Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What type of vehicle should Lexus create next?
2-Seater Roadster (similar to the Z4 or SLK)
32.53%
Compact SUV/Crossover (similar to X3 or EX35)
6.02%
Sport Wagon (similar to 3-Series Wagon or V70)
10.84%
Luxury Sport Coupe (similar to CL-Class)
38.55%
Other (please describe...)
3.61%
Dedicated Fuel-Saving Hybrid
8.43%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

What is missing in Lexus' model line-up?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-08, 02:57 PM
100plus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

LF-A, it really needs to be put into production.
fix the IS lineup with a wider range of choice. IS- wagon, coupe, 350 AWD and Manual transmission. And better tuning options from factory (i.e. supercharger)
Old 05-08-08, 03:46 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
I always like a big luxury coupe from Lexus.
Not buble like SC430 ( no offense to SC430, I like it too ), but a real big coupe!
I totally agree with you. While I love my SC430, I feel there should be a fixed roof coupe monster along the lines of the Bentley GT or MB CL. That is a must and Lexus could do it at a fraction of the cost of either of those. Somewhere around $75-80K. LWB is a must! With LS600hL Front end treatment. A hybrid and non hybrid version would kill.
Old 05-08-08, 03:57 PM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Lexus gots to get some kind of a coupe. A 2 door IS350 would be nice. Use the SC as a hard top convertible similar in size as the GS with the LS 4.6 version.
Old 05-08-08, 05:06 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

if Lexus actually made a luxury sedan that sipped gas in the 30's and 40's, PEOPLE WILL BUY IT.

There are people like me out there that love Lexus sedans but want efficient gas mileage. I'm still deciding which Lexus I am going with next that can save me the most mileage. My order of priority...GS>ES>IS
Old 05-08-08, 05:43 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

wagons and vans don't sell well.
no need to waste money developing them.

lexus needs just a small coupe and a true sports car to round out the top.
Old 05-08-08, 06:12 PM
LexFather

I would love to see a CL class competitor, a big body coupe.

However, they need a cheaper coupe, ala 3/G37 and now A5...

Old 05-08-08, 10:13 PM
Diemellz
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I would love to see a CL class competitor, a big body coupe.

However, they need a cheaper coupe, ala 3/G37 and now A5...
i agree with u 100%, they need a CL competitor asap, also im so disappointed in the 600hl joke car, (no disrepect to 600hl lovers/owners) but they need 2 drop the hybrid, drop the 2 back doors and add 8 more cylinders, and make that car an real enthusiast coupe
Old 05-09-08, 11:08 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

In my opinion Lexus is missing the following models:

1. Super car: A two seated pure super car with more than 500hp coming from a high revving V10 engine, rear wheel driven and dual clutch auto manual transmission. Price should be set at early six figure.

2. Sports coupe: A 2+2 two door coupe, derived from the current IS model with the same engine and transmission from the sedan counterpart.

3. Roadster: Just like SLK or Z4, Lexus needs a high performance two seated roadster, with tight steering, high output engine, firm suspension to create sporty feeling. Of course, it must look very stylish in order to attract people who are willing to compromise the practicality for the look.

Lexus is currently avoiding any low volume type of vehicle. This would hinder its goal of creating a sporty image.
Old 05-09-08, 11:54 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

1. Super car: A two seated pure super car with more than 500hp coming from a high revving V10 engine, rear wheel driven and dual clutch auto manual transmission. Price should be set at early six figure.

really? early six figure? that would be way to close to the LS600H. if they ever mass produce it, it should start at 130K or higher. it should have an all carbon fiber body.
Old 05-09-08, 11:56 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
wagons and vans don't sell well.
no need to waste money developing them.
+1

....especially if you're referring to ES or GS sized...a smaller IS wagon hybrid might do okay.
Old 05-09-08, 01:48 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RXSF
really? early six figure? that would be way to close to the LS600H. if they ever mass produce it, it should start at 130K or higher. it should have an all carbon fiber body.

...... LF-A ?
Old 05-09-08, 02:59 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Whats missing, Passion and Driving excitement, the cars do not excite me, I was gonna trade my Maxima for a GS350 but I hate the disconnected feeling, something about Lexus bores me, the last generation of cars where great, this new batch is like the LS but not for the money, an S Class or 7 Series has more image and prestige around these parts, cheaper with more options.

Sadly, I'm not buying a car that is referred to as a Toyota, to many people I know refer to Lexus as Toyota, so when a Lexus is a Lexus I'll buy one but not until then, they need a real image not a Toyota backed brand
Old 05-09-08, 03:20 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EDGE2
Whats missing, Passion and Driving excitement, the cars do not excite me, I was gonna trade my Maxima for a GS350 but I hate the disconnected feeling, something about Lexus bores me, the last generation of cars where great, this new batch is like the LS but not for the money, an S Class or 7 Series has more image and prestige around these parts, cheaper with more options.

Sadly, I'm not buying a car that is referred to as a Toyota, to many people I know refer to Lexus as Toyota, so when a Lexus is a Lexus I'll buy one but not until then, they need a real image not a Toyota backed brand
so you are one of those people who buy cars based on reputation? too many car live off their reputation even when they start cutting corners left and right...
Old 05-09-08, 03:29 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The LS is a Lexus through and through, so are the new GS/IS, and last I checked the LS less expensive than the S/7. I agree however that there is a need to inject more excitement, even though the detractors will always deride Lexus as 'just a Toyota' no matter what. I am definitely looking for coupes from Lexus...wasn't that a thread title a while back ("we need coupes")?
Old 05-09-08, 05:59 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OTHER: a Supercar, i.e. the LF-A, which is also the option closest to production at the moment from what we've seen (production should be announced soon after the 24-hour endurance race at Nurburgring this month). Though likely to be produced in very limited quantity, the car will greatly enhance Lexus's brand image.

I voted for a 2-Seater Roadster though. It's something that both enhances the image of the brand and is at the same time, attainable by the masses. Lexus should definitely do it. Oh yeah like some people said above, a 2-seater or 2+2 coupe is a must too, though hopefully the upcoming IS coupe will take care of it. The SC can become a LS-based luxury sport coupe for all I care.

Luxury Compact SUV/Crossover is a bit too down-market. Judging from the sales of the X3 and the EX35 so far, I don't see such a vehicle bringing either image or much profit for Lexus.

Sport Wagon... meh... only if they are serious about the European market. But for that they should instead focus on a good 6-cylinder diesel engine first before spending resource on a sport wagon.

Luxury Sport Coupe, like a supercar, will greatly enhance the image of the brand but will remain in a very niche market. No need to hurry if it's not already in development.

A Dedicated Fuel-Saving Hybrid is already confirmed and should be announced soon. It will give Lexus a good boost to the sales number given the current oil prices.

Great thread BTW. People at the Lexus corporate should really read this, or their sales is gonna continue to stagnate.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 05-09-08 at 06:42 PM.

Quick Reply: What is missing in Lexus' model line-up?