Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Suggestions. Driving from West to East Coast.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-08, 07:34 AM
beez43
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AFTERMATH!!!! PICS!!!! Suggestions. Driving from West to East Coast.

So guys.. My car gets to LBC on the 29th and I need to drive it up to DC. What is the best stretch of highway in your opinions when considering time efficiency, safety, and good sights? Also, would you guys tape up the front of your rides with painter's tape as well? What height would you guys ride in if you had 19's and the alignment was done when the car was dropped with the rear tires slightly tucking and the front has about a .5 finger gap? I appreciate any ideas and suggestions and thanks in advance for your inputs!!

Last edited by beez43; 05-31-08 at 09:50 PM.
Old 05-13-08, 10:00 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

whenever you can get on highway 70 you should pick it up and it will take you all the way into MD, its a pretty drive through the Rockies and the Appalachians. when i took this drive i drove from denver to reston va and mapquest said 70 the whole way, now when i try it says like 76 to... all kinds of different roads... i liked 70 cuz it went through all the major cities and you could see the rural lands and leading up to the suburbs leading to the cities and out again repeatedly + the 2 different sets of mountains to look at...

i also recommend putting the stock wheels + tires back on since they give you that nice cushy ride.. good luck yo
Old 05-13-08, 11:27 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've done that trip (but I went from D.C. to L.A. )

Do L.A. to Havasu to Flagstaff to Gallup to Alberqueque. That takes 12-13 hours.

Then from Alberqueque, head to Amarillo to Oklahoma City to Little Rock to Memphis. That takes 13-15 hours.

Finally, Memphis to Nashville to D.C. should be another 10-12 hours.

With rest stops and overnight stays, you can do it comfortably in 3 days. Good luck!

Last edited by PhilipMSPT; 05-13-08 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Needed to change time estimates...
Old 05-13-08, 11:35 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Phil on most of those.

LA > Flagstaff > Amarillo > Tulsa (past OKC) > and then past Tulsa it's really up to you... you could head north to St. Louis, cut through Louisville and West Virginia to DC, or do what Phil suggests...

Most of the interstates cutting cross many states are pretty much same, just differently numbered (from what I've noticed)
Old 05-13-08, 11:36 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sojah
whenever you can get on highway 70 you should pick it up and it will take you all the way into MD, its a pretty drive through the Rockies and the Appalachians. when i took this drive i drove from denver to reston va and mapquest said 70 the whole way, now when i try it says like 76 to... all kinds of different roads... i liked 70 cuz it went through all the major cities and you could see the rural lands and leading up to the suburbs leading to the cities and out again repeatedly + the 2 different sets of mountains to look at...

i also recommend putting the stock wheels + tires back on since they give you that nice cushy ride.. good luck yo

I think the 70 is a bit too northerly....
Old 05-13-08, 05:50 PM
beez43
Pole Position

Thanks a lot for your info guys!! what about taping the front bumper up and i do not have stock wheels as well fyi.
Old 05-13-08, 06:04 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Definitely take I-15 to I-70, very scenic route (Virgin River Gorge) I-70 is also great with many views. (Canyons in Utah, Colorado; especially Glenwood Canyon)

Virgin River Gorge

Glenwood Canyon
Old 05-13-08, 06:08 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I'd seriously consider buying stock wheels for the trip:

1. Difficulty in finding the right sized 19" low pro tire if you get a flat in BFE;
2. Road noise/ride comfort for 2000 miles;
3. Possible damage to your 19" wheels, even if it's cosmetic (rock chips);
4. Price of stock wheels with tires = cost of 2000 miles of tire wear on 19" tires.

Painters tape is probably a good idea too if you don't mind the ugliness.
Old 05-13-08, 06:12 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by pvmike1
I'd seriously consider buying stock wheels for the trip:

1. Difficulty in finding the right sized 19" low pro tire if you get a flat in BFE;
2. Road noise/ride comfort for 2000 miles;
3. Possible damage to your 19" wheels, even if it's cosmetic (rock chips);
4. Price of stock wheels with tires = cost of 2000 miles of tire wear on 19" tires.

Painters tape is probably a good idea too if you don't mind the ugliness.
LA to DC is not 2000 miles.

It is closer to 3,000mi, give or take a few hundred. I agree however on attaining the stock wheels for the trip, I-15 in california is not kind to large wheels.
Old 05-13-08, 10:10 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,955 Likes on 2,395 Posts

Unless I-40 has been completely repaved from Amarillo to Oklahoma City, I would avoid it. I drove it last May in my Supra with Tein HAs (newly rebuilt), and it was no less than punishing. The pavement has severe frost heaves and I was certain I'd bent a wheel more than once. If you are lowered on tires with small sidewalls, I'd REALLY avoid it.
Old 05-13-08, 10:22 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've driven cross-country 7 times, on every interstate route from I-70 south (I-40, I-30/20/10, and I-10 all the way). There are advantages to each. Mostly to me it depends on the time of year--in the winter I'll take the southern route and in the summer I'll move north. I've never used tape, and never got more than a few rock dings that touch-up paint covered up. Changing out wheels also sounds like more trouble than it's worth--if you can't drive in the wheels then why'd you get them in the first place?!
Old 05-14-08, 12:56 AM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Unless I-40 has been completely repaved from Amarillo to Oklahoma City, I would avoid it. I drove it last May in my Supra with Tein HAs (newly rebuilt), and it was no less than punishing. The pavement has severe frost heaves and I was certain I'd bent a wheel more than once. If you are lowered on tires with small sidewalls, I'd REALLY avoid it.
I-40 also has a ton of those pesky state troopers in Texas, as well.

Ever gotten paced for going 67 in a 65?
Old 05-14-08, 10:23 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, but I can't say I found I-10 any less patrolled than the other routes.
Old 05-14-08, 10:46 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Iceman
No, but I can't say I found I-10 any less patrolled than the other routes.
I found I-70 to be less patrolled than I-10 or I-40 in general.
Old 05-23-08, 08:30 AM
beez43
Pole Position

thanks guys for all your help and fyi i dont have my stocks since they are back in hawaii as well.

Quick Reply: Suggestions. Driving from West to East Coast.