Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Top 10 Cars Driven by Women:

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-08, 10:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
And also suprised that Yaris hatch is not on the list, maybe they cinsider hatch and sedans together, and then there are more men driving sedans?
I can't see myself in a Yaris, it is too CUTE for me.
What many men dislike about the Yaris (and I'm one of them) is the center-stack gauges. Automakers are going to have to learn that there are some places they can cut costs and some places they can't.
Old 05-06-08, 10:43 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
My hat's off to them........it shows they usually aren't as concerned as men about keeping up with the Joneses.
Have you seen their shoes and handbags? They may not care about keeping up with the Joneses when it comes to cars, but when it comes to shoes and handbags all bets are off. How do you think I justify spending $3500 on rims, $2500 on a pool cue, $1000 here and there for Car Audio/Video gear? It's because they spend just as much in the end on their own stuff
Old 05-06-08, 11:56 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Some of the vehicles on that list seem odd and it is even odder that other vehicles are not on that list. I always see woman driving Volkswagen Beatles and the new Volkswagen Jetta is huge among girls, I have a couple ex girlfriends who have one, don't recall seeing any guys behind the wheel of any new Jettas I have seen on the road. I see mostly woman driving Avalons, RAV4, and Corrolas too as well as Scion TC coupes. I also see RXs and SC430 being driven by predominantly woman and just about every IS250 I have seen on the road is driven by a fairly young woman. I see alot of base engine BMW 3 series and C class and CLK hatchbacks driven by women. Most v6 mustangs I see are driven by woman and most Neons and Pontiac Grand Ams and Sunfires I see are driven by woman. Civics are a mixed bag with the 4 door seeming to have more woman drivers where the coupe is more male. Accords and Camry's and Altimas seem pretty split evenly. Most of the Fits I see are driven by men which is weird how it is rated number 1. I would say Tiburons I see are more evenly split. The most popular chick car I see though has definitely been and is Volkswagen Jettas. I can pretty much always count on seeing a young girl driving one. A male friend of mine was debating getting one and I did not recommend he get it because it is such a chick car and people are going to say things.
Old 05-06-08, 12:54 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yuck! ... the only and i do mean ONLY car on that list i might even remotely get into would be the z4 MAYBE ... ack!
Old 05-06-08, 01:53 PM
SilverBull
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife drives the RX so that wouldn't surprise me. The Z4 is a total chick car I think. It just doesn't come off very manly. Actually, it is hard to find a convertible roadster that doesn't exude gay or chick car. One of my friends from college is gay and he drives Volvos and Range Rovers. He is an attorney after all though. I think Targa tops look more manly than verts.
Old 05-06-08, 03:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Have you seen their shoes and handbags? They may not care about keeping up with the Joneses when it comes to cars, but when it comes to shoes and handbags all bets are off. How do you think I justify spending $3500 on rims, $2500 on a pool cue, $1000 here and there for Car Audio/Video gear? It's because they spend just as much in the end on their own stuff
Maybe that's WHY they can afford expensive fashions.....they buy cheap cars.

Right now, a lot of people can't afford either one.....they're having enough problems just paying the mortgage and buying food; but that, of course, is a subject for another thread.
Old 05-06-08, 03:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SilverBull
My wife drives the RX so that wouldn't surprise me. The Z4 is a total chick car I think. It just doesn't come off very manly. Actually, it is hard to find a convertible roadster that doesn't exude gay or chick car. .

So what's UN-manly about roadsters? Just more stereotype nonsense.
In fact, the whole roadster scene in the U.S. really got cranking after World War II, in the late 40s and 50s, with American GI's (who were mostly male) bringing their British MG's, Jaguar XK120/140's, Triumphs, Austin-Healeys, etc.....and Italian Fiat/Bertone Spyders back with them from Europe. Those European roadsters set the stage for our own American Corvettes and 2-seat Thunderbirds in the mid-1950's.
Old 05-06-08, 03:52 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

List seems off or maybe the majority of the lower income portion of the car buying population just way out ranks the higher income cause all the girls I know buy nicer cars
Old 05-06-08, 03:54 PM
stvn
Pole Position

what about rav4 and crv? i think ive seen a guy drive those cars like 3 times
Old 05-07-08, 01:24 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You'll notice the top five on the list are basically econoboxes. That shows that, in some ways, women are more concerned about operating costs than men....and less concerned with status.
I would have to strongly disagree there... show me a rich women with a honda fit, and I'll show you a rich guy on a scooter.

If anything, women prefer status over any other specification in a car.
Old 05-07-08, 06:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
I would have to strongly disagree there... show me a rich women with a honda fit, and I'll show you a rich guy on a scooter.

If anything, women prefer status over any other specification in a car.
You're free to disagree, of course, but I don't see how you can come to that conclusion, with the top-ten list that is the thread topic.

In most cases, rich or poor, one only has a certain amount of money to spend, period. The more you put it into non-automotive things, the less you have left over to spend on a car.

CK6Speed addressed that issue in his post above.

Old 05-07-08, 07:12 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Mazda Miata and the Volkswagen EOS (cabrio replacement) didn't make the cut?
Old 05-08-08, 02:32 AM
george1688
Driver

Originally Posted by whoster
any Lexus RX vehicle has been a staple in the Asian American Mothers market...

or go into K-Town all the BMW 530i's and the MB E350s are women driven...
a little step up and they're doing 745ils--though the S-Class seems to be slightly less common.

For those moms with younger kids they're rocking X5s and Q7s now...
I can highly agree to your statement. Many mums here like to drive the RX (especially the 400h), X5, Q7, Cayenne. Only about 1 out of 10 RXes I seen are driven by men. 5 Series and E-Classes are mostly driven by mums but 7-Series has an equal share of both genders. But surprisingly, people driving Lexus sedans are mostly young men, the age of LS460 buyers is between 33 to 66 and LS600hL being 40 to 80 while the S-Class is a grandparents car.
Old 05-08-08, 10:11 PM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

wow....somehow I do agree with this list...haha
Old 05-09-08, 10:06 AM
shern
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not surprised at any of these vehicles. It's not a coincidence that I would never own any of those cars.

Although, I do feel pretty femanine whipping my wife's Miata around. It sure is fun though.

Quick Reply: Top 10 Cars Driven by Women: