Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti 1 Series Competitor (G25 debuts)

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-10, 03:52 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
sport sedan = sporty 4 door. Sporty 4 door= 4 doors= 4 passengers

ISX50 = 2 adults. Its more like a coupe with extra doors to lower insurance. Its the closest thing Lexus has to a coupe imho .LOL
it really is. i saw in one and it felt like it had the same amount of backseat leg room as my friend's 328 coupe.
Old 08-15-10, 08:58 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Captain Save a Nissan. No one at all said having space is a bad thing? Care to twist any more words? I've stated over and over the G37 is the best value around.

People still beating up the IS over rear seat room after 5 years on the market is beating a dead horse.
Kinda like people still beating up the Q45 after 5 years off the market, eh?

Btw, do you have any evidence to support your theory that the IS is "more nimble" than a G37 based on its size? just curious as if you had anything to back up those claims.
Old 08-15-10, 09:09 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
Kinda like people still beating up the Q45 after 5 years off the market, eh?

Btw, do you have any evidence to support your theory that the IS is "more nimble" than a G37 based on its size? just curious as if you had anything to back up those claims.
The Q45 is a great example of what not to do for a flagship, thus people talk about it today. Its a shining example of failure and relevant to conversations of new D class flagships. Any other red herring argument you want to bring up today?

Thanks for logging back into CL to argue in another Nissan thread. This was about the G25 but people are bringing up the IS backseat for whatever reason.

The IS is smaller, it has less mass, to me it feels more nimble. The G37 has better steering feel but its larger. You can disagree, I don't care.

However doesn't matter you will just login to argue and spin numbers and words.

Old 08-15-10, 10:49 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The Q45 is a great example of what not to do for a flagship, thus people talk about it today. Its a shining example of failure and relevant to conversations of new D class flagships. Any other red herring argument you want to bring up today?

Thanks for logging back into CL to argue in another Nissan thread. This was about the G25 but people are bringing up the IS backseat for whatever reason.
It probably has to do with the fact that the G37 routinely outsells the ISX50 and that the backseat room of the IS (or lack there of) may be one of the primary reasons for this. It is 100% completely relevant to this thread.

What's amazing to me is that the G was able to achieve this substantial lead over the IS with only *1* engine choice, meanwhile the IS has offered *2* since 2006. Adding a second engine choice will only increase the G's dominance over the IS in this class.

The same can be said of the Infiniti M's dominance over the GS. It was close for awhile, but the market has clearly spoken. The majority of the buying public chooses Infiniti over Lexus in both the RWD entry level class and the RWD mid level class. Hopefully Lexus will be more competitive with the upcoming 4GS.. we shall see.
Old 08-16-10, 09:30 AM
LexFather

It probably has to do with the fact that the G37 routinely outsells the ISX50 and that the backseat room of the IS (or lack there of) may be one of the primary reasons for this. It is 100% completely relevant to this thread.

What's amazing to me is that the G was able to achieve this substantial lead over the IS with only *1* engine choice, meanwhile the IS has offered *2* since 2006. Adding a second engine choice will only increase the G's dominance over the IS in this class.

The same can be said of the Infiniti M's dominance over the GS. It was close for awhile, but the market has clearly spoken. The majority of the buying public chooses Infiniti over Lexus in both the RWD entry level class and the RWD mid level class. Hopefully Lexus will be more competitive with the upcoming 4GS.. we shall see.
This was about the G25. You have logged into CL and jumped all over the place in this thread from the IS backseat to the Q45 to now the GS?

Let me make this as simple as possible again.

1. The IS is not Lexus volume sedan. The ES is. The G37 is supposed to outsell the IS. The G37 is their volume car.
2. Guess what it did not or barely did. The IS far surpasses sales goals. Both sell around each other.
3. The G37 is 60% of Infininti's volume. They might as well rename the brand the G37. You better pray it sells.
4. The G37 sells on price. It is a tremendous VALUE. You can lease a G37 for $319 a month. You can't even get an IS 250 or a 328 or A4 for that price. The G35/37 has always been a low lease price dream.

Its not dominance. The G37 sells on its lower price, period. Hell the IS has beat the G35 in comparos lol. Your disdain for the IS has you mixing up facts. You continue to harp on the IS backseat. I haven't even harped on the G37 shortcomings. We all know the IS has a small backseat. I can easily say people prefer the IS or other cars over the G37 as it is as refined as a 20 year old SR20 swapped out 240SX. However I am not talking about what the car can improve on.

Now you have jumped onto the M37/56 vs GS? Are you serious? You again leave out the fact Infiniti has always heavily discounted the car and leased the car for relative peanuts. The GS never had those advantages. Yes its sportier, who cares. I've seen more GSs at the track than M35/45s lol. The new M37/56 is not selling very well, only 50% of the volume of the M35/45 first years sales. That is concerning. They are already discounting the car like mad and leasing it at $579 a month.

Anything else you are going to jump to to try to imply Infiniti superiority? The HS? LX? SC?

I have an idea. Why don't you help Infiniti build the Essence instead of posting here. I enjoyed my time in the LFA.

Old 08-16-10, 11:10 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

I'd be happy to talk about what Infiniti does/has done right as well as what it does/has done wrong but this thread isn't the place. How bout a new thread?
Old 08-16-10, 11:35 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by speedflex
I'd be happy to talk about what Infiniti does/has done right as well as what it does/has done wrong but this thread isn't the place. How bout a new thread?
Feel free to start one. This thread was about the G25 until people starting harping on the IS backseat

Old 10-06-10, 09:19 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Arrow AutoBlog

Thanks to years of dedicated work and impressive engineering, Infiniti has earned a reputation for being the "Japanese BMW." Like the German automaker, Infiniti's U.S. entries are decidedly more performance oriented, but the brand's decision to install the naturally-aspirated 2.5-liter V6 in its G Sedan had us wondering if things were changing... and not for the better.

Here's the background: For Infiniti to continue expanding its U.S. sales, the company's marketing department listened to some important feedback from their dealers. Specifically, some buyers – particularly those of the fairer persuasion – thought the standard 328-horsepower V6 in the G Sedan was just too much. Scary, even. So... no sale. After hearing what its white-knuckled customers wanted, the company decided to add a less powerful G Sedan to its U.S. lineup. Easy peasy.

The decision didn't take much soul searching or re-engineering, as Infiniti sells this exact same product in China. The G25, with Its 2.5-liter VQ engine, is otherwise nearly identical to the larger 3.5- and 3.7-liter versions we've seen here in the U.S. Additionally, fans of the Japanese domestic market version of this sedan, called the Skyline, know that the earliest version of the VQ25 engine hit the home market in 2006, and that it's no boat anchor, that's for sure.

So, for buyers who want the G Sedan but not every ounce of its sporty goodness, the VQ25VHR completes their bingo card. Compared to the former standard engine of the G Sedan line, the bore and stroke have been reduced to displace 2.5 liters, but the block is the same. Important features like double-overhead cams, four valves per cylinder and variable cam timing (in-phase intake and exhaust) are retained. The only missing modern miracle is variable intake valve lift, a feature standard on the larger engine.

Horsepower totals 218 at 6,400 rpm, with peak torque of 187 pound-feet at 4,800 rpm. Redline remains at a lofty 7,500 rpm, a figure that helps earn the motor its Very High Rev (VHR) moniker. We doubt those Rs will be enjoyed very often by timid drivers slogging their way to work, but there's always hope.

The smaller engine bolts to the same seven-speed automatic as its big brother, and all remaining driveline and chassis components are identical between the G25 and base G37 models (including brakes and tires). So close are the vehicles that curb weights tips in favor of the G25 by less than 100 pounds. Given the car's intended audience, Infiniti's six-speed manual isn't available.

The drop in displacement bumps economy up to 20 miles per gallon in the city and 29 mpg on the highway from the G37's 19/27 mpg figures. The G25's highway figure makes one wonder what it would have taken to reach a more promotable 30 mpg, or something even higher. It seems that giving up 110-horsepower would justify a greater mpg gain.

Because it basically is the G37 we've come to know and love, though, the G25 feels very familiar, except slower. How slow? To be honest, we don't know.

Driving around the tourist infested vineyards of Napa, CA didn't allow us the opportunity to perform any instrumented testing (we didn't have the equipment and the local sheriff would have frowned on the activity), but our calibrated backside estimates the G25 to be a mid-seven second 0-60 mph sprinter – about two seconds slower than a G37 fitted with an automatic. For buyers moving up from a four-cylinder compact or mid-size sedan, the G25 will still feel quick, but not as impressive – or apparently scary – as the G37 can be.

Laying into the throttle moves the car off the line smartly and the seven-speed quickly swaps one cog for another. The revs build cleanly and smoothly, but anyone who's driven a G37 will miss the 82 pound-feet of torque normally twisting the driveshaft to rocket you from apex to apex.

Braking, steering and handling performance remain pure Infiniti – always impressing – and in the G25, driving to preserve momentum becomes the challenge. The 17-inch aluminum wheels wrapped in all-season rubber are capable playmates, gripping with eager tenacity.

Behind the wheel, the be-buttoned, be-wheeled and otherwise be-dazzled dash interface takes some getting used to. Give it an hour (while parked) and you'll get the hang of it. What won't ever be acceptable is the center LCD. The G25 gets a low-resolution display that lacks contrast and clarity. Glare is also a major problem, and for some inexplicable reason, the navigation package that's optional on the G37 isn't offered. Too bad, because its upgraded screen is crisp and bright.

This engine and electronic decontenting will set you back $30,950 – a price drop of about $2,800 from last year's base G37 sedan, already recognized as a winning value proposition. Two additional G25 models are on sale now: the G25 Sedan Journey ($32,350) and the G25x Sedan AWD ($33,950). The base price includes standard features such as Xenon headlights, leather seating, eight-way power driver's seat, automatic climate control and a comprehensive electronic stability control system, so while the engine might not have as much pep, there's plenty of luxury to keep your mind off easy-does-it acceleration.

So how does the 2011 G25 compare to the "always the benchmark" BMW 3-Series? The base 2010 328i retails for $33,150, and while BMW has the power edge with 230 horsepower without a meaningful difference in mpg (28 highway), and even with the Value Package BMW now includes at no extra cost, the G25 still bests the Bimmer on the features front, offering things such as an extra gear in the transmission and Xenon lamps for more than $2,000 less.

Apparently, Infiniti's value proposition even works in the case of slower motion.

Old 10-06-10, 09:35 AM
LexFather

I do want to sell my car for a goat as everyone and their momma has a G35/G37 and now Infiniti slapped tri-spoke wheels like the GS 450h. It already looked like a more bulbous GS. Now it has the same wheels

Sigh.....(looks for CPO goats for sale)

Old 10-06-10, 02:40 PM
jason60050
Driver

The G25 is a joke...trying to capture the IS250 business...little too late.
Old 10-06-10, 02:51 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jason60050
You may want to do a little research.
Old 10-06-10, 04:39 PM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't understand what do you mean by "The G25 is a joke"???
Old 10-06-10, 09:00 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

If anyone needs to worry it's going to be Acura guys. I can see the thing stealing sales from the TSX. The new TSX wagon I don't think will be boosting sales for Acura.
Old 10-07-10, 01:28 AM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

The Infiniti G with only (1) engine choice, routinely outsells the Lexus IS with (3) engine choices. I can only imagine how much Infiniti will increase that sales lead over the IS with the the new G25. As speedflex suggested, you might want to do a little research.
Old 10-07-10, 05:12 AM
LexFather

The Infiniti G with only (1) engine choice, routinely outsells the Lexus IS with (3) engine choices. I can only imagine how much Infiniti will increase that sales lead over the IS with the the new G25. As speedflex suggested, you might want to do a little research.
And for the 500th time the two companies strategies are different. The "G" is Infinti's VOLUME CAR with it being 60% of its sales. In contrast the IS is one of 3 entry level cars for Lexus with the ES being their volume selling sedan.

You can lease a G37 for around $300. You can't even lease an IS 250 for that amount. I can only imagine the lease on a G25.

Both cars have done exceptionally well for each brand. The G37 is SUPPOSED to outsell the IS.

The G25 is a smart move by diversifying the lineup though as I stated before i worry about G37 cannibalization. The G37 is simply one of the best all around sedan values around.

Last edited by LexFather; 10-07-10 at 05:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Infiniti 1 Series Competitor (G25 debuts)