Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2009 and 2010 for Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-08, 02:46 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 and 2010 for Lexus

OK, so all the US car mags this month have devoted most of their issues to the upcoming significant cars for car enthusiasts. Some of the European mags list dates for upcoming models. BMW, MB, and even Audi are going to be rolling out quite a few new models in the next two years. Meanwhile, nothing of any interest coming for Lexus. The price of gas and the US slowdown might not be the only things Lexus has to worry about for the next couple of years.
Old 05-04-08, 03:01 PM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

The secret to Lexus/Toyota quality/reliability is to come out with a model and run it for 7-10 years and not making any improvements along the way.

Toyota is not one to make changes that often. I guess that is why they tend to be more reliable. If you build the same thing for 10 years, quality/reliability should go up.
Old 05-04-08, 03:10 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sdbrandon
The secret to Lexus/Toyota quality/reliability is to come out with a model and run it for 7-10 years and not making any improvements along the way.

Toyota is not one to make changes that often. I guess that is why they tend to be more reliable. If you build the same thing for 10 years, quality/reliability should go up.
Well, I hope that formula does them good going forward. They have had things their way with the hybrid versions of the GS and LS. While those were not developed for efficiency, the world has changed. According to one of the reports in Autocar, the new E class is getting a diesel hybrid with 50+mpg performance. I doubt I would want to drive an MB, even one with that mileage from a small diesel and hybrid, but it will be out there. Lexus will have to contend with new E class, 5 series, A6, 7 series and that big bimmer four door coupe thing at a minimum. And while I will agree with you that the enthusiast mags are only Lexus enthusiasts on reliability, but they sure aren't spending print on either Toyota or Lexus models to get excited about. Teething problems with some of the newer Lexus models hasn't helped but I still think that the indications are there for Lexus to not be enthusiastic on their own for the next couple of years. Maybe some of that vaunted Toyota/Lexus corporate performance should get to work shortening development and cycle times?
Old 05-04-08, 03:17 PM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

A lot is timing too. Lexus came out with the IS-F and it is just a memory now.

Since then, BMW for example released

M3 coupe, Sedan, vert,
X6
128/135
535 sedan/wagon

All Lexus could do was an IS-F.

The 5 and X5 diesels will be here by years end too.

MB has an ML diesel coming as well.

Even Audi is making heads turn with the R8 and S5.
Old 05-04-08, 03:17 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I would rather have long product runs with cars that have been essentially debugged by the time they hit the streets than the old US 'Big Three' policy of brand new models every 3 years or so that were always in the debugging process. The Japanese method makes for better cars for John Q. Public and more stable prices for everyone. That works for me.
Old 05-04-08, 03:19 PM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Evitzee
I would rather have long product runs with cars that have been essentially debugged by the time they hit the streets than the old US 'Big Three' policy of brand new models every 3 years or so that were always in the debugging process. The Japanese method makes for better cars for John Q. Public and more stable prices for everyone. That works for me.
I think that is the point. Other makes are improving quality because it should not be a function of model run length. Or we would still be using casette decks which I believe is still in some lexus models.

If quality is achieved by incorporating obsolete technology, no thanks.

I want to buy a new car. Not a new old car.
Old 05-04-08, 03:24 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Of course the other issue is that some of the models coming out have been in development for a while and they might have a tough time in this market as well. But if reliability isn't the overriding purchase making decision for you, Lexus isn't going to have anything appealing for a while. Maybe they can pull something off, like an ESh, but Toyota isn't known for quick anything.
Old 05-04-08, 03:34 PM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RON430
Of course the other issue is that some of the models coming out have been in development for a while and they might have a tough time in this market as well. But if reliability isn't the overriding purchase making decision for you, Lexus isn't going to have anything appealing for a while. Maybe they can pull something off, like an ESh, but Toyota isn't known for quick anything.
Recent studies show over 50% of all luxury cars are leased. 3 out of 4 BMWs are leased.I don't think people care about reliability as that is what the warranty is for during the lease term. They want new, gadgets, design, fun, etc.

None of the complex luxury cars from any brand are worth keeping long term. They are too expensive to repair. And they all need repairing.

The LS is most likely leased most of the time as well. I doubt the buyer of an LS cares it is reliable. They like to comfort and styling I guess.
Old 05-04-08, 04:17 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RON430
OK, so all the US car mags this month have devoted most of their issues to the upcoming significant cars for car enthusiasts. Some of the European mags list dates for upcoming models. BMW, MB, and even Audi are going to be rolling out quite a few new models in the next two years. Meanwhile, nothing of any interest coming for Lexus. The price of gas and the US slowdown might not be the only things Lexus has to worry about for the next couple of years.
That may be true.

However one other caveat is that Lexus is more secretive than the Euro makes when it comes to new product releases. You will get more leaks, more spyshots with the competition.

If all goes well, 2009-2010 should see...
Lexus new hybrid model
Lexus IS coupe/convertible
Lexus RX third generation successor

We'll see...
Old 05-04-08, 04:43 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as I know the next two years will include:

refreshed IS
IS Coupe/ Targa convertible...a la LF-C
new RX
new GX
new 7 seat crossover/wagon
dedicated Lexus hybrid
LF-A
refreshed ES

Not too bad if you ask me. Yeah BMW has the X6 but it's also a reskin of an existing platform and low volume. Not that big of a deal IMO. 1 series will be a huge seller I'm sure and it could close the gap with Lexus on sales for BMW. New X3 is around the corner too.

Mercedes? GLK, new E class, and A/B class.

Everyone seems pretty well set in the next few years IMO.
Old 05-04-08, 06:57 PM
Diemellz
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301

refreshed IS
new RX
new GX
dedicated Lexus hybrid
LF-A
refreshed ES

Not too bad if you ask me. Yeah BMW has the X6 but it's also a reskin of an existing platform and low volume. Not that big of a deal IMO. 1 series will be a huge seller I'm sure and it could close the gap with Lexus on sales for BMW. New X3 is around the corner too.

what about the SC
Old 05-04-08, 08:55 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Diemellz
what about the SC
Most likely discontinued.

Also, the IS (sedan) should get a refresher...
Old 05-04-08, 09:02 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,441 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Originally Posted by Evitzee
I would rather have long product runs with cars that have been essentially debugged by the time they hit the streets than the old US 'Big Three' policy of brand new models every 3 years or so that were always in the debugging process.
But Lexus has shown some models that WEREN'T debugged when they hit the streets like the major bucks they've spent dealing with wind noise on the LS and problems with the ES and endless creaks, squeaks and rattles on the GS.

Sure Lexus GETS THERE a couple of years into the model run, but they're hardly debugged when launched.

As for an 'old Big Three' policy - things have certainly changed there too, dramatically.
Old 05-04-08, 09:07 PM
LexFather

A lot is timing too. Lexus came out with the IS-F and it is just a memory now.

Since then, BMW for example released

M3 coupe, Sedan, vert,
X6
128/135
535 sedan/wagon

All Lexus could do was an IS-F.

The 5 and X5 diesels will be here by years end too.

MB has an ML diesel coming as well.

Even Audi is making heads turn with the R8 and S5.
All they could do is the IS-F? Acura and Infiniti don't have one. It is the most tested Lexus/Toyota product in history. It wasn't even supposed to happen. For a first effort, it has fared very well in comparisons. Its such a threat, BMW and Benz lowered their prices to try to smother the IS-F.

You also forgot the LX 570. You are also comparing the year Lexus has LIMITED products out when the last 3 years, they have come out with new product after new products. Let me freshen your memory
IS 220d, 250, 300, 350
GS 300, 350, 430, 450h, 460
LS 460, 460L, 600h, 600h L
ES 350
RX 350, RX 400h
GX refresh
Pebble Beach editions.

This is a slow year for Lexus, after 3 years of new concepts and new models.

What? Lexus has always refreshed after 3 years, each model.

They also have learned to keep things more fresh, with more engine changes and updates than before. The Lexus of today is NOT the Lexus of 1990.

Old 05-04-08, 09:10 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MPLexus301

refreshed IS
new RX
new GX
dedicated Lexus hybrid
LF-A
refreshed ES

Thank you.

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Most likely discontinued.

Also, the IS (sedan) should get a refresher...
SC will not be discontinued. No Lexus has ever been discontinued.

The SC has always ran long (too long most would say) and a new SC will come.

Quick Reply: 2009 and 2010 for Lexus