Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Audi, BMW to join Lexus in offering 8-speed transmissions

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-08, 08:14 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hit quite a few nerves

To be fair I did said people are not going to like that post.
Lexus does have a CVT and try to market it with a little grey, I am just pointing it out like I see it so just relax and don't get your paddle shifts in a bunch.
Old 05-13-08, 08:34 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

BMW tried a 9 speed. It proved to be less efficient than just having 8 gears.
Old 05-14-08, 08:42 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
This is a great day, first the IS-F tails on the Ferrari and now this. Now all the people that bished that 8 speeds were excessive can come in here and apologize or they get banned too

J/K

"I told you so" just isn't saying enough !!!
LOL... I posted this in the Ferrari thread but 8 speeds seems excessive in the IS-F IMO and copying this isn't a good idea. A CVT that can handle the power is, 8 speeds that you have down downshift 4 gears to get hauling on the expressway seems a bit much. The exhaust is just a terrible thing.

Just to delve into the transmission thing a bit more: I'd much rather have a 7 speed with two taller gears for expressway driving or a 6 speed with one super tall gear for the fuel economy. The eight speed seems to have one gear that's way too short (1st seems almost useless) and two that are too close at the top (7th and 8th). This could just be over analyzing things but when in auto mode I'm not as bothered by it but when I'm in manual mode I am.
Old 05-14-08, 10:05 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormwind
Well, contrary to Lexus' faux 8 speed the ones BMW is developing is a real 8 speed tranny which means it actually has 8 gears and can benefit from better fuel economy. The ones found in Lexus is a CVT tranny which has no gears and they can easily call it a 9 speed or 10 speed or 20 for that matter, I wouldn't be suprised if they do try to market it as a 9 speed after BMW comes out with their 8.
Stupidest post of the year award!

Originally Posted by Stormwind
To be fair I did said people are not going to like that post.
Lexus does have a CVT and try to market it with a little grey, I am just pointing it out like I see it so just relax and don't get your paddle shifts in a bunch.
More misinformation. Man you're on a roll!

Read your quote above dude, you said Lexus's 8speed was a CVT. You pointing it out like you see it still? Because your statement was COMPELTELY WRONG. Lexus/Toyota has never stated their CVT was an anything speed except a 2-speed; which is correct because their CVTs have different gearing modes that are selected depending on the state of the car. And for that matter, they are only used in the hybrid vehicles and Lexus/Toyota does NOT market those CVT transmissions; they are primarily a GIVEN.

Originally Posted by Mr Johnson
LOL... I posted this in the Ferrari thread but 8 speeds seems excessive in the IS-F IMO and copying this isn't a good idea. A CVT that can handle the power is, 8 speeds that you have down downshift 4 gears to get hauling on the expressway seems a bit much. The exhaust is just a terrible thing.

Just to delve into the transmission thing a bit more: I'd much rather have a 7 speed with two taller gears for expressway driving or a 6 speed with one super tall gear for the fuel economy. The eight speed seems to have one gear that's way too short (1st seems almost useless) and two that are too close at the top (7th and 8th). This could just be over analyzing things but when in auto mode I'm not as bothered by it but when I'm in manual mode I am.
To be fair, I'd assume the rear gear ratio on the IS-F is a lot shorter than the LS460 is.

Last edited by Bean; 05-14-08 at 10:12 AM.
Old 05-14-08, 10:16 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEyhZxUio64