Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

By CL Request: mmarshall Acura TSX/Lexus IS250 comparison

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-08, 02:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default By CL Request: mmarshall Acura TSX/Lexus IS250 comparison

By CL member request, a brief 2008 Lexus IS250 - 2009 Acura TSX Comparison

I received a few requests from CL members who are seriously interested in both the IS250 and TSX and seem to be a little hesitant between the two of them, not knowing quite which way to lean. There are, of course, many reviews and comparisons in the auto magazines and in forums, but those of you who PM'ed me or made other requests specifically asked for my observations and opinions on the two cars. So, I'll do that here. I've already reviewed or driven the 2008 TSX, the 2009 TSx, and all of the versions of the new IS, including the IS-F, so I don't
need to repeat or rehash entire reviews over in detail. The specific requests were for a TSX / IS250 comparison, so I will generally limit it to a broad, general comparison between the two and then give my general recommendation.

http://www.lexus.com/models/IS/

http://www.acura.com/index.aspx?init...toVideoGallery

(Special thanks to Mike, "1SICKLEX" for these TSX shots; there was almost nothing easily downloadable on Google for the 2009)

In a Nutshell: More than just Tweedledee-Tweedledum......these are two substantially different cars.

OVERVIEW:

Both the IS250 and TSX are marketed and sell in what is known as the "Entry-Level" range for Luxury/Sport sedans, generally in the 30-40K range. Both are based on other Toyota/Honda platforms that are sold overseas but not in America, and rebadged with Lexus and Acura nameplates.
Two trim lines of the new TSx are offered, Base and Technology Package. Base models, in either manual or automatic, start out around 29K, and Tech models, manual or automatic, around 32K. Few factory options are offered, except for dealer accessories, and most of the available equipment is standard on one of those two trim levels, so not many TSX models will sell for much more than about 33-34K with taxes. Only 4-door sedans are offered. One engine, 2.4L 4, is offered, and two transmissions....a close-ratio 6-speed manual and a 5-speed Sportshift automatic, with the sport-shift function being only with shift-paddles. Only FWD versions are offered.....no AWD.

The IS250 line comes with RWD manual, automatic, and AWD versions, and with one engine, a 2.5L V6. IS 250 RWD manual versions start, with freight, around 31K: IS250 RWD automatics around 32K, and IS250 AWD automatics (the is no AWD manual) around 35K. The manual is a 6-speed; The automatic, a 6-speed Sportshift with sport-shift functions being either in the lever or paddles. Like the TSX, only 4-door sedans are offered, but the IS back seat is virtually unusable for adults...more on that below. Unlike the TSX, IS250 models have a broad selection of optional sport and premium packages, so their list prices for loaded models could be substantially higher than for the TSX.

Both Acura and Lexus have roughly the same warranties, roadside assistance, etc... Both cars have a well-deserved reputation for reliability, both in Consumer Reports and J.D. Power. Both appear to be quite well-built, with no noticeable defects on any of the ones I looked at. The TSX is slightly larger than the IS in physical size.

Now for more invividual differences between the two cars.

EXTERIOR:

Since styling is mostly a matter of individual and subjective taste, I'll not get into that, and concentate on the objective differences. The IS250 is slightly smaller on the outside than the TSX and would probably be a little easier to park. Both cars have excellent paint jobs, with a slight edge to the IS....Lexus generally leads the industry in slick paint jobs. Both have good-quality sheet metal; the TSX may get a slight edge here, and for door solidness. Both have precision-aligned body parts, with very small panel gaps. Both have good-quality exterior hardware....I'll give a slight edge to the TSX. Paint color choices on both cars are rather dull but classy. Neither car has very high ground clearance from the low body panels and fairly low-profile tires (the 55-series option tires for the IS, unfortunately, are gone). Both come with Xenon HID headlights. Both cars
are relatively devoid of side trim/mouldings and have a lot of plain sheet metal.

UNDERHOOD:

The TSX has a much better engine fit under the hood, with a lot more room to get to things for Do-It-Yourselfers, but suffers from a cheap, awkward, prop-rod for the hood that is clearly out of place in this class of car. The in-line 4 fits in sideways and has a plastic cover that is large but does not obsure very much. The hood itself is solid, but closes with a vibration and a cheap "tink" sound.

The IS250 has nice gas struts to hold up the hood, but, once you get the hood open, these isn't much you can do but stare at the sardine-can fit of the longitudinal-mounted 2.5L V6 and the big plastic panels that block almost everything but the barest essentials. Forget just about anything but checking the oil and filling one or two fluid containers. Like the TSX, the IS250's hood, though well-made, does not shut with a particularly solid thunk.

INTERIOR:

Big plus to the IS250 here....except for shoulder room and the rear seat. The TSX, though with superb interior fit/finish on last year's 2008 version, has seriously cheapened the trim on the 2009 interior. The IS 250, though with a lot of plastic parts, has a much higher level of finish, with polished wood trim on the console and noticeably smoother, nicer leather than the TSX. Both cars have comfortable front seats, well-designed and clear gauges, well-done buttons and controls, and powerful heat/AC systems....Lexus, in particular, has a reputation for strong climate control. The IS250 has conventional buttons for the NAV system; the TSX, a dash-controller ****. The TSX shifter has a slicker feel, but no sport-shift mode....you use the column paddles for that. The IS250's shifter is not as slick and is zig-zagged, but allows auto-manual shifts, along with the paddles, too.

The TSX, however, scores points for more width inside than the IS250, and for a much more usable rear seat.....the IS250's rear seat is fit only for children and very small adults, where the TSX can carry medium size adults. Headroom in both cars is compromised somewhat by the sunroof, but tall adults can fit in front if the seat is lowered all the way. Both cars have excellent stereos.

CARGO AREA/TRUNK:

Both are well-finished, and come with nice carpeting, but the IS carpeting is a little nicer than the TSX's. The IS trunk also comes with the traditional Lexus first-aid kit. Both trunk lids are compromised a little by the slant to the rear roofline, but are still big enough to get in all reasonable-size luggage. The TSX has full fold/down rear seats, with remote releases, for added cargo room; the IS uses a smaller pass-through for long items. Both had temporary spare tire/wheel assemblies under the floor at the start of the year's production run....that may (?) or may not change later to a bottle of Fix-A-Flat.

ON THE ROAD:

The two cars are quite different on the road. The Lexus starts up with a button, the TSX with a conventional side-column ignition switch. Both engines idle smoothly and quietly and have adequate power on the road for normal driving. The TSX's 2.4L in-line four has about the same response as the RWD IS250's 2.5L V6....the size and power ratings are fairly close. The IS250 AWD, however, with the extra weight/drag of AWD and the standard automatic, was noticeably more sluggish....probably too much so to be considered a sport sedan. Both transmissions are slick, smooth, quiet, and shift crisply. The ride/handling setup, however, on the two cars was much different. The TSX, with its 50-series tires, had a softer and more compliant ride, less steering response, more body roll, and, of course, more understeer with the nose-heavy FWD, though still it was not sloppy at all by FWD standards. It wins in the comfort department. The IS250, particularly the RWD version, was more sport-sedan-like with the stiffer suspension and lower-profile 40 or 45 series tires. It had less understeer, quicker response, and less body roll than the TSX, but, conversely, suffered a noticeably harsher ride over bumps and pavement imperfections. It wins in the sporting department. The AWD version, of course, combines some of the features of both FWD and RWD, but, with the same low-profile tires and more unsprung weight than the RWD version, keeps the same still ride over bumps. The AWD helps overall road grip even more in some forms of cornering, and, of course, has its obvious benefits in bad weather....at a cost in acceleration and gas mileage. (Both the TSX and IS350 use premium gas). The TSX's engine is more efficient...it has close to the IS250's power, but gives several more MPG ratings. Both cars are well-sealed and have little wind noise. There is some thumping noise over bumps in the IS. The TSX has noticeably less road noise this year than in last year's version. Brakes are excellent in the IS, though the pedal has a little sponginess at first. The TSx's brake pedal is firm and responsive at low speeds, slightly less firm and responsive as speeds climb, but still good, with no problems. Neither car's brake or gas pedals had any hang-ups with big feet/shoes like some cars so.

THE VERDICT?

Though aimed at more or less the same place in the pecking order of the automotive marketplace, these two cars are notably different, with different
personalities. The TSX is probably a better family vehicle, offering a softer ride, less-aggressive handling, more room inside, more room in the trunk, and, with the less-smooth leather and cheaper trim inside than the IS250, more resistance to parental cardiac arrest from spilled drinks, ice-cream cones, etc..... It is the better of the two for long-distance trips and long hours on the road, and the FWD and all-season tires will give reasonably good traction in bad weather. Its selling price, in many cases, will also be less than that of the IS250, for families with strapped budgets. It is also easier for do-it-yourselfers under the hood, for those who don't want to pay shop labor rates.

The IS, conversely, is a smaller, more aggressive-driving car, though its V6 engine doesn't put out much if any more response than the TSX's four. Its chassis/suspension/tires are more suited for smooth-surface twisties than for the freeway or rough roads. It lacks the family room the TSX has, particularly in the rear seat, but has a better-finished interior. It is more a car for singles or couples who don't carry people in back. But it is uncomfortable over bumps and would probably be more tiring on a long trip. The RWD, of course, is not suited for slick roads, although that problem can be dealt with in the AWD version, at the cost of some acceleration and gas mileage. The IS, in most configurations, will cost more out the door than the typical TSX. And if you want to do your own underhood work.....forget it. Take it to the shop.

So there you have it. I hope that gives you guys a good overview of both cars and helps you make your decision. If you have any specific questions,
fire away.

Happy shopping.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-01-08 at 06:30 PM.
Old 05-01-08, 02:57 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks Mike.

Although both base cars are similarly priced, they both serve different functions.

Your review will help a lot of people decide which is more appropriate for their needs. As much as I love the 2IS, it may be more beneficial to get the TSX depending on necessity...
Old 05-01-08, 03:00 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

As much as I like the TSX, the interior doesn't look as elegant and nicely built as the IS.
Old 05-01-08, 03:03 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just can't get over the ugly face on the new TSX.

My vote goes to the IS. RWD wins my vote everytime.
Old 05-01-08, 03:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSteg
As much as I like the TSX, the interior doesn't look as elegant and nicely built as the IS.
For the 2009 TSX, that is true, but the 2008 TSX had superb interior fit/finish, particularly the beige/wood trim. I'd like to plant my size-15's up the rumps of people at Acura who decided to dump that interior for the cheap, painted silver/gray plastic in the new one....although the new interior, to its credit, DOES offer more room inside and has less road noise.
Old 05-01-08, 03:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bruce van
I just can't get over the ugly face on the new TSX.
Don't be suprised to see some aftermarket grilles pop up to replace the stock one. Your opinion is not alone.
Old 05-01-08, 04:34 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bring out the TSX and IS diesel.
Old 05-01-08, 04:59 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

The new TSX interior screams plastic. even the center console area looks like it came out of an econo box
Not even REAL wood trim is available
Old 05-01-08, 05:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tuan92129
The new TSX interior screams plastic. even the center console area looks like it came out of an econo box
Not even REAL wood trim is available
Never mind real wood.....even the fake stuff is no longer available. It went out the end of 2008 model.

Yes, the new TSX interior is a disappointment, trim-wise, but the good side is that it is roomier, quieter, and more comfortable to ride in. The old car had much better interior trim but also had closer quarters, more road noise, and a stiffer ride.
Old 05-01-08, 05:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by STIG
Bring out the TSX and IS diesel.
A diesel may be coming for the TSX. Acura is mum about it, but there have been some rumors and leaks. I didn't put it in my write-up, though, because there is nothing official.

(We can also depend on Gojirra99 or 1SICKLEX to post it if/when it's official. Almost nothing gets past those two)
Old 05-01-08, 05:27 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Very well said re: TSX vs. IS 250. Although my experience is with the previous gen TSX, based on that I completely agree with the conclusion, the TSX is a more family-friendly vehicle, while the IS is more aggressive and has a better finished interior. From my perspective, if Lexus infused the IS with more room and a more absorbent ride, they would have an even bigger hit on their hands. The new TSX, I'm not sold on the looks, the old one was nicer IMO.

Thanks for the comparo!
Old 05-01-08, 05:30 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Love that Matador Red and the X-Package!! The IS250 kills the TSX on looks alone. On practicality, not so much.
Old 05-01-08, 05:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by encore888
Very well said re: TSX vs. IS 250. Although my experience is with the previous gen TSX, based on that I completely agree with the conclusion, the TSX is a more family-friendly vehicle, while the IS is more aggressive and has a better finished interior. From my perspective, if Lexus infused the IS with more room and a more absorbent ride, they would have an even bigger hit on their hands. The new TSX, I'm not sold on the looks, the old one was nicer IMO.

Thanks for the comparo!
Sure. Anytime.

Lexus DID have a more absorbant ride with the old 2001-2005 IS and its 55-series, all-season tire option (I know....I owned one). Though harsher-riding 45's were standard on the old one, you weren't stuck with them....you could opt, as I did, for the no-cost 55-series option. No more. Lexus did away with that on the current-generation IS model, starting in 2006. But the nice thing about the new IS250, that was missing from the old, is, of course, the AWD option.....something I strongly wished for on the old one and never got.

The old TSX interior, as I've pointed out above, was much better than the new one in trim quality, but the new one is superior in comfort, except for the annoying ridge on the lower-left dash for some tall people.
Old 05-01-08, 05:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Love that Matador Red and the X-Package!! The IS250 kills the TSX on looks alone. On practicality, not so much.
Well, for practicality, the new IS does have the AWD option for slippery roads, although its low-profile semi-high-performance tires are not well suited for winter. Still, it will probably meet or exceed the TSX's winter traction.

But, for hauling peoiple and cargo, I agree with you.............the IS, particularly the back seat, is no Suburban,

The Matador Red paint job is indeed gorgeous. Lexus needs to offer that color on the LS460 and LS600H, which they have not yet done. Their finest paint job should go on their finest cars.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-01-08 at 05:54 PM.
Old 05-01-08, 06:17 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Never mind real wood.....even the fake stuff is no longer available. It went out the end of 2008 model.

Yes, the new TSX interior is a disappointment, trim-wise, but the good side is that it is roomier, quieter, and more comfortable to ride in. The old car had much better interior trim but also had closer quarters, more road noise, and a stiffer ride.
From the pictures, it seems like really lacks the refinement and amenities you would expect from a entry level luxury car. You could buy a Honda Accord SE or Camry XLE with lots of interior room, and possibly a better ride quality than the TSX with all the new tech gadgets in it too. It seriously looks like a rebadged Honda Accord (well it is..)

Quick Reply: By CL Request: mmarshall Acura TSX/Lexus IS250 comparison