Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Are Hybrids worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-08, 10:17 PM
pitmanr200
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jujharoo
If you read about hacked Prius, they are getting over 90 MPG out of them.

basically you install a switch, car runs on battery it limits the car to 34 MPH on local roads and then once you get on highway or want to go faster or for recharge, you turn the engine on.
now that would be nice. but is it safe and will it void warranty?
Old 05-13-08, 10:53 PM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pitmanr200
I dont think I would drive the prius enough but it is better when you compare camry to hybrid camry. I just think that they should do more than a couple mpg difference to be beneficial.

There is also that taste think. I onestly thing that the prius is ugly. I quess im still young and like to have a nice looking car even if it gets worse gas mileage. Also I can work on normal gas cars which saves me in labor fees. I wouldnt have a clue on one of those hybrids. That makes it cost me more.

I quess for the right person a hybrid is worth it, but not for me.
There isn't any special maintenances that you have to do with a hybrid over a regular ICE car
Old 05-17-08, 10:30 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Now 70 miles to a gallon that is worth it, but can you fit a family of 4 in it and lugage for a long vacation and still ride comportably. If so great, but if not then u would be stuck paying for another car.
ok point taken im not comparing apples to apples. So theres 2000 dollars difference. that would take 8 years for me to recover. Now What happens if gas prices lower they could as well they could go up. That will all adjust this figure.

I think they should sell a base model hybrid camry to make it more apealing. I would propably go with the prius first though, if I could get over its ugly looks. I guess the gs 400 makes it hard to settle on something fuel efficient.
Have you taken into account maintenance? My brake pads on the Prius (90% city driving) as of 80,000km is about 90% front, 95% rear. Brand new in other words. In this case, I probably won't need to change the brakes for another 5 years lol.

I agree. A base model Camry would be nice. I think they tried to do it with the decontented 2008 model.

Originally Posted by Jujharoo
If you read about hacked Prius, they are getting over 90 MPG out of them.

basically you install a switch, car runs on battery it limits the car to 34 MPH on local roads and then once you get on highway or want to go faster or for recharge, you turn the engine on.
The EV mod does NOT improve mpg. I have one installed. I use it for other purposes. The P&G technique will get you that 80mpg (90 is pushing it and that 100+mpg was cool but I probably wouldn't try that hard haha). I've gotten 60mpg in the hilly west coast. I'm sure 70mpg is possible in the flat areas.

I dont think I would drive the prius enough but it is better when you compare camry to hybrid camry. I just think that they should do more than a couple mpg difference to be beneficial.

There is also that taste think. I onestly thing that the prius is ugly. I quess im still young and like to have a nice looking car even if it gets worse gas mileage. Also I can work on normal gas cars which saves me in labor fees. I wouldnt have a clue on one of those hybrids. That makes it cost me more.

I quess for the right person a hybrid is worth it, but not for me.
There's no special maintenance. It's the same 2AZ engine as the regular cylinder Camry. Same engine oil too.

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Well, one hybrid and one larger traditional family car is still better than two traditional family cars. There are very few families that have only 1 car anyway. Maybe not 3-4, although we have 3 cars and only my wife, myself and my 4 year old son, but I'll probably sell one before the year is out.

Or, if you have to have 3 cars, it still could be better to have two hybrids. One for the wife and one for you, then a larger family car when you need it.
exactly. Americans have to get over the "one vehicle does all" mentality. You don't need to SUVs. One is fine for the family vacation and Home Depot run. Get a a fuel efficient commuter car for the 2nd one.

Originally Posted by xioix
There isn't any special maintenances that you have to do with a hybrid over a regular ICE car
What xioix said.
Old 05-18-08, 04:05 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Yea, specs wise the Accord jumped into the large car category. Personally I'm not a fan of cars growing in size. Just like how I'm not a fan of how most of the higher end luxury cars are the larger sized cars. I'm not that don't like to drive a large car. The reason why we got the BMW 330i as sold the LS400 was because my wife didn't like driving such a large car. To be honest, the LS400 was pretty large even for me. The GS is about the perfect sized car for me.
Kinda OT but I'm with you there. One of the reasons I do like the 3GS, the length grew by .1 inch. Everything just got huge in this class.