Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Should Lexus start offering 4 cylinder engines in their lineup?
Yes - It's time for Lexus to start offering 4 cylinder engines
32.82%
No - Lexus should keep their lineup 6 cylinder or higher
67.18%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Should Lexus start offering 4 cylinders?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-08 | 08:50 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Consider something else. Compared to 10-15 years ago, engines have grown tremendously, that includes four, six and eight cylinders. I'm not trying to make a comparison between 60's domestic carbeurated crap, or garbage that GM, Ford and Chrysler were producing in the 90ies. I'm talking about respectable Japanese and European brands.

For example:

90ies Civic = 1.5 and 1.6 inline 4, now replaced with 2.0 inline 4.

Early 90ies Camry V6 = 2.5L. Today its 3.5L. The current 4 cylinder Camry is virtually the same displacement as the old V6.

Acura Legend started out with a 2.5 or 2.7 V6. Now its up to 3.7 liters in the upcoming refresh.

Nissan is producing a 3.7 V6 as well, which is now only in g37c, but will find its way into more cars soon.

MB's mainstream V8 is now 5.5.. their V12 used to be of that displacement. In fact, the 5.5 V8 is the smallest V8 MB has in production.

Basically all engines have grown in size. The current standard for a mainstream V6 is 3.5-3.7 liter, which is damn near the 4.0 standard for a V8 of a decade ago.

Now notice something else - most of these engine make more HP than torque. Thats because of their bore to stroke ratio, they are making engines with wider bore, which allows to add displacement without having to decrease redline, and sustain torque at high RPMs which in turn allows to produce more horse power. It is nice and all, but it makes for peaky engines. If these engine were to be designed to produce more torque, they would have to have longer store and smaller bore, resulting in rougher running, lower revving engine, similar to crappy GM's retired 3.8 V8. Now, instead of compromising like this, why not just add cylinders and make smoother, more balanced out V8 with more proportiona bore/stroke ratio, that produces more HP and torque, without reducing the fuel economy. I am personally fond of ~.5liter per cylinder theory (I believe BMW likes this ratio as well). So, in my view, the optimal displacement for a 6 cylinder is 3.0L, and no smaller than 2.5L and no larger than 3.5L. Look at 4.0 V8 1UZ, it has .5L per cylinder, and its the smoothest engine of its time bar none... still one of the smoother engines out there. Look at 3.0 i6 2JZ, it also has .5L per cylinder, and its probably still the worlds smoothest 6 cylinder. Also note that both 1UZ and 2JZ have almost identical HP/TQ ratios.

Now as far as 4 cylinders, they are already not smooth by default. In order to produce a 4 cylinder acceptable for a heavy luxury car, it would have to produce decent torque, and the only way to achieve that is to increase its displacement and design it with longer stroke. Which, like I already said, will decrease its red line and make it even less smooth. Or, you can go the turbo diesel route, which is even worse. So, anyway you look at it, a 4 cylinder just doesnt belong in a Luxury car. For isntance, I recently drove my friends Saab 9-5 with 2.x turbo four, and the way that engine starts, sounds, and runs reminded me of my old 1995 Honda Civic. Let me make it clear, when a so called Luxury car reminds you of a 1995 Honda Civic IT IS NOT A GOOD THING, PERIOD!

With all of that being said, I think Lexus should use make more small V6 engines availabe across the entire line up. For instance they could make GS250, and heck, maybe even add a hybrid option to the 2.5 and make IS/GS300h. And heck, even make LS350/450h and SC350/450h, instead of them having only V8 option. But please, no 4 bangers, leave them for Toyota.

Last edited by Och; 05-06-08 at 02:44 AM.
Old 05-05-08 | 08:54 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Oh yeah, another thing to consider. If Lexus were to start offering four cylinders, what should they focus on, better fuel economy or bringing the cost of the car down? Because if its for fuel economy, then they wont be able to do much better than a small V6 anyway, and if its to bring down the cost, then it will indeed cheapen the brand.
Old 05-05-08 | 10:45 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
Consider something else. Compared to 10-15 years ago, engines have grown tremendously, that includes four, six and eight cylinders. I'm not trying to make a comparison between 60's domestic carbeurated crap, or garbage that GM, Ford and Chrysler were producing in the 90ies. I'm talking about respectable Japanese and European brands.

For example:

90ies Civic = 1.5 and 1.6 inline 6, now replaced with 2.0 inline six.

(inline 6 in a civic?) no foolin'?

Early 90ies Camry V6 = 2.5L. Today its 3.5L. The current 4 cylinder Camry is virtually the same displacement as the old V6.

Acura Legend started out with a 2.5 or 2.7 V6. Now its up to 3.7 liters in the upcoming refresh.

Nissan is producing a 3.7 V6 as well, which is now only in g37c, but will find its way into more cars soon.

MB's mainstream V8 is now 5.5.. their V12 used to be of that displacement. In fact, the 5.5 V8 is the smallest V8 MB has in production.

Basically all engines have grown in size. The current standard for a mainstream V6 is 3.5-3.7 liter, which is damn near the 4.0 standard for a V8 of a decade ago.

Now notice something else - most of these engine make more HP than torque. Thats because of their bore to stroke ratio, they are making engines with wider bore, which allows to add displacement without having to decrease redline, and sustain torque at high RPMs which in turn allows to produce more horse power. It is nice and all, but it makes for peaky engines. If these engine were to be designed to produce more torque, they would have to have longer store and smaller bore, resulting in rougher running, lower revving engine, similar to crappy GM's retired 3.8 V8

(it was a V6.....) And in reality, not a bad V6 at all, especially supercharged.

Now, instead of compromising like this, why not just add cylinders and make smoother, more balanced out V8 with more proportionate bore/stroke ratio, that produces more HP and torque, without reducing the fuel economy. I am personally fond of ~.5liter per cylinder theory (I believe BMW likes this ratio as well). So, in my view, the optimal displacement for a 6 cylinder is 3.0L, and no smaller than 2.5L and no larger than 3.5L. Look at 4.0 V8 1UZ, it has .5L per cylinder, and its the smoothest engine of its time bar none... still one of the smoother engines out there. Look at 3.0 i6 2JZ, it also has .5L per cylinder, and its probably still the worlds smoothest 6 cylinder. Also note that both 1UZ and 2JZ have almost identical HP/TQ ratios.

(They did after the 1uz got VVT-i )

Now as far as 4 cylinders, they are already not smooth by default. In order to produce a 4 cylinder acceptable for a heavy luxury car, it would have to produce decent torque, and the only way to achieve that is to increase its displacement and design it with longer stroke. Which, like I already said, will decrease its red line and make it even less smooth. Or, you can go the turbo diesel route, which is even worse. So, anyway you look at it, a 4 cylinder just doesn't belong in a Luxury car. For instance, I recently drove my friends Saab 9-5 with 2.x turbo four, and the way that engine starts, sounds, and runs reminded me of my old 1995 Honda Civic. Let me make it clear, when a so called Luxury car reminds you of a 1995 Honda Civic IT IS NOT A GOOD THING, PERIOD!

With all of that being said, I think Lexus should use make more small V6 engines available across the entire line up. For instance they could make GS250, and heck, maybe even add a hybrid option to the 2.5 and make IS/GS300h. And heck, even make LS350/450h and SC350/450h, instead of them having only V8 option. But please, no 4 bangers, leave them for Toyota.
ten chars..
Old 05-05-08 | 11:22 PM
SiccMonkey
Driver
CL Folding 1M

actually Lexus has a 4 banger scheduled to enter the marketplace around 2009, the LF-Ch
Old 05-06-08 | 12:04 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SiccMonkey
actually Lexus has a 4 banger scheduled to enter the marketplace around 2009, the LF-Ch
Hehe, that was an April Fool's joke.
Old 05-06-08 | 12:15 AM
SiccMonkey
Driver
CL Folding 1M

Originally Posted by encore888
Hehe, that was an April Fool's joke.
wow im an idiot, lol
Old 05-06-08 | 02:44 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by litesoarer
ten chars..
Yeah, typo on that civic.
Old 05-06-08 | 04:20 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Think outside the box.

....Remember it used to be everything V8. That means performance and prestige. Look where that got us.
there ya go...at least someone has the right idea!!

my audi tt with a 2.0 liter 4 + turbocharger goes just fine thank you.....and about 35mpg in mixed driving is great!
Even in the A4 this powerplant is more than sufficient.

you guys really need to drop this big engine american mentality....you want $10/gallon gas?.....even if you CAN afford it, you're killing america
Old 05-06-08 | 04:38 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bagwell

you guys really need to drop this big engine american mentality....you want $10/gallon gas?.....even if you CAN afford it, you're killing america
Maybe it will never change. This is why I laugh so hard when I here the stories of arogant guys who think that they can destroy a Legacy GT because they have more cylinders, not realizing that this thing called a turbo does a lot for a four cylinder.
Old 05-06-08 | 05:07 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

You do indeed bring up some good points but I have to disagree with this:

Originally Posted by UDel
Done right a 4 cylinder can be just a quick, powerful, and smooth as a smaller 6 cylinder
Just as powerful? yes. As quick? Yes. But, no 4 cylinder can ever be made to feel as smooth and quiet as a 6 or an 8. That throttle response torque cannot be replaced with a 4.
Old 05-06-08 | 05:52 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Just as powerful? yes. As quick? Yes. But, no 4 cylinder can ever be made to feel as smooth and quiet as a 6 or an 8. That throttle response torque cannot be replaced with a 4.
so with your (adjective deleted here) philosophy you'd think less of an IS250 with a turbo-4 with 30 more hp than the current 2.5 6cyl?

how about 50? 60? 70?
Old 05-06-08 | 06:11 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Och
Because if its for fuel economy, then they wont be able to do much better than a small V6 anyway, and if its to bring down the cost, then it will indeed cheapen the brand.
Didn't you see where I posted that the A4 is Front or All Wheel Drive form is faster and gets better gas mileage no matter what tranny when compared to the IS250?

To the issue of smoothness, I don't find the BMW 3.0L all that smooth. Yet, people continue to buy it without complaint. If anything, the 2.7L T we had in our A6 was more of a refined, pleasant engine.
Old 05-06-08 | 06:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Well, they are inline fours, just placed in the engine bay differently. I guess they are classified as straight fours. But most four cylinders are placed sideways and only work for FWD configuration, ie; Camry, Accord, Corollas, Civics, etc.
No, not just FWD. Many AWD vehicles have transverse-mount engines as well, but it involves more complexity with extra hardware and gears.
Old 05-06-08 | 06:53 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No, not just FWD. Many AWD vehicles have transverse-mount engines as well, but it involves more complexity with extra hardware and gears.
Which is why Subaru is special, because they avoid all that business.
Old 05-06-08 | 06:57 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Acura, Audi, Saab have potent smooth 4 bangers in their line up.
Perhaps Lexus should seek help from Lotus to develop an Elise based sportscar. This car can be added to the Lexus "F" line up...Heck, the Elise has the old Celica's 4 banger.. Build it!

Quick Reply: Should Lexus start offering 4 cylinders?