Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Condensed Review: 2009 Acura TSX

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-08, 06:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Condensed Review: 2009 Acura TSX

By CL member request, a Condensed Review of the 2009 Acura TSX

(Sorry I couldn't post better pictures, guys...there are very few good unmasked Google images on the 2009 that I could easily download,
and I don't have a digital camera. Acura has nice photos, of course, on their web site)

http://www.acura.com/index.aspx?initPath=TSX

In a Nutshell: A fairly nice-driving semi-sport/luxury sedan, and reliable, but interior trim cost-cutting is noticeable.

I got a couple of requests from CL members for a review of the 2009 Acura TSX, and, since I reviewed the outgoing 2008 version a couple of months ago, I decided to do a slightly condensed review of the new version instead of starting completely from scratch......but I won't skimp; I'll go over the car completely in detail. There are a number of similiarities to the old model...and some important differences.

The old TSX, in general, was based on the non-U.S. market version of the Accord sold overseas, which, of course, was smaller than the American-market Accord. The old TSX was roughly the size of an American-market Civic. The new TSX is slightly larger than the old car, and noticeably wider, giving a little more shoulder room inside (more on that below). It is still considered Acura's entry-level sedan, and, unlike its Infiniti and Lexus competitors, comes only with a naturally-aspirated in-line 4 and does not offer AWD. No turbo 4 or V6 is yet offered either. As far as I know (Acura has not confirmed it), the new TSX, like the old one, is still done on what will be the platform of the new non-American-market Accord. The Acura people I talked with today said that the turbo 4 from the RDX was considered for the new TSX (I asked about that), but then was dropped...for reasons which they don't know.

Four different versions of the TSX are offered for 2009; a Base version with manual or automatic, and a Technology Package version with manual or automatic. Both of base versions start at $28,960 and both of the Tech versions at $32,060. Ordering/marketing is simple; there are almost no stand-alone options. Virtually everything comes in one of those four versions, although there are some dealer add-on accessories if desired (my car had the $133 trunk and floor mats). The dealership I was at had a number of 2009 TSXs available....and three leftover 2008s, so the car is not presently in a tight supply/demand situation....reasonably good deals can be made for those who are interested in buying or leasing one (probably even better on a 2008). However, they didn't want a pick-and-choose for a test-drive,....they had a specially-built demo for that, a Tech Package automatic in gray metallic with black leather inside (it had a factory price sticker, but specifically said Demo/Do Not Sell). So, I didn't argue with them.....the gray one it was. But the tire PSI check and underhood engine fluid check are mandatory on my part.....in most cases I won't test-drive a car until I inspect it first. The PDI guys often forget to set the proper PSI in the tires when the car rolls off the transporter truck....this time, which is unusual, they DID have the tires right. And it was still a new car.....208 miles on it.

OK..........so let's review the new TSX and go for a ride.

Model Reviewed: 2009 Acura TSX Automatic/Technology Package

Base Price: $32,060

Major Options: None

Accessories:

All-season Floor/Trunk Mats $133

Destination/Freight: $715

List Price as Reviewed: $32,908

Exterior Color: Polished Metal (Gray) Metallic

Interior: Ebony (Black) Leather

Drivetrain: FWD, Transversely-mounted DOHC, 16-valve, VTEC, 2.4L in-line four, 201 HP @ 7000 RPM, Torque 170 ft-lbs. @ 4300 RPM,
5-speed automatic with Sportshift paddles.

PLUSSES:

Torque not bad for a Honda-Acura normally aspirated four.

Engine relatively smooth and quiet.

Smooth-shifting, quiet transmission.

Slick-operating shifter.

Firm brake response at lower speeds.

Reasonably good handling for a FWD 4-door sedan.

Firm but comfortable ride.

Less road noise than 2008 model.

Nice engine fit and good component access under the hood.

Nice paint job.

Dull but classy paint colors.

Excellent outside hardware and mirrors.

Solid doors and trunk lid.

Well-finished trunk.

Nice-quality leather.

Clear, legible gauges and buttons.

Excellent stereo with Surround-Sound system

Steering wheel design nicer than on Acura SUVs.

Twin-folding rear seats for extra cargo space.

More shoulder room inside than the 2008 model.

Well-designed interior door-pulls.

Handsome, 5-spoke alloy wheels.

MINUSES:

Interior trim quality well below the 2008 model.

Lower-left dash may rub knees of taller people.

Awkward, El Cheapo prop rod for the hood.

Awkward-looking, unattractive (IMO) grille.

Tinny-closing hood.

Attractive blue gauge rings of previous model gone.

No engine START/STOP button, which is expected in this class.

Wood trim of previous beige-interior version gone.

Brake response immediate but spongy at higher speeds.

Slightly too much boost in the power steering.

Marginal rear seat legroom and headroom for tall adults.

New I-Drive-type dash controller (NAV/Technology version) somewhat awkward to use.

SH-AWD, V6, and turbo-4 versions not available.

Awkward steering column tilt/telescope lever.

EXTERIOR:

As you walk up to the new TSx, your first impression is that it is styled somewhat different on the outside, but not greatly so. Perhaps the most obvious eye-catcher is the rather awkward-looking new front grille, definitely, IMO, a step down from the old one. The car is slightly, but just noticeably, wider than the old one as well, and the new side door handles are reminiscient of those on the new Honda Accord. In the back, the rear end has more or less the same styling as the old one, but with some minor changes in the shape of the taillights and with as somewhat chunkier-looking rear bumper. Along the sides, one notices the same lack of side claddings and mouldings as the old car had (be careful in the parking lot), although a crease in the sheet metal runs aft of the front wheel arch through both door handles to the rear deck lid to break up the plain sheet metal a little. All of the exterior sheet metal...doors, hood, roof, and trunk lid......feels solid and well-done, and shut solidly except for the hood...more on that below. The paint job was above average in quality, though, to my eyes, it wasn't quite as well as on the last TSX. Still, it was smooth and glossy, with only a slight amount of orange peel. The exterior color palate for the new TSX, like many cars today, is rather dull, but some of the colors are classy anyway, like the Premium White Pearl, Glacier Blue Metallic, and Vortex Blue Pearl. The exterior hardware was all solid and well-done, with the usual superlative Honda/Acura Swiss-Watch quality and slidness of the outside mirrors. All of the trim looked and felt solid and well-attached. As with the Mercedes E63 and Pontiac G8 GT I looked at recently, I was very impressed with the look of the 5-spoke, mag-style alloy wheels, which held P225/17/50 high-performance all-season tires.

UNDERHOOD:

Open the hood, and the first thing you are greeted with is an awkward, manual prop-rod for the hood, which IMO is out of place in a car costing over $30,000...Subaru, with all its other cost-cutting, puts nice gas struts in the new $17,000 Impreza. The hood itself seems well-made, with good quality sheet metal and an underhood insulation pad, but shuts with a tinny-feeling catch and vibration. The space underhood, though, is one of the car's better points. The transverse-mounted, 2.4L in-like 4 fits in nicely, with room to spare all around it. The usual silver plastic engine cover is on top, but it doesn't hide very many things, and here is plenty of space to reach many of the upper-engine components all around it. Access to the transmission/final drive unit is at least partly accessable on the right, the battery is uncovered and right up front where it's easy to reach, and all of the dipsticks and reservoirs are easy to reach, although you have to lean forward a little to reach the orange oil dipstick, which sticks up at the rear of the engine block through the valve cover. Though you may have to use ramps to get at the oil filter and drain plug below, this will probably not be a difficult car for do-it-yourselfers.

INTERIOR:

Open the doors, get in, and, to my eyes and senses, the new interior trim, looks-wise, is a major let-down from that of the 2008, no matter which of the three interior leather colors you choose ( according to the brochure, no cloth options). My car has the black leather, which more or less blended in with the black/gray silver dash and console for a more monotone effect; Parchment and Taupe-colored leather options are available (depending on exterior color) for more contrast and a two-tone effect. The nice, classy, light-brown polished wood or metallic strips and highly-finished trim surfaces of the 2008 model interior are gone.....replaced by bargain-basement, painted silver and gray plastic surfaces. The inside door handles are now painted gray instead of chrome. The primary gauges, though clear and easy to read, have lost the nice blue halo rings that marked their predescessors. In the Technology/Nav versions, an awkward, I-Drive-type dash controller takes the place of a simpler button/**** system on the old TSX. A protruding lower dash panel on the left goes right where my left knee did when I got the seat and steering column adjusted where I wanted them.

But there are a lot of nice things inside as well. The door-pulls are well-designed for easy grip. The steering wheel is much nicer than on some other Honda/Acura products, though there are, IMO, too many buttons on it. The upper dash has a soft-surface touch. The front seats are quite comfortable and supportive, and have fairly nice leather. There is plenty of legroom and headroom in front, even with the sunroof, if you lower the drivers'seat enough. In back, legroom and headroom is more limited, but still OK for small-to-medium size adults. The buttons are mostly well-labelled and clear. The hardware inside is all almost first class.....contrasted to the old 2008 TSX, where it WAS first-class. The stereo, with the Surround-Sound system that comes with the Technology Package, is really first class...just short of the better Lexus units. Because of the new car's width, there is a little more room for shoulders and wide torsos. The transmission shifter is super-slick in operation, though you have to use the steering-column paddles (which are properly marked) for manual shifting....there is no manual-shift gate for the lever. Finally, the new interior seems a little quieter, with better insulation from road noise.....more on that below.

CARGO AREA/TRUNK:

The trunk lid is solid and well-constructed, and opening it reveals a well-finished trunk with a nice grade of carpeting (can't remember exactly what color it was....I think dark gray). The slanted rear roofline, as on most of today's sedans, cuts into the size of the rear trunk lid, but there is still room to load reasonably-sized luggage, packages, or cargo. As on most cars in its class, remote pull-levers under the rim release the dual rear seats so they will fold down for added cargo space. Under the floor lies a full-size but temporary spare tire/wheel.....I feel a car of this class shopuld have a real spare tire/wheel, but at least it's one step better than the Fix-a-Flat bottle you get with some cars.....even without run-flat tires.

ON THE ROAD:

On the road, there is rather little to complain about....this is, IMO, generally a pleasant sedan to drive. Start it up with a conventional key on the right side of the steering column, which surprised me.....in this class of car, I was expecting a START/STOP button. Fortunately, the ignition switch is easy to see and, you don't have to crane your head too much like with some switches of this type. The 2.4L VTEC Honda four starts up and idles with its typical Honda smoothness and quietness....the aforementioned underhood insulation pad helps some. The 2.4L, unlike smaller normally-aspirated VTEC Honda fours, does not seem to have a shortage of torque at lower RPMs.....you don't have to spin it up to motorcycle engine speeds to get adequate power from it. Its maximum 170 ft-lbs of torque comes at a reasonable 4300 RPM. There is enough power for all normal driving without any problems, although, with this car being marketed as a nominal sport sedan, I personally think Acura should consider making either a V6 or the RDX's turbo-4 as an option. The standard 2.4L has enough power for daily driving, but not what I would consider sport-sedan levels.

The transmission was smooth and quiet, yet shifted crisply and seamlessly, whether in full-automatic or manual-shift with the paddles....I've already described how slick the shift lever felt. Wind noise was well-sealed, and road noise, to my ears, seemed a little less than in the old TSX, which was one of its weak points. The exhaust noise was mild under all conditons, even hard acceleration. Handling response, with the FWD and resulting nose-heaviness, naturally produced a little understeer. There was some body roll, but generally well-controlled. Overall, handling was good by FWD standards for a car of this type. Though not feathery, the power steering was a little overboosted for my tastes.....Acura could learn from the superb power steering on the new Accord Coupe. Ride comfort was fairly good, considering the handling level and the 50-series tires. But, after driving Mercedes and BMW sport sedans lately, it was clear to me that Acura chassis engineers, though they have basically done their homework (there is nothing to really complain about in the chassis) don't quite have the know-how and the magic touch that they do in Germany.

Brakes were generally well-done, with a firm pedal and good response at lower speeds, with still a firm pedal at first, but with a little more sponginess at higher speeds. Though not quite up to BMW/Porsche standards, nothing really to complain about.

THE VERDICT?

Overall, I liked the older version of the TSX slightly better than the new one. The superbly finished 2008 beige/wood trim interior, especially, was more to my liking than the new 2009 interior with its lighter plastics, cheaply painted silver/gray trim, overall duller fit/finish, and knee-whacking dash. The old model also seemed to have a slightly better paint job, but the difference is small. Its grille, IMO, was less-awkward looking. The old one also didn't have the complex Dash controller.

However, there are compelling reasons to get the new one as well. It is a little wider inside, with noticeably more shoulder room. The road noise level seems to have been improved this year. The drivetrain is smooth, reasonably powerful, and refined for an in-line 4. There is more access room under the hood for do-it-yourselfers....but the prop rod is annoying. The exterior hardware, like on the old car, is first-rate. And the alloy wheels, IMO, are quite handsome.

But, before you go and sign on the dotted line for either a new 2009 or a leftover 2008 model, check out the new Honda Accord V6 coupe or sedan for the same money....or less. The new Accord, in my experience, gives you a larger car, more engine for the same money, an equally refined drivetrain, equal or better fit/finish, better steering feel (especially in the EX-L coupe), and good handling by FWD standards. Its front end and grille, IMO, is also much better-looking than of the new TSX.....the Accord's is somewhat like the Hyundai Sonata's, which I also think is handsome.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-29-08 at 06:52 PM.
Old 04-29-08, 07:34 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That interior picture is the new Honda Accord's, not TSX.
Old 04-29-08, 07:44 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by ffpower
That interior picture is the new Honda Accord's, not TSX.
That right there summarizes Acura's entire problem.

Great review Mike, I think you nailed it. This car is basically another Accord and like the USDM Accord, grew in size and is now better for families but they crapped on what the TSX was about. 32k? No way in hell. Is it a bad car?

I do agree on the interior. I did find the dash very very solid but the materials were way to similar to the Civic or Accord.

Seems it is another solid Honda/Acura drive. They don't really make a poor driving car.

Old 04-29-08, 07:44 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

same thing. It's not vastly different from the TSX.
Old 04-29-08, 07:52 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The horsepower war.

You know, in the past few months we've been looking at vehicles like the X6 with a turbo V8 and goin when does the amount of horsepower in cars become superflous. But then I look at Acura and go hmmm....maybe you could borrow some of that power from BMW?
Old 04-29-08, 08:02 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

1hp increase...nuff said
Old 04-29-08, 08:06 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
But, before you go and sign on the dotted line for either a new 2009 or a leftover 2008 model, check out the new Honda Accord V6 coupe or sedan for the same money....or less. The new Accord, in my experience, gives you a larger car, more engine for the same money, an equally refined drivetrain, equal or better fit/finish, better steering feel (especially in the EX-L coupe), and good handling by FWD standards.
Thank you for the review Mike!

I am not that shocked that you said the above mentioned quote.

Honda has gone far and beyond expection with their products: the Accord is great, the Civic and Fit sell like hotcakes, and the CR-V is the best selling SUV in the U.S.

Although the TSX is entry-level, I do think it's too "cheap" for Acura, and further downplays the luxury status of Acura. I don't mind that it has an I-4 engine with FWD drivetrain (I know lots of people expect a RWD V6 in luxury cars), but I do mind when the TSX offers nothing that an Accord can offer for the pricepoint.

In comparison, Lexus and Infiniti offer the IS250/350 and G35/37, which cannot be compared to any product in the Toyota and Nissan model lineup respectively (well, the 350Z is a downgraded G35...). Perhaps Acura should follow the ideology for their luxury nameplate...
Old 04-29-08, 08:10 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaydee
1hp increase...nuff said
Actually it was a 4 HP decrease.
Old 04-29-08, 08:10 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Thank you for the review Mike!

I am not that shocked that you said the above mentioned quote.

Honda has gone far and beyond expection with their products: the Accord is great, the Civic and Fit sells like hotcakes, and the CR-V is the best selling SUV in the U.S.

Although the TSX is entry-level, I do think it's too "cheap" for Acura, and further downplays the luxury status of Acura. I don't mind that it has an I-4 engine with FWD drivetrain (I know lots of people expect a RWD V6 in luxury cars), but I do mind when the TSX offers nothing that an Accord can offer for the pricepoint.

In comparison, Lexus and Infiniti offers the IS250/350 and G35/37, which cannot be compared to any product in the Toyota and Nissan model lineup respectively (well, the 350Z is a downgraded G35...). Perhaps Acura should follow the ideology for their luxury nameplate...
Acura's management is just ghey. They BLAME the RSX for image problems b/c it has an I-4 (and is a ricer favorite) and what do they do? Rename the "EL" to "CSX" in Canada and then bring us now 2 generations of I-4 TSXs. So their strategy is I-4 coupes are not luxury but I-4 sedans are?

Quite frankly the NSX should be pissed these cars share a similar name.

WHY IN THE HELL THEY DON'T JUST LET THE AMERICAN TEAM WHO DID THE LAST GENERATION TL RUN ACURA IS BEYOND ME.

Old 04-29-08, 08:24 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great review, good read.

Wow 32k for a TSX... Do you think TSX is worth it over an IS250awd? I got mine for 30k and I'm blown out of my mind anyone would want a TSX for that money other than the Acura fans and people who need more leg room in the back.
Old 04-29-08, 08:30 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Acura's management is just ghey...

WHY IN THE HELL THEY DON'T JUST LET THE AMERICAN TEAM WHO DID THE LAST GENERATION TL RUN ACURA IS BEYOND ME.
Acura needs to realize that the Acura nameplate is for the American market alone, and needs to appeal to American luxury standards.

Yes, the European Accord is nice enough for Europeans; it can be defined as a luxury car over there. However, changing the badge to say TSX does not make it a luxury car over here.

The TL is a great product (because it knows what Acura consumers want). I hope the next gen TL excels much more than the TSX.
Old 04-29-08, 09:44 PM
LexFather

Old 04-29-08, 10:03 PM
Matador
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Exterior is bleh and the interior is meh...Acura needs to step it up...like hard.
Old 04-30-08, 12:11 AM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

bad styling and bad parking FTW!!!

Is it just me or do the front resemble Optimus Prime from the movie?
Old 04-30-08, 04:52 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

You may be the only reviewer that sees the lack of keyless ignition as a minus. Why does everyone else hate it?

Quick Reply: Condensed Review: 2009 Acura TSX