Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Should Lexus start offering 4 cylinder engines in their lineup?
Yes - It's time for Lexus to start offering 4 cylinder engines
32.82%
No - Lexus should keep their lineup 6 cylinder or higher
67.18%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Should Lexus start offering 4 cylinders?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-08 | 07:25 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Acura, Audi, Saab have potent smooth 4 bangers in their line up.
Perhaps Lexus should seek help from Lotus to develop an Elise based sportscar. This car can be added to the Lexus "F" line up...Heck, the Elise has the old Celica's 4 banger.. Build it!
Old 05-06-08 | 07:50 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bagwell
so with your (adjective deleted here) philosophy you'd think less of an IS250 with a turbo-4 with 30 more hp than the current 2.5 6cyl?

how about 50? 60? 70?
I guess you didn't read my post, or at least didn't understand it so I'll repost it, here:

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Just as powerful? yes. As quick? Yes. But, no 4 cylinder can ever be made to feel as smooth and quiet as a 6 or an 8. That throttle response torque cannot be replaced with a 4.
In case you missed it, I was talking about "refinement" not power or acceleration.

Again, NO 4 cylinder could EVER match the smoothness and quietness of a 6 or an 8.
Old 05-06-08 | 08:06 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

I guess you didn't read my post, or at least didn't understand it so I'll repost it, here:

In case you missed it, I was talking about "refinement" not power or acceleration.

Again, NO 4 cylinder could EVER match the smoothness and quietness of a 6 or an 8.
From a pure mechanical point I agree 100%. However, from an automotive engineering point you can do a lot to hide that lack of natural smoothness that I4s lack compared to V8s and I6. A good harmonic balancer and good engineered engine and trans mounts goes a long way. You can practically isolate any engine vibration from any engine mounted. The engine itself may not be as smooth, but you will never feel it in the car. Part of the reason Lexus cars and other luxury cars are so smooth is because of the V8 and also because of the well damped engine mounts. Notice how often you have to replace these items on such cars compared to many 4 bangers?

For example. Ever drove an old LS400 that needed new engine and trans mounts? Notice how much vibration you feel in the car. Have it changed and notice how smooth it becomes again?
Old 05-06-08 | 08:09 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

I can beat that --

no 6 or 8 cylinder could ever match the smoothness or quietness of a 10 or 12.........

Last edited by bagwell; 05-06-08 at 08:22 AM.
Old 05-06-08 | 08:20 AM
Shawnmack
Racer

Well since everybody wants to put a 4-banger in a Lexus how about putting 4-Bangers in Ferraris, Lambos, Maybachs and Bentleys.
Old 05-06-08 | 08:23 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Shawnmack
Well since everybody wants to put a 4-banger in a Lexus how about putting 4-Bangers in Ferraris, Lambos, Maybachs and Bentleys.
yeah and how about a Lotus Elise or Exige?...oh wait...
Old 05-06-08 | 09:45 AM
LexFather

yeah and how about a Lotus Elise or Exige?...oh wait...
I am going to say this one final time. Everyone DROP the Lotus out of this argument. We are talking about luxury cars.

The Lotus weighs what 1900 lbs? A 4 cylinder is more than enough for the car.

Notice how even with the Espirit, they moved from a turbo 4 to a V-8.

EVeryone stop being so defensive about I-4s in general. No one here has stated they are poor engines.

The market shows, history has shown what the majority here feel, that an I-4 in a luxury car muddies things.
Old 05-06-08 | 09:47 AM
LexFather

I can beat that --

no 6 or 8 cylinder could ever match the smoothness or quietness of a 10 or 12.........
You proved the exact point. A car with more cylinders will be smoother than one with less cylinders. Thus an I-4 is okay, a V-6 is smoother then a V-8 is smoother, than a V-10 is smoother to a V-12 to the Bugatti Quad turbo W16.

Did anyone read what I said about the 210hp V-8 town car?
Old 05-06-08 | 10:18 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I am going to say this one final time. Everyone DROP the Lotus out of this argument. We are talking about luxury cars.

The Lotus weighs what 1900 lbs? A 4 cylinder is more than enough for the car.

Notice how even with the Espirit, they moved from a turbo 4 to a V-8.

EVeryone stop being so defensive about I-4s in general. No one here has stated they are poor engines.

The market shows, history has shown what the majority here feel, that an I-4 in a luxury car muddies things.

ok. so do we have to leave the AUDI A4 2.0T out of it too???????????????

is that not luxury??? (2009 = 211bhp + 258lb ft torq + 18% better mpg)
Old 05-06-08 | 11:25 AM
RXSF

lol dont bring in audi. they are the only brand in the top tier/second tier area that still uses a 4. and notice how poorly (compared to lexus, merc, bmw) they are doing in the market.

anyways, thought id join in on the fun. lexus should stay away from 4 cyl engines, but put more efficient V6s. the latest 3.5l V6 is the perfect example of power and efficiency and smoothness. Most notable in the camry and ES350, 270 horsepower and still mid-high 20s hwy mileage is probably best in class. So, all they have to do is refine that engine so thats its even more efficient.

its very possible with the latest gas craze that car makers are going to start making their cars more efficient, and this will continue to happen whether or not I4s are used.

image if everthing to a luxury brand. im just going to use lexus and toyota as an example. Notice how luxury cars usually get the "better" or everything, from power, to features, to materials. Well notice how those non luxury cars are getting bluetooth, ipod integration, nav, heated seats, all seen in the new nissans, toyotas, and hondas. for god sake, even the highlander now has more features than the RX. Whats left for luxury cars? i mean besides image, theres nothing really left for luxury cars to have, except power. the engine is still the main difference. If we put a 4 in the ES, then the gap between the camry will be ever closer. its just not a smart move.

Last edited by RXSF; 05-06-08 at 11:28 AM.
Old 05-06-08 | 11:37 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

^^ Stop with the tier 1,2,3 crap already. Drive an Audi 2.0 4 cyl. in A4 or TT form or even the Acura TSX, RSX(discontinued) then get back to me.
Old 05-06-08 | 11:44 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

The funny thing is most people who are buying these luxury cars don't know or don't care whats under the hood. The ES for Lexus, C Class for Mercedes, 3 Series for BMW are all the bread and butter sales cars for the manufacturer. Most of these buyers don't know an oil dip stick from a transmission dip stick (Well, if the cars have them at all now days). The gas and go and take their car to the dealership for maintenance. I really can't see how a 4 cylinder will ruin the prestige and image of the brand in the mainstream market as long as the engine produces results. Only on the internet forums or in the magazines it may suffer a prestige and image problem. The C230 4 cylinder was probably the best selling car in the C Class during its time.

Then there is the point about who really cares about image and prestige of the brand? Its just a car. Nothing more, nothing less. If the car itself is a good/great car, that is all that matters. Now, I realize that many in the public don't agree and actually buy cars simply because its from a certain manufacturer even if there are better cars out there, but those people aren't really into cars anyway.
Old 05-06-08 | 11:45 AM
RXSF

let me just point out those who are against the 4 in a lexus have mainly pointed out that its not the engine thats the problem, its the image. image is everything to a luxury brand, and without it, its not longer a luxury brand. lets face it, a 4 just doesnt scream, "this was worth the extra premium".

face the facts of reality. V6s and above are for luxury cars, I4s are reserved for (i dont even know the word for non luxury) cars. the image of an I4 doesnt fit with the image of a luxury car. period.

you bring in a good point about not knowing the engine. I mean ill be honest, i take my car to the dealership. i dont have the time, nor experience, nor trust in myself to do the job. Im not a professional, and to tamper with something i use everyday, im not gonna risk it.

on the other side, they will probably know that difference between the V6 and an I4. from personal experience, i think people still think that a V6 car is "the shiznit". My dad for instance who doesnt know much about cars can still appreciate the V6 for what it is.

Last edited by RXSF; 05-06-08 at 11:49 AM.
Old 05-06-08 | 11:51 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

According to Wiki:

Luxury vehicle

The term luxury vehicle is a marketing term for a vehicle that provides luxury in exchange for increased cost. The term suggests a vehicle with more equipment, performance or prestige — or other discretionary feature or combination of features beyond strict necessity.

The term may be applied to any body style — from minivan to convertible, crossover or SUV — and to any size vehicle, from small to large.

Though widely used, the term is broad, highly variable, ambiguous and abstruse. The term lacks measurability and verifiability — and may reflect a wide range of a vehicle's design or marketing features, including construction, comfort, equipment content, technological innovation or brand image — but always provided at a level beyond strict necessity and at higher cost.
Old 05-06-08 | 11:53 AM
RXSF

i dont know of any luxury minivan. some half naked guy at his computer wrote that

and XLE Sienna is no luxury vehicle. thats fact. lol

Quick Reply: Should Lexus start offering 4 cylinders?