Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Truth in Advertising: Weber Faster One Claims Top Speed of 249-Plus MPH

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-08, 10:22 AM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Truth in Advertising: Weber Faster One Claims Top Speed of 249-Plus MPH

Cooking with gas: Weber Faster One has a 900-horsepower twin-supercharged V8.

Weber Sportcars of Switzerland makes the Faster One, which will go into production this summer.

Price of "the world's fastest street-legal sports car" (according to Weber): about $1.5 million.

The Weber Faster One has a carbon fiber body shell and an aircraft-grade tubular aluminum frame.

Faster One weighs 2,425 pounds and can exceed 249 mph.

Unfortunately, Weber Sportcars seems to have concentrated on speed and power, not beauty and curb appeal.

Here's the Weber grille, pardon the expression.

For an extra charge, buyers will be able to get race or comfort packages for the Faster One.

Inside, the cockpit is a racing-style safety cell with leather and carbon fiber trim.

TOBEL, Switzerland — A consensus seems to be forming around the Faster One, the bizarre creation of Swiss engineer Roman Weber and his Weber Sportcars: Wickedly fast — but oh, so ugly!

We don't necessarily share the opinions of those Web pundits who've whacked the Weber for its dubious styling, with comments ranging from "not so stylish" to "vulgar." But there is little question as to the car's capability.

Weber claims the Faster One is just that: the world's fastest street-legal sports car. Weighing 2,425 pounds and powered by a mid-mounted, twin-supercharged variant of the Corvette's LS7 7.0-liter V8, the two-seater develops nearly 900 horsepower and 774 pound-feet of torque. Power is delivered to all four wheels via a six-speed sequential semiautomatic gearbox with paddle shifters. Acceleration from rest to 60 mph takes less than 2.5 seconds, according to the manufacturer, and top speed is "more than 400 km/h" — which translates to 249-plus mph.

The Faster One is constructed around a lightweight, high-strength tubular frame made of aircraft-grade aluminum, with a carbon fiber shell. Weber said the body was designed in the wind tunnel for maximum efficiency. Unfortunately, aesthetics appear to have been sacrificed in the name of aerodynamics. And, yes, that's an airbox on the roof, located there to feed cooling air into the midships engine bay. A deployable rear wing provides downforce at high speeds and acts as an air brake in the vertical position when the driver applies the brakes.

The chassis features upper and lower control arms, and the car rides on 285/25ZR20 tires in front and 325/25R20s in the rear. The Faster One employs carbon-ceramic brakes and an active traction control system derived from Formula 1 racing cars.

The cockpit is essentially an integrated safety cell trimmed in leather and carbon fiber. Features include an F1-style steering wheel, power steering, automatic climate control, keyless entry, power windows, rearview camera and premium audio system with integral navigation. Buyers can upgrade the basic vehicle with extra-cost extended comfort and race packages.

Weber says small-series production is slated to begin in late summer, with individual cars priced from around $1.5 million.

What this means to you: Bugatti-like performance at Bugatti prices — and without those distracting good looks. — Paul Lienert, Correspondent
Source: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...cleId=126104#2

If the Mega Millions Lotto calls me tonight, I'm sticking with the Veyron.
Old 05-06-08, 10:25 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Overclocker
If the Mega Millions Lotto calls me tonight, I'm sticking with the Veyron.

+1

I don't care if it goes 300mph....u g l y!
Old 05-06-08, 10:40 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lol is that work VS-XX rims? that's about the only thing desirable on that car..
Old 05-06-08, 10:47 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Love the cheap looking video game steering wheel. Sure it is carbon fiber, but for $1.5M couldn't they make a better interior? I would gladly pay $1.55M for a better interior. I'd also gladly pay $1.6M for a better exterior Oh well, can't afford one anyway.
Old 05-06-08, 11:00 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

christ but thats ugly, and its not even in the same LEAGUE as the veyron in that its basically taking racing tech and applying it to the street. the Veyron is special because it can do what it does exceptionally reliably, easily, and in extreme comfort.

im pretty sure that if you stripped all the interior and sound deadening out of the veyron you'll gain a few MPH
Old 05-06-08, 11:12 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haha i like this quote

What this means to you: Bugatti-like performance at Bugatti prices — and without those distracting good looks.
Old 05-06-08, 12:08 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Weber like the bbq makers?!
Old 05-06-08, 12:15 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JessePS
Weber like the bbq makers?!
no
weber the sportscars makers

i doubt weber the BBQ makers made this car because even their Q100 BBQ looks better than this car
lol
Old 05-06-08, 01:19 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I think that the Veyron is nearly as ugly, tbh.
Old 05-06-08, 01:23 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that's one ugly a@@ car there!
Old 05-06-08, 01:28 PM
MrBruin09
Instructor

I'm sorry that is probably one of the ugliest cars I have ever seen!!!!!!

And I find it comical that it looks like it has an after market cd player in a $ 1.5 million dollar car
Old 05-06-08, 01:31 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by adam8065
I'm sorry that is probably one of the ugliest cars I have ever seen!!!!!!

And I find it comical that it looks like it has an after market cd player in a $ 1.5 million dollar car
hehe, that's not so bad, Saleen S7 uses kenwood units, honda/acura with alpine/pioneer made units

most of the car manufactures outsource the deck to a lot of manufactures, some just chose not to redesign them
Old 05-06-08, 02:56 PM
MrBruin09
Instructor

Originally Posted by whlkev
hehe, that's not so bad, Saleen S7 uses kenwood units, honda/acura with alpine/pioneer made units

most of the car manufactures outsource the deck to a lot of manufactures, some just chose not to redesign them
lol..yeah but it just doesn't look that clean when you look inside the car..and isn't a Saleen S7 roughly $900,000 dollars cheaper? If I'm paying an extra $900,000 I want a manufactured head unit damn it!
Old 05-06-08, 04:01 PM
stvn
Pole Position

god damn hideous
Old 05-06-08, 04:31 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But it goes fast and thats all that matters isn't it?