Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

US Gas prices vs other countries

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-08, 12:21 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by marshmallo
What are YOU talking about? 3.80/.12 = 31.67

I can also buy a gallon of water for less than $2.00 at the store...
Why would you take the price of gas/gal and divide it by the price of water/gal? What is that showing???

You can simply say for a gallon of each gas is $3.68/gallon more expensive. Not sure what 31.67 means...
Old 05-02-08, 12:31 PM
cHiTwNGS43
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
100% agreed.

Each of us reducing our personal consumption won't bring down prices, but it will at least mean we're spending less than we would otherwise.
Ha...bitkahuna...at least some americans understand the economics. So many people base all their assumptions on politics and media.
Old 05-02-08, 12:40 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
Why would you take the price of gas/gal and divide it by the price of water/gal? What is that showing???

You can simply say for a gallon of each gas is $3.68/gallon more expensive. Not sure what 31.67 means...
Gas is about 30 times more expensive in MA (3.80) than in Venezuela
(0.12c).

Plus, there are those filtered water places that charge about 0.25c a
gallon anyways...

It's half of THAT in Venezuela
Old 05-02-08, 12:41 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
Yeah, my water bill at home is around $40 every 3 months here on Long Island! That's after using HUNDREDS of gallons of water over those 3 months (showers, clothes washes etc etc)! Whereas I just filled up my car about 1 hour ago at a rate of $4.19/gal. Forgive me Bit but I am a little confused as well!
Evian????

http://www.evian.com/
Old 05-02-08, 12:43 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by marshmallo
Gas is about 30 times more expensive in MA (3.80) than in Venezuela
(0.12c).

Plus, there are those filtered water places that charge about 0.25c a
gallon anyways...

It's half of THAT in Venezuela
Got it! Now that makes sense. For some reason I thought I read the $.12 being the price of water/gallon or something; that's why I got confused. I understand your calc now you are comparing gas prices to gas prices!
Old 05-02-08, 12:49 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
We have all these hybrids on the roads now and our fuel consumption is up? Oy.

I'd be so bold as to say that any V8 sold in the U.S. must have a variant of active fuel managment in an effort to reduce fuel consumption nationwide.
all these hybrids??? what, the Prius and what else???

as of 2006, there was 135,399,945 million registered passenger cars in the US (250,000,000+ total registered vehicles). So you think the Hybrids's tiny numbers (roughly 100,000 units a year) are enough to make a difference?

worldwide, Toyota has sold 1,188,255 hybrids worldwide from 1997 through September 2007; of that total, the Prius account for 72%, or 851,228, according to figures released by Toyota.

The second best-selling hybrid is the Harrier/Rx400h, with combined global sales of 97,125 units, followed by the relative newcomer Camry Hybrid, with 79,122 units sold.

The GS 450h accounts for 10,995 of the hybrids sold, while the newest additions, the LS 600h and 600 hL, have racked up 5,064 units—the majority of those in Japan.

from 2006...

Toyota Prius — 48,156 units
The second oldest hybrid on the market, the Prius is also the most widely known, and it shows. The sedan is far and away the market leader, with sales that account for nearly 50 percent of the hybrid segment.

Toyota Highlander Hybrid — 18,127 units
Introduced in June 2005 for the 2006 model year, the Highlander Hybrid is new, but that hasn't stopped it from shoring up an impressive fan base. Toyota's second hybrid outsold older hybrid SUVs like the Ford Escape to cruise into the No. 2 spot.

Honda Civic Hybrid — 15,755 units
The prudent Civic has an even more prudent sibling: the Civic Hybrid. It was the second best-selling hybrid in the nation last year, but thus far, 2006 finds it taking the bronze.

Lexus RX 400h — 11,193 units
Based on the popular RX 330, the RX 400h was the first luxury hybrid SUV. Luxury clearly has its supporters. The ute was the third best-selling hybrid last year, and this year it maintains its foothold in the upper reaches of the sales chart.

Ford Escape Hybrid — 10,190 units
Ford proved that SUVs can be green, too, when it introduced the Escape Hybrid, the nation's first hybrid SUV, back in 2001. Five years later, the compact ute continues to rack up impressive sales.

Toyota Camry Hybrid — 7,386 units
Toyota continues its domination of the hybrid segment with the Camry Hybrid. The sedan has only been on the market since May, but it's off to an exceptional start. Sales figures for May and June are second only to those of the Prius.

Honda Accord Hybrid — 3,245 units
Equipped with a V6, the Accord Hybrid was the first hybrid built with driving enthusiasts in mind. Fuel economy suffers, though; the car gets about the same mileage as a four-cylinder Accord. Perhaps that's why sales have been somewhat disappointing.

Mercury Mariner Hybrid — 1,461 units
Introduced for model-year 2006, the Mariner Hybrid shares the Escape Hybrid's basic structure, platform and powertrain, but seeks to offer a more upscale driving experience via a more stylish exterior and a luxurious cabin. Thus far, it hasn't been nearly as successful as its twin.

Lexus GS 450h — 525 units
Introduced just a couple of months ago, the GS 450h is the nation's first luxury/sport sedan hybrid. Its powertrain offers V8 power paired with the fuel economy of a small V6.

Honda Insight — 489 units
The Insight is the hybrid that launched the segment; it's also the one that gets the best mileage. Sadly, its tight quarters and less-than-brisk horsepower prevented it from finding mainstream success. The Insight was discontinued in September 2006; Honda plans to introduce a new hybrid-specific model in 2009.

Last edited by bagwell; 05-02-08 at 12:54 PM.
Old 05-02-08, 02:39 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

marshmallo, my bad, apologies... I misunderstood your post.

What I meant is given that all that must happen to get a gallon of gasoline, it's amazing how cheap it is. And compared to some fancy bottled water (not tap water or bulk cheap water from the supermarket), gasoline can be less expensive. And let's see, is milk now more expensive than gas? Starbucks coffee certainly is!
Old 05-02-08, 05:39 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

marshmallo, my bad, apologies... I misunderstood your post.

What I meant is given that all that must happen to get a gallon of gasoline, it's amazing how cheap it is. And compared to some fancy bottled water (not tap water or bulk cheap water from the supermarket), gasoline can be less expensive. And let's see, is milk now more expensive than gas? Starbucks coffee certainly is!
Hey Bit no probs, I'm completely stressed out and doing mad calculations in
my head, so it seems I'm not being clear like I should as the previous posts
show.

I do understand the point that it's cheap here compared to MOST other
places. I was just shocked at the Venezuela number because I always
thought it was cheapest in the Middle East at around 0.50 a gallon...

Oh yeah and it sucks financially to be addicted to Starbucks like I am
Old 05-02-08, 06:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Each of us reducing our personal consumption won't bring down prices, but it will at least mean we're spending less than we would otherwise.
Depends on what you mean by "each of us". If you mean just the few of us discussing the issue in this thread, then no, it won't bring down prices. If you mean the 75,000 members of CL, probably no as well. But......if you mean hundereds of millions of Americans altering their driving and car-buying habits to bring down gasoline demand on a significant scale, then yes, I think it would affect prices, even though much of the traditional supply-and-demand pricing for crude oil on the world market has been transferred to the hands of powerful speculators that wildly bid prices up for frivolous reasons. But still, if demand falls off enough, eventually they won't be able to sustain their relentless bidding any longer....and prices will come down.