Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Are Hybrids worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-08, 11:11 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
Prius / Camry / Corolla

Length: 175" / 189" / 178"
Width: 67" / 71" / 66"
Height: 58" / 58" / 58"

Looks to me like the Prius is just slightly larger than a Corolla and much closer in size to the Corolla than the Camry.

I mean if you really want to get that hung up on EPA size classifications, the Accord is a large car according to the EPA. The Camry and Altima are midsized cars. Yet everyone that considers the closest competitors to the Accord considers the Camry and Altima, not the Crown Victoria (another EPA large car).
Yea, specs wise the Accord jumped into the large car category. Personally I'm not a fan of cars growing in size. Just like how I'm not a fan of how most of the higher end luxury cars are the larger sized cars. I'm not that don't like to drive a large car. The reason why we got the BMW 330i as sold the LS400 was because my wife didn't like driving such a large car. To be honest, the LS400 was pretty large even for me. The GS is about the perfect sized car for me.
Old 05-13-08, 11:25 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

But on the subject of interior volume...
Prius: 96 CuF
Camry: 101 CuF
Corolla: 92 CuF

Once again the Prius is closer in interior volume to the Corolla than it is the Camry.

Just kinda shows that it's a little bit narrow minded to simply divide by EPA size classification.
I always thought the Prius was a small car before I bought one.

Go sit in the back seat of a Prius - its huge (I'm 6 ft) and this was after I adjusted the front seat to my driving position - then go sit in a Corolla, you'll see what I mean.
Old 05-13-08, 11:33 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
I always thought the Prius was a small car before I bought one.

Go sit in the back seat of a Prius - its huge (I'm 6 ft) and this was after I adjusted the front seat to my driving position - then go sit in a Corolla, you'll see what I mean.
I don't ever sit in the back seat of my car and rarely have anyone tall riding back there, so I wouldn't be as concerned with that as I might be with the room up front.

Anyhow... point being it's not incorrect of me to compare a Corolla with a Prius. They're closer in size than the Prius and Camry... plus I would never consider a Camry because of their lacking economy (not only do they cost more but they get worse mileage).
Old 05-13-08, 11:49 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

I don't ever sit in the back seat of my car and rarely have anyone tall riding back there, so I wouldn't be as concerned with that as I might be with the room up front.

Anyhow... point being it's not incorrect of me to compare a Corolla with a Prius. They're closer in size than the Prius and Camry... plus I would never consider a Camry because of their lacking economy (not only do they cost more but they get worse mileage).

okay sit in the front seat of both and put the seat back as far as you can.....Yao Ming could drive a Prius!
Old 05-13-08, 12:33 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pitmanr200
This has propably been talked about before, but I was thinking about it today and it got me wandering. Are Hybrids worth It?

I decided to see if it would be worth it for me. I went to toyota.com and priced camry with 4cy hybrid and regular 4cyl. Base model on both. The cost of the hybrid was almost 28,000 and the regular was almost 20,000.

Now being I drive some city and highway I just took boths average and figured it up based on that. With that said driving 35 miles round trip to work everyday and 175 total miles a week the hybrid would cost around 25 dollars a week and the regular would cost me 30. That is a woppping 5 dollars a week savings!!

That means around 260 dollars a year savings. Now take that and divide it into the 7800 dollars more that the hybrid cost and the car would pay for the difference in 30 years. That is if it doesn cost more to maintain.

Doesnt sound like a very good idea for gas prices to me. Are hybrids just a scam or really worth it? What do you all think? Also there maybe better hybrids that I could get to get better fuel economy. I just took the camry.
You're comparing a base hybrid to a base Camry ignoring the fact that it comes with XLE levels of standard equipment.

440W JBL Audio, CD Changer, bluetooth, VDIM (not available on reg. Camrys), LED taillights, dual-zone auto A/C w/ plasmacluster, multi-function display, auto-dimming mirror, alloys etc etc.

Again, you can't really... say yes it's worth it or not it's worth it and expect it to apply to everyone. Everyone will have their own levels of what something is worth. To some, they do a lot more miles per year or spend more time in the city so to them it's worth it. For someone like a pensioner who maybe drives 5 miles to the supermarket and then to the bingo hall, it's not worth it cause they don't drive a lot.
Old 05-13-08, 01:20 PM
pitmanr200
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Prius' now start at $21100...not bad....when I bought one in 2006, I also got the full tax credit of $3150 which I believe in now gone. The Prius is actually classified as a MIDSIZE car -- larger than the Lexus IS!!!!

I sold it about a year later when I found a 2000 Honda Insight with 47K miles for $8500.

I drive 55 miles RT a day and am averaging 72.1 MPG over the 17000 miles I've owned the car [I also carpool every single day with my wife].

This car more than pays for itself in the gas savings alone!!!!!!!!!

I routinely get over 700+ miles on a tank of gas (record is 970 when I topped it off 100%); I can usually squeeze in 10 gallons.

I fill it up about every 3 weeks.

Note - battery under warranty for 10 years 150000 miles

SO ARE HYBRIDS WORTH IT TO ME????? HELL YES!!!!!!

I like to screw the oil companies as much as I can.

Now 70 miles to a gallon that is worth it, but can you fit a family of 4 in it and lugage for a long vacation and still ride comportably. If so great, but if not then u would be stuck paying for another car.
Old 05-13-08, 01:35 PM
pitmanr200
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Nextourer
You're comparing a base hybrid to a base Camry ignoring the fact that it comes with XLE levels of standard equipment.

440W JBL Audio, CD Changer, bluetooth, VDIM (not available on reg. Camrys), LED taillights, dual-zone auto A/C w/ plasmacluster, multi-function display, auto-dimming mirror, alloys etc etc.

Again, you can't really... say yes it's worth it or not it's worth it and expect it to apply to everyone. Everyone will have their own levels of what something is worth. To some, they do a lot more miles per year or spend more time in the city so to them it's worth it. For someone like a pensioner who maybe drives 5 miles to the supermarket and then to the bingo hall, it's not worth it cause they don't drive a lot.
ok point taken im not comparing apples to apples. So theres 2000 dollars difference. that would take 8 years for me to recover. Now What happens if gas prices lower they could as well they could go up. That will all adjust this figure.

I think they should sell a base model hybrid camry to make it more apealing. I would propably go with the prius first though, if I could get over its ugly looks. I guess the gs 400 makes it hard to settle on something fuel efficient.
Old 05-13-08, 03:16 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Now 70 miles to a gallon that is worth it, but can you fit a family of 4 in it and lugage for a long vacation and still ride comportably. If so great, but if not then u would be stuck paying for another car.
In the United States is not uncommon this day in age for families to have more than one car.
Old 05-13-08, 03:30 PM
pitmanr200
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
In the United States is not uncommon this day in age for families to have more than one car.

I understand that, but why have 3 or 4. and if you do you have to have 3 cars you have to count in taxes, service, insurance, payments, etc and see if its worth it.
Old 05-13-08, 03:32 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Who said anything about having three or four cars?
Old 05-13-08, 04:54 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I understand that, but why have 3 or 4. and if you do you have to have 3 cars you have to count in taxes, service, insurance, payments, etc and see if its worth it.
Well, one hybrid and one larger traditional family car is still better than two traditional family cars. There are very few families that have only 1 car anyway. Maybe not 3-4, although we have 3 cars and only my wife, myself and my 4 year old son, but I'll probably sell one before the year is out.

Or, if you have to have 3 cars, it still could be better to have two hybrids. One for the wife and one for you, then a larger family car when you need it.
Old 05-13-08, 07:21 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Now What happens if gas prices lower they could as well they could go up.

LOLOLOLOLOL, I can pretty much guarantee you gas prices won't be dropping unfortunately....that's one thing you don't have to figure into your calculations.

I work for an airline and NEVER, EVER drive anywhere long distance.

99% of the time the Insight suits our needs, the other 1% - picking the kid up from the airport when he comes home from college 2 twice a year the Audi will suffice.

if you have a family w/kids still at home, I'd get the Prius if you drive enough to make it worth your while; if you want an SUV get the Escape Hybrid (for 35mpg?) $3100 tax credit still applies; or an H2 if you like feeding the oil monsters...(that way you can tow your boat once a year if you have one).

Last edited by bagwell; 05-13-08 at 07:31 PM.
Old 05-13-08, 07:35 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,405 Likes on 1,577 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Personally, I think the reaction to higher gas prices for many is just a knee jerk reaction. There are so many people I know that now have very economical cars, or now take the bus or ride a bike to work because of the higher gas prices, yet take trips to Vegas 2-3 times a year and gamble their money away.
Definitely. Well at least the money is staying in the U.S. that way.
Old 05-13-08, 08:26 PM
Jujharoo
Lead Lap

If you read about hacked Prius, they are getting over 90 MPG out of them.

basically you install a switch, car runs on battery it limits the car to 34 MPH on local roads and then once you get on highway or want to go faster or for recharge, you turn the engine on.
Old 05-13-08, 10:17 PM
pitmanr200
Lead Lap

LOLOLOLOLOL, I can pretty much guarantee you gas prices won't be dropping unfortunately....that's one thing you don't have to figure into your calculations.

I wander if the said the same things back in the 70's when gas prices sky rocketed causing manufactures to make muscle cars have less power and be more fuel efficient. Now dont get me wrong i dont expect it to lower but it could.

I work for an airline and NEVER, EVER drive anywhere long distance.

Not everyone is fortunate as you are to have that option. I would say most people arent.

99% of the time the Insight suits our needs, the other 1% - picking the kid up from the airport when he comes home from college 2 twice a year the Audi will suffice.

I agree that the insight is wort it, but they dont make it anymore. kind of makes you wander why not. Maybe the oil companies?

if you have a family w/kids still at home, I'd get the Prius if you drive enough to make it worth your while; if you want an SUV get the Escape Hybrid (for 35mpg?) $3100 tax credit still applies; or an H2 if you like feeding the oil monsters...(that way you can tow your boat once a year if you have one).
I dont think I would drive the prius enough but it is better when you compare camry to hybrid camry. I just think that they should do more than a couple mpg difference to be beneficial.

There is also that taste think. I onestly thing that the prius is ugly. I quess im still young and like to have a nice looking car even if it gets worse gas mileage. Also I can work on normal gas cars which saves me in labor fees. I wouldnt have a clue on one of those hybrids. That makes it cost me more.

I quess for the right person a hybrid is worth it, but not for me.

Quick Reply: Are Hybrids worth it?