX requires premium or not??Ive read elsewhere, but not from a reliable source. I'll driving this car myself on saturday, so I'll see.
Old 04-30-08, 08:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GFerg
Thanks for the review. Much appreciated as always. Did you notice if the new TSX requires premium or not??Ive read elsewhere, but not from a reliable source. I'll driving this car myself on saturday, so I'll see.
The service people there said yes, it does take Premium. So does the TSX literature (EPA mileage is 20/28 manual, 21/30 with the automatic). With a compression ratio of 11 to 1 for power, I can't imagine the engine using 87 Octane except in a pinch, for very short periods, with the knock-sensor operating. It's inteesting....more and more cars, in a reversal from the past, are getting the same or metter mileage with automatics now than sticks. That shows you how far along transmission technology has become. For many decades that was almost unheard of. Some hybrids, depending on how the electric motor cuts in, also now get lopsided city/highway ratings.

Have fun driving the TSX. You don't necessarily have to write up a whole review like me, but give us your impressions of it. And, if you can, briefly look at a 2008 with the beige/woodtrim interior and see if you agree with me that the new 2009 interior is a let-down.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-30-08 at 08:39 PM.
Old 04-30-08, 08:39 PM
Tundra470
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man I really wish the front grille wasn't so solid, it seems to weigh down the hood a bit.