Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti 1 Series Competitor (G25 debuts)

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-08, 05:23 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Wink Infiniti 1 Series Competitor (G25 debuts)

Infiniti Wants a 1 Series Competitor
Posted May 1st 2008 2:29PM by Damon Lavrinc

Infiniti is gearing up for its entrance into Europe, but something's missing from its lineup: a small car. With BMW's 1-series being a popular choice for badge-obsessed consumers abroad, Infiniti needs something similar to solidify its place in the luxury hierarchy, but what form it will take is unclear.

According to Autocar, Infiniti insiders are planning to unleash something that aims to compete with the Audi A3 and BMW 1-series, but unnamed sources at Infiniti are quick to point out that the shape will be something entirely different than what's currently being offered by its competitors. The two options, according to Autocar, include a smaller crossover that would slot in below the EX35 or a hardtop convertible. Whatever it looks like, expect the new B-class Infiniti to be revealed sometime in 2010.

Last edited by GS69; 05-01-08 at 05:29 PM.
Old 05-01-08, 07:23 PM
LexFather

^^^ Yeah I reported that a couple months ago. It would help in Europe, where small cars and diesels/fuel efficiency helps.

I think it would make a good Infiniti, as they have a sporting platform they use in all their vehicles in the FM. Keep the 350Z wheelbase but make it more useable.

Old 05-01-08, 07:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Well, twice, here in America, they had the G20, essentially a reworked Sentra, and twice they dropped it. Maybe the third time will be the charm.....although with its Lexus and BMW competitors having engines from 2.5L to 3.5L, I'm sure we'll see something larger than the 2.0L from the last G20. With gas prices where they are, however, that might work against too large an engine for it.
Old 05-01-08, 07:51 PM
rsantiago
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If they release with a RWD, keep the weight under 3500 pounds, 2.5 to 3.0L I think it'll be a winner.
Old 05-02-08, 09:30 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

I doubt the car will do well initially. The European market is very tough to crack. Audi, BMW and Mercedes have a very strong hold and presence on this market. People with money don't really want to try a different car - and if they do they switch from Audi to BMW or Mercedes or Mercedes to Audi or BMW (etc.): the proven brands. The brands with a name.

Infiniti might play all their cards right, but who in Europe has heard of Infiniti? Who wants to shed out money for a car from a brand with no name when the BMW 1-Series is a proven sports sedan from a brand with a name? Who wants to buy this car where there is no real dealer network? Questions like these are the ones Europeans ask themselves before taking the plunge.

It should be said that the Audi A3 is also a very popular compact sport hatch here. It's also available in Quattro form if you don't want the stock FWD setup.

Anyway, for Infiniti to at least have a chance they need smaller gas engines. A 2.0 is fine, but a 1.6 or 1.8 would also be a welcome addition. Then they need diesels, and lots of them.
Old 05-02-08, 09:38 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, twice, here in America, they had the G20, essentially a reworked Sentra, and twice they dropped it. Maybe the third time will be the charm.....although with its Lexus and BMW competitors having engines from 2.5L to 3.5L, I'm sure we'll see something larger than the 2.0L from the last G20. With gas prices where they are, however, that might work against too large an engine for it.
The G20 was about as ridiculously lazy and as blatant as badge engineering got, even for that day and age where badge engineering was a much sloppier process to begin with.
Old 05-02-08, 10:46 AM
2SwiFt29
Lexus Test Driver

now Infiniti wants in? Lexus wanted in to..

i can't picture myself paying $41,000 for a fully loaded 1 series.. so small and expensive.. i hope Infiniti and Lexus aren't gonna charge that much for a small car.. A3's pricing is decent though..
Old 05-02-08, 11:39 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

LOL..The trend setting has begun I think the Infiniti version of the 1 series will be hot if they stuff it with the 3.7 V6
Old 05-02-08, 01:39 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
The G20 was about as ridiculously lazy and as blatant as badge engineering got, even for that day and age where badge engineering was a much sloppier process to begin with.
I thought the first G20 was its own design, not a re-badge?
now the 2nd yes ---- Sentra.

also - the first G20 got rave reviews....so they changed it and cheaped out and nobody bought it.
Old 05-02-08, 02:01 PM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

I agree totally with this statement, because the gas price over there in Europe is not cheap, plus they have some more strict regulation rule regard to emission. So Infinity should come out with something small.
Old 05-07-08, 06:52 PM
LexFather

I can't believe they even do this lame crap and people get excited with it.

Blurry Images of Infiniti 1-Series Fighter Surface

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/0...rface/

While Jonathan's shots of the new 370Z were seductively cryptic, these newest images from CAR do more to confuse than enlighten. CAR was attending a presentation by Nissan design chief Shiro Nakamura, and with their camera phone at the ready, snapped off a few shots of Infiniti's upcoming small sports car that looks more like Hans Solo in carbonite than a swoopy coupe.

The Infiniti two-door is expected to debut sometime later this year in concept form, and is poised to take on the BMW 1-series in the compact coupe segment. The shape, even in the grainy pic, is decidedly different from anything else in its class, with a long hood and a cab-backward design that has plenty of potential.

CAR also grabbed a shot of the Nissan 370Z, which appears to get some seriously styled wheel arches and a steeply raked windshield. But according to the Brit buff book's sources, the new Z will take several cues from the GT-R when it's unveiled later this year at the Los Angeles Auto Show.

[Source: CAR]

Old 08-11-10, 06:06 PM
LexFather

POssibly to debut this month...

http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1...nfiniti-teaser

Along with the G37 F-sport competitor IPL (I Prefer Lexus)

Old 08-11-10, 06:53 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Another silhouette tease from Infiniti? I have to say that's pretty lame and a waste of time.
Old 08-11-10, 06:56 PM
LexFather

Not sure what this car is but there have been rumors of a 2 seater based off the 370Z for awhle. I don't think its the Leaf rebadge but I could be wrong.

Unless they actually have the ***** to build the Essence like Lexus did with the LFA.

Old 08-11-10, 07:06 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

From the teaser it definitely looks a lot like a 370Z. Then again, a lot of Infiniti and Nissan models look the same.

Quick Reply: Infiniti 1 Series Competitor (G25 debuts)