Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Audi S5

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-08, 12:17 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Is it just me or are the pipes on the right oval, round on the left?

Btw, I am in love with this car, just spoke to Audi dealer and one is arriving shortly, he asked if I wanted to test drive it........ <drool>...
i wish they let us test drive the s5 here in socal i have yet to find one that can let me drive it..
Old 12-01-08, 12:40 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i wish they let us test drive the s5 here in socal i have yet to find one that can let me drive it..
Might have an "inside" track on that... my reference was the same guy who got me in on the traveling Audi show last summer, where I drove the new A4 and rode in the R8, so salesman knows the guy well. Maybe why the test drive is a non-issue. Actually, he said, "Let's drive 'em all (R5, A5, 535xi, 335xi, G37x and M35x) and you make the call.

He then told me they have TWO R8s coming by end of January, $140K +TTL... to hit the lottery between now and then......
Old 12-01-08, 01:17 PM
LexFather

Audi dealers are notoriously bad. The ones here treat you like you sell crack...bad crack...

Old 12-01-08, 02:21 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by whlkev
but the m3 is so ugly
IMHO, S5 looks better than M3.
Old 12-01-08, 02:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Might have an "inside" track on that... my reference was the same guy who got me in on the traveling Audi show last summer, where I drove the new A4 and rode in the R8, so salesman knows the guy well. Maybe why the test drive is a non-issue. Actually, he said, "Let's drive 'em all (R5, A5, 535xi, 335xi, G37x and M35x) and you make the call.

He then told me they have TWO R8s coming by end of January, $140K +TTL... to hit the lottery between now and then......
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Audi dealers are notoriously bad. The ones here treat you like you sell crack...bad crack...
sigh, that's sad. actually deep inside i know i still don't wanna buy a car if i can't test drive it first.
Old 12-01-08, 06:29 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Their cars are selling, it's arrogance, I've seen it. If you think they are bad, try a vw dealer..gasp
Old 12-01-08, 06:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by FKL
Their cars are selling, it's arrogance, I've seen it. If you think they are bad, try a vw dealer..gasp
lol the exact SAME audi dealership they sell vw as well. go figure
Old 12-01-08, 06:58 PM
snowday
Driver School Candidate

Is it just me or are the pipes on the right oval, round on the left?

Btw, I am in love with this car, just spoke to Audi dealer and one is arriving shortly, he asked if I wanted to test drive it........ <drool>...
The tips are slash cut to match the curvature of the bumper cover, making the right set appear oval and the left set circular.
Old 12-01-08, 09:16 PM
Mixman
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a West Coast thing. Here on the East Coast it's MSRP. Give it six months, maybe by then you will get $1-2K off.
Old 12-02-08, 05:38 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Mixman
That's a West Coast thing. Here on the East Coast it's MSRP. Give it six months, maybe by then you will get $1-2K off.
+1... the S5 is MSRP, he said they will "definitely" go below... as for R8, again, first deposit wins car, at $140K... this will be their 6th R8 at $140K... actually, $139,450.00....
Old 12-02-08, 09:49 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

+1... the S5 is MSRP, he said they will "definitely" go below... as for R8, again, first deposit wins car, at $140K... this will be their 6th R8 at $140K... actually, $139,450.00....
west cost get more options? the r8 i saw is something like 145k
Old 12-02-08, 09:36 PM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

we went to audi dealership today to look at the s5 (and drove the a5 to get an idea) and my wife loves how the car drives. when talking to the sales (there is a s5 in the lot), he said there is a markup on the car, maybe 5-7k. that doesn't sound right to me especially in today's economy, there is still markup on the car?

then i asked him about what is rough lease payment on the car for tier 1 credit. he said he doesn't know the residual and money factor (grrr....), but payment is like 1200-1300 with 2500-5000 down????!!!!!!!!!! and that's for ONLY 10k annual miles? at that point i just left and didn't pursue further.
This is ridiculous. If you look on leasecompare.com you should see lease prices of $900-$1000/month with 0 down and 12k/yr.

My friend in LA bought the car over the summer, peak car buying season, for $2k markup. If you are willing to special order, you should be able to get it for MSRP. Otherwise I don't see how you could pay > $2k markup, since this is not a peak car sales time and the economy has worsened since summer. My friend did have to shop around a few dealers though before getting that deal.

The S5 is fantastic. I really liked my IS 350, but I love the S5.
Old 12-02-08, 10:33 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by diablo1
This is ridiculous. If you look on leasecompare.com you should see lease prices of $900-$1000/month with 0 down and 12k/yr.

My friend in LA bought the car over the summer, peak car buying season, for $2k markup. If you are willing to special order, you should be able to get it for MSRP. Otherwise I don't see how you could pay > $2k markup, since this is not a peak car sales time and the economy has worsened since summer. My friend did have to shop around a few dealers though before getting that deal.

The S5 is fantastic. I really liked my IS 350, but I love the S5.
ah yes, you are the guy. i remember one guy bought s5 in ny and i couldn't find the thread

thanks for the link to leasecompare.com, will check it out for sure. see, 900-1000 sounds a lot more like it for 12k and 0 down. that's the numbers i got for m3 which is priced in the same category

so i guess more hw needed!!!!!!!!!

thanks again!!!!!! any other info appreciated
Old 12-03-08, 09:57 PM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Audi World is the best internet forum for all things Audi and S5. A5OC is also pretty good.

As far as the S5, here is a summary of my own observations and what I've read from the forums over the past few months

-Get Drive Select if you drive a lot off of highways. Most of my driving is on major freeways, so I did not think it was worth it, but this feature allows you to firm up the steering, adjust the suspension and transmission, etc. If I did more backroads driving I definitely would have gone for it.

-If you want either the B&O stereo or the nav, you should get both. Nav alone has fiber optic wiring but worse audio; B&O alone has great receiver and speakers but no fiber optic wiring - you need both systems to maximize your audio experience.

-If you order straight from the factory, pay MSRP. Otherwise pay MSRP + 2K if you are in Cali, or MSRP to MSRP - 1k if you are anywhere else.

This is an amazing car. Lexus and BMW forums have both agreed that this is an incredible vehicle, and probably the best for the money at this point in time. AWD, insane interior, best looking exterior in class, V8, reasonable MSRP... They could probably raise the price by $5-10k and still sell every car they produce.

Let me know if you have other specific questions! Remember it is a buyers market right now. Walk on any dealership that isn't willing to negotiate.
Old 12-04-08, 04:06 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by diablo1
Audi World is the best internet forum for all things Audi and S5. A5OC is also pretty good.

As far as the S5, here is a summary of my own observations and what I've read from the forums over the past few months

-Get Drive Select if you drive a lot off of highways. Most of my driving is on major freeways, so I did not think it was worth it, but this feature allows you to firm up the steering, adjust the suspension and transmission, etc. If I did more backroads driving I definitely would have gone for it.

-If you want either the B&O stereo or the nav, you should get both. Nav alone has fiber optic wiring but worse audio; B&O alone has great receiver and speakers but no fiber optic wiring - you need both systems to maximize your audio experience.

-If you order straight from the factory, pay MSRP. Otherwise pay MSRP + 2K if you are in Cali, or MSRP to MSRP - 1k if you are anywhere else.

This is an amazing car. Lexus and BMW forums have both agreed that this is an incredible vehicle, and probably the best for the money at this point in time. AWD, insane interior, best looking exterior in class, V8, reasonable MSRP... They could probably raise the price by $5-10k and still sell every car they produce.

Let me know if you have other specific questions! Remember it is a buyers market right now. Walk on any dealership that isn't willing to negotiate.

Thx for the info... I am SERIOUSLY looking at this car....

Quick Reply: Audi S5