Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Accident - advice requested

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-08, 12:23 PM
omaha_lex
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accident - advice requested

Hey guys, I think I mentioned this before but I was rearended in my Mini in January 2007 by a friggin' Highlander not paying attention on the interstate. Total tab was about $6k since I insisted on the best bodyshop in town.

Anyways, now that I am selling my car I have received phone calls from a few prospects that want nothing to do with it once they find out it has been in an accident (I'm honest about it when asked). This really, really sucks since it was not my fault.

So, the question is, if I have to succomb to the pressure and lower the price yet again to offset this, do I have any recourse against the other driver's insurance company? I was dumb and did not realize this when I was still dealing with them, partly because I had never been in a major accident before. The car still drives perfect but people seem to hear the flaw and run away. Like I said, I have just been honest about it when asked, but I'm not sure if it even shows up on the Carfax (the "free" check says "3 records found"... idk... anybody here able to look it up for me?). I'm just really discouraged right now, so any advice would be greatly appreciated
Old 04-30-08, 12:28 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

it may or may not be in CARFAX -- but I'd still be honest and tell the prospective buyer(s). Tell them you're willing to take it to any mechanic for a PPI (at their expense or pay a portion of it).
Old 04-30-08, 01:22 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if i remember correctly, if the claim/repair amount is over 500, insurance will report it and it will be on carfax.

if the accident is not that bad, just say someone rearended you before, but engine, frames and everything are totally fine.

well.. it sucks but what can you do, unless you find some sucker that doesn't check the background..
Old 04-30-08, 01:31 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can not go after the other party or the company for lost of value.
It sucks.
6K damage will be reported in the Carfax, but I would suggest you to get a Carfax report just to make sure.
You don't have to tell the buyers about the detail of the damage, just say you got rearend, hopefully you can get by with it.
Good luck.
Old 04-30-08, 03:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Maybe, in your situation, the best thing is to trade it in on whatever new car you want and take what the dealership will give you. That way, you won't have to fool around wasting time with people who aren't serious about it or who just come out and run away. If it drives decently, you will get at least some fair money for it. You also won't have to worry about who is going to drive home on who's license plates.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-30-08 at 03:43 PM.
Old 04-30-08, 04:27 PM
omaha_lex
Pole Position

I wish that I could do that! But I bought my Acura CL last October so I don't need a replacement car for the Mini and the motorcycle dealer won't trade it for an '08 Ninja 250R

I still have some prospects in the works, and keep getting new calls, so hopefully someone will fall in love with it as I did two years ago...

I guess I just wish that some sort of additional compensation could be granted by the other driver's insurance co. I might give it a shot, as it can't hurt to ask (after all, I didn't complain of any injuries or other bogus claims).

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Maybe, in your situation, the best thing is to trade it in on whatever new car you want and take what the dealership will give you. That way, you won't have to fool around wasting time with people who aren't serious about it or who just come out and run away. If it drives decently, you will get at least some fair money for it. You also won't have to worry about who is going to drive home on who's license plates.
Old 04-30-08, 06:15 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A co-worker of mine was rear ended a few years ago. After the car was repaired, he filed a claim with the other's driver's insurance company for what they called a "deminished value" claim. He had an adjuster come out and take a look at the car, along with getting 2 or 3 appraisals (carmax, etc). He ended up getting a check for about $2,300.

Google "deminished value" for more info.

Then, wholesale the car. Along with the check, you should make out well.

Good Luck!
Old 04-30-08, 09:47 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It may be too late to go back for diminished value. Usually when you sign off on your repairs there is a clause saying you release the insurance company from any more claims. Check your paperwork from the accident.
Old 04-30-08, 09:49 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MD350
Google "deminished value" for more info.
I haven't run both searches, but I suspect that "diminshed value" will turn up more, and more relevant hits.
Old 05-01-08, 04:25 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
You can not go after the other party or the company for lost of value.
It sucks.
6K damage will be reported in the Carfax, but I would suggest you to get a Carfax report just to make sure.
You don't have to tell the buyers about the detail of the damage, just say you got rearend, hopefully you can get by with it.
Good luck.
You could have tried at the time of the accident, but if all liability has been wrapped up, you probably can't now. I'm trying to settle an accident now, and my insurance company told me I can try to claim separately against the other driver's company, and they can do an appraisal to see what kind of reduction in market value the accident caused. Many insurance co's don't pay it.
Old 05-01-08, 05:40 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Iceman
I haven't run both searches, but I suspect that "diminshed value" will turn up more, and more relevant hits.
Spelling was never my best attribute.
Old 05-02-08, 02:06 PM
omaha_lex
Pole Position

Thanks for your advice guys... I'll try to contact the other driver's insurance to see if they are willing to even meet me halfway, but I definitely don't have my hopes up. However, I didn't sign anything other than the claim check, if that makes any difference. Anyways, I have 4 interested parties lined up for a test drive over the next week, so wish me luck! Its a sweet car, and someone will get quite a deal on an '06 Cooper S for $18k compared to kbb retail of $24k... I WANT MY NINJA!!! Death on 2 wheels! lol, jk
Old 05-02-08, 02:15 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by omaha_lex
Thanks for your advice guys... I'll try to contact the other driver's insurance to see if they are willing to even meet me halfway, but I definitely don't have my hopes up. However, I didn't sign anything other than the claim check, if that makes any difference. Anyways, I have 4 interested parties lined up for a test drive over the next week, so wish me luck! Its a sweet car, and someone will get quite a deal on an '06 Cooper S for $18k compared to kbb retail of $24k... I WANT MY NINJA!!! Death on 2 wheels! lol, jk
I don't see how the insurance company is going to even consider meeting you halfway, considering this all happened over a year ago.
Old 05-02-08, 04:06 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
You could have tried at the time of the accident, but if all liability has been wrapped up, you probably can't now. I'm trying to settle an accident now, and my insurance company told me I can try to claim separately against the other driver's company, and they can do an appraisal to see what kind of reduction in market value the accident caused. Many insurance co's don't pay it.
we don't