Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I'm in a 328i loaner today and...

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-08, 02:46 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I'm in a 328i loaner today and...

it has absolutely not a single option except the 6-speed auto trans... 1300 dollars or so for that for a total sticker of 34.5k with destination.

It's amazing to me how different this car drives.

It doesn't handle nearly as well... nor accelerate nearly as well, the seats are nowhere near as comfortable, etc, etc... but on the flip side it rides dramatically smoother over bumps. Of course that has everything in the world to do with the 16" wheels with regular tires and non sport suspension vs my 18" with run flats and sport suspension. Still... I'm shocked what a dramatic difference it can make.

That's all I wanted to point out really is what a difference wheel size, tire type, and strut type can make in otherwise the same vehicle.

Does the IS have a dramatic difference between the base IS250 and the sport package IS350? IIRC the IS doesn't have run flats on any model and only goes from 17" base wheels to 18" sport wheels, so the difference probably isn't as dramatic. Not sure if the suspension gets any stiffer between the models... does it?
Old 05-06-08, 02:53 PM
Shant12
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow rly????
Old 05-06-08, 03:29 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
Does the IS have a dramatic difference between the base IS250 and the sport package IS350? IIRC the IS doesn't have run flats on any model and only goes from 17" base wheels to 18" sport wheels, so the difference probably isn't as dramatic. Not sure if the suspension gets any stiffer between the models... does it?
The base IS250 and base IS350 only have engine differences. Base models have 17" wheels. No dramatic difference in performance other than acceleration times.

Sport package on the IS add sport suspension (about a 1/2 inch drop) with mild handling improvement and 18" wheels (amongst other non-performance oriented options). Sportier? Sure. Sport? Not like a Bimmer...
Old 05-06-08, 03:39 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

So BMW does actually have different shocks/struts setups, cause several cars that allegedly have a sport tuned suspension are nothing more then 17in vs 18in wheels.

I always looked at the 328/335 as only having different tires and a sports suspension as an option, now I know the standard suspension on each are different.

Very much appreciated

Other then what you mentioned, day to day how does a 328 compare to a 335, what do you miss, what could you have done without, would a 328 with similar sports package and wheels meet your needs.
Old 05-06-08, 05:16 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EDGE2
So BMW does actually have different shocks/struts setups, cause several cars that allegedly have a sport tuned suspension are nothing more then 17in vs 18in wheels.

I always looked at the 328/335 as only having different tires and a sports suspension as an option, now I know the standard suspension on each are different.

Very much appreciated

Other then what you mentioned, day to day how does a 328 compare to a 335, what do you miss, what could you have done without, would a 328 with similar sports package and wheels meet your needs.
Yep the suspension is changed pretty dramatically - struts and sway bars as well as of course the wheels and tires. Also the seats are dramatically better with adjustable electronic side bolsters and adjustable leg extensions on both front seats, different steering wheel, an extra oil cooler, and I think even a slightly tighter steering ratio. The sport package changes a lot.

There's actually a whole lot different between the 328 and 335i... not just the motor and wheels. The transmission is a dramatically different unit.. much more aggressive ZF transmission with a torque converter that stays locked pretty much all the time on the 335i. The 328i uses a comfortable but not aggressive 6-speed RWD GM transmission. I think the brakes are upgraded, standard xenon adaptive lighting on the 335i, upgraded 13 speaker stereo w/ 2 subs standard on the 335i...

Overall quite a few changes between the two, both in performance and amenities.

I don't think I would want to live with a base 328i on a day to day basis. But I will say I sure wouldn't mind if the 335i could have ride quality a little closer to the base 328i without much compromise in handling.
Old 05-06-08, 06:22 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the info
Old 05-06-08, 08:01 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't notice much difference between the IS350 Sport Package and an IS250 AWD. I drove them back to back. The IS350 was maybe a tad firmer but the biggest difference was the stopping distance (despite the fact that the 350 had more worn tyres than the 250). It stopped shorter at 60km/h than the IS250.
Old 05-06-08, 08:03 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Yup. Other than engine, brakes are different on the IS250 vs IS350. IS350 has the monoblock 4-piston calipers with bigger rotors. I believe the IS250 has regular floating 2-piston calipers for the front.
Old 05-06-08, 08:06 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What about suspension? The 350 had the Sport Package and 18" alloys. Doesn't the Sport Pack include a "sport tuned" suspension? I don't know. If it did, it's Toyota's usual conservative move when it comes to sport suspension cause I didn't notice a big difference btwn that and the AWD's 17" and standard setup.
Old 05-06-08, 08:52 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

We tested the 330ci and 330xi automatic. BOTH WERE AWFUL. Now my dad and I both have grown to dislike the terribly choppy shifting of his 6MT 330xi. Fun car to have for a little while, but not permanently. Unbelievable to me that Subaru can do AWD an MT more comfortable (I said more comfortable, not better [the better is implied]) than an expensive German car company....but then a Subaru is all that cheap either.
Old 05-06-08, 09:51 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,423 Likes on 1,587 Posts

Threxx - run flats could a big part of it too - they all suck.
Old 05-07-08, 06:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

It doesn't handle nearly as well... nor accelerate nearly as well, the seats are nowhere near as comfortable, etc, etc... but on the flip side it rides dramatically smoother over bumps. Of course that has everything in the world to do with the 16" wheels with regular tires and non sport suspension vs my 18" with run flats and sport suspension. Still... I'm shocked what a dramatic difference it can make.

That's all I wanted to point out really is what a difference wheel size, tire type, and strut type can make in otherwise the same vehicle.
A lot of you guys have gotten SO used to the excessively stiff tires and suspensions of today that you have all but forgotten what decent ride quality is like....and so have many auto manufacturers.

In BMW's favor, though, they and Mercedes probably do a better combination of ride-handling than any other manufacturers. They seem to achieve better handling with less loss of ride comfort than anyone else. Anyone can do race-car handling with a bone-jarring ride. BMW and Mercedes do it with at least some refinement.
Old 05-07-08, 07:20 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Unbelievable to me that Subaru can do AWD an MT more comfortable (I said more comfortable, not better [the better is implied]) than an expensive German car company....but then a Subaru is all that cheap either.
No more bias in that statement than when Meowcat tells us the TL is the king of the autocross.
Old 05-07-08, 07:37 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
A lot of you guys have gotten SO used to the excessively stiff tires and suspensions of today that you have all but forgotten what decent ride quality is like....and so have many auto manufacturers.

In BMW's favor, though, they and Mercedes probably do a better combination of ride-handling than any other manufacturers. They seem to achieve better handling with less loss of ride comfort than anyone else. Anyone can do race-car handling with a bone-jarring ride. BMW and Mercedes do it with at least some refinement.
If has been a while since I've driven an ES but I'd actually go so far as to say I prefer the way this 328i rides over the ES in terms of ride comfort. No it's not quite as isolated, but it's far less dramatic over bumps... just because there's no sharp jab from a bump doesn't mean the car isn't swaying and bucking around from it.
Old 05-07-08, 07:43 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

No more bias in that statement than when Meowcat tells us the TL is the king of the autocross.
Perhaps, but then features aside, if I had the choice of an Audi with Quattro or a Subie with Symmetrical, I'd take the Audi. Such a nice system.

X-drive is just not good.